A Warning To Those Travelling Morchit-pattaya........

libya 115

SOURCE: Pattaya Mail: May 25th 2007

Short changed at bus station

Dear Sir, Madam,

I hereby wish to make a complaint about the lady selling bus tickets for Morchit Bangkok at the Pattaya bus station.

On Sunday morning my wife bought two tickets to Morchit bus station Bangkok. Each ticket costs 121 Bath, that makes a total of 242 baht She gave the lady who sells the tickets 1000 Bath and as she comes to me to say goodbye I asked her how much money did you get back? She looks and says she has 658 baht!

Now this is not the first time this ticket lady pulls this trick, I had it already done to me twice so my temper went off like a rocket. I went straight to the ticket window and told the lady that she gave my wife 100 baht short and this was not the first time that she has done that.

She knew very well she done wrong because without looking at my face she gave 100 baht back!

If this lady takes 100 baht every time somebody pays with a 1000 Bath bill, she sure makes a nice profit at the end of the day. I find it disgusting that somebody with such a job takes advantage of the non-suspecting passengers who thinks this lady who handles money every day is somebody you can trust.

I call this dishonesty and I hope this practice comes to an end.

Belgian Expat living in Pattaya

I always get my change first from baht bus drivers if I don't have small coins, I show them the 100 50 or 20 note and ask for change first, some get a little irrate but they know why I do this - so I get my correct change. I got stung too many times, the good drivers don't care as long as they get the proper fares, the bad ones are those that get irrate.

SOURCE: Pattaya Mail: May 25th 2007

Short changed at bus station

Dear Sir, Madam,

I hereby wish to make a complaint about the lady selling bus tickets for Morchit Bangkok at the Pattaya bus station.

On Sunday morning my wife bought two tickets to Morchit bus station Bangkok. Each ticket costs 121 Bath, that makes a total of 242 baht She gave the lady who sells the tickets 1000 Bath and as she comes to me to say goodbye I asked her how much money did you get back? She looks and says she has 658 baht!

Now this is not the first time this ticket lady pulls this trick, I had it already done to me twice so my temper went off like a rocket. I went straight to the ticket window and told the lady that she gave my wife 100 baht short and this was not the first time that she has done that.

She knew very well she done wrong because without looking at my face she gave 100 baht back!

If this lady takes 100 baht every time somebody pays with a 1000 Bath bill, she sure makes a nice profit at the end of the day. I find it disgusting that somebody with such a job takes advantage of the non-suspecting passengers who thinks this lady who handles money every day is somebody you can trust.

I call this dishonesty and I hope this practice comes to an end.

Belgian Expat living in Pattaya

I didn't take the bus for the past 5 years but at that time already it happened frequently.I noticed it once and since then every time I counted my money before leaving and most of the time it was short of change.

The worst short-changers are baht bus drivers.

If you give them 100 baht you will be lucky to get any more than 40 baht back.

So always carry small change for the baht bus.

When I used to ride the disgusting buses, I made it a habit to grab all my 1 bath coins and sometimes satang. I love handing it the driver especially if I'm paying for a group.

Incorrect change for the 1,000 baht note is a common problem here. My friend-girl and I were at SF cinema at the Big-C. I let her go buy a couple tickets and we were well into the foyer before I realized the attendant had shorted her 100 baht. Be suspicious if they try and engage you in some silly conversation, it's a diversionary tactic to get your mind off counting your change. It's unfortunate that you have to be so paranoid because there certainly are many painfully honest Thai people but for some, fleecing the farang is most definitely the national pastime. :o