Thai Post office - Warning - undisclosed delays to the US

lowp

I went the Chamchuri branch post office like I have done for years on May 11 to send registered letter to the IRS. When periodically checking on its status, it was stuck in Thailand since May 13th. After over a month with no movement/change, I went with a Thai friend to find out what is really going on. They even showed me their own tracking screen behind the counter - showing the same thing - except for the detail that it is still at the airport! Then they went into a song and dance about disinfection etc when UVc light only takes a few seconds. They could give no answer about when it would ever be mailed. Normally airmail from Thailand to the US takes 10-14 days. As it turns out my May 11th letter did not arrive on the US mainland till July 3rd! 53 days later - then a few more to its destination.

There is more going on in the Thai post office recently too. About a month ago I received 2 letters (over 2 months late also from the US) that had major water damage such that only part of a few lines were readable. The Thai post stamp on the outside claimed they were received damaged when it was during the time of rains here locally. Our condo has an inside mail counter.

Before I sent the May 11 letter I had contacted the post office specifically asking if there any issues with regular airmail to the US as last year in April they had shut down normal airmail and I was forced to send things via expensive express mail as the only option. They assured me that was only a temporary problem last year as some staff had covid, but this year everything was OK. Clearly it is not. The tracking number is rr264961236th if you want to look it up. See pic for tracking as it stands now.

Thailand would be better served by instructing postal staff to inform customers about existing delays instead of pretending they don't exist.

USPS Tracking  264961236th-2.gif

• Like 1

because of backlog at the airport depo at the end of april till 5th May, your letter went by boat.

Those send later are going normal 2 weeks.

Also there is a problem with the UPS not recording arrival and delivery times.

They have still post-covid hiccups.

It's not fault of thai post office. They send away within 1-2 days

I had to put a stop payment on my checks to the IRS. And that letter is still stuck at US Customs according to the Thai Post Office tracking system. If you have to send mail to a PO Box in the US you are out of luck, not even FedEx will take them anymore. You are going to have to send it to a friend and have them forward it.

It looks as though that tracking actually shows your letter as already having been processed through the Suvarnabhumi facility two days after you posted it.     It's next appearance is in the North Houston distribution centre.   Perhaps you need to ask USPS where it had been prior to that or why is was held there for so long?

On 7/8/2021 at 5:07 AM, internationalism said:

It's not fault of thai post office. They send away within 1-2 days

Thai post tracking for the letter in question says:

13/05/2564 14:31 SUVARNABHUMI MAIL CENTRE Departure From Outward OE

That's the usual path after Laksi mail center on same day at night:

13/05/2564 03:51 LAK SI MAIL CENTER In transit

To what I understand ""Outward OE" means that the letter has passed checkpoint/customs at Suvarnabhumi and ready for departure.

Where do you know from where the letter actually was between 13 May and July 3?

Can't tell whether a mail would go directly from Bangkok to a regional distribution center in Houston.

Looks like the USPS track lacks details.

To Germany it's the same ""gap" of a couple of days.

But there very clear that the backlog at Frankfurt customs/security check takes days both ways.

Edited by KhunBENQ

On 7/8/2021 at 4:53 AM, lowp said:

Clearly it is not. The tracking number is rr264961236th if you want to look it up. See pic for tracking as it stands now.

Thats what Thai post shows.

track.jpg

Like you I just sent a letter to the IRS.  And similar to your tracking the last update was Departure From Outward at Swampy on June 30.  I mailed it June 28.

I hope my letter doesn't take 53 days.  IRS may want to charge me some interest on money I don't owe them.

I was curious about this.  Especially if I wanted to send something to the United States. So I contacted EMS Customer Service. Before retiring three years  ago. I actually worked for a USA shipping service 32 years.  Both as a craft employee and the final 11 years in management.

I did notice on the tracking.  The final scan in Thailand is a processing at facility scan. There is no departure from facility scan. I thought that was odd. This usually means the item is still physically at a facility and hasnt moved on yet.  But Im not sure if a departure scan is actually used on their tracking. I questioned the customer service rep on this.  But unfortunately she seemed to not know what I meant by departure scan. So it could have actually departed for the USA on that date or not.

If it was actually supposed to have a departure scan from the Thailand facility and didnt get one. Something could have happened here to cause the delay. 

I ended the conversation asking her about the 53 days it took.  She said because of covid. 

Sorry Im not much help. I can only speculate. But the USPS scans look in order and timely.  But there is a big empty space from the last processing scan in Thailand. So Im guessing if there was an issue it happened here. 

And when the USPS receives registered mail.  Its kept separate from the regular mail stream. It is bagged with other registered mail. The sack is padlocked. Tracking numbers are entered in a special book.  And the tracking numbers are verified at every processing center and point of delivery. The padlocked bag is sent to the delivery point. Signed for again. Only then the padlock is removed for delivery.

Edited by swm59nj
add more information
  • Thanks 1

2 years ago I posted an "Airmail" EMS Registered.  It took about 2 weeks from Chiang Mai to Kentucky.
Sent another one out on May 6, 2021 and it arrived July 8, 2021.  Covid delay at airport.

That's 2 for 2.  Cudos to Thai Post and USPS.  

While checking again for a letter I am expecting from Germany (11 days no movement there), I see a chapter of Deutsche Post about the investigation process.

For international shipment they won't do anything earlier than 15 days with the exception of the US where you have to wait 42 days(!).

"Registered" mail is usually slow even in the best of times as it has to fulfill "Chain of Custody" procedures at every single transfer point.  If you need a delivery receipt, much better to use "Certified: Return Receipt Requested"

"Certified" mail does not have the same "Chain of Custody" requirements and is usually much faster. 

8 hours ago, dddave said:

"Registered" mail is usually slow even in the best of times as it has to fulfill "Chain of Custody" procedures at every single transfer point.  If you need a delivery receipt, much better to use "Certified: Return Receipt Requested"

"Certified" mail does not have the same "Chain of Custody" requirements and is usually much faster. 

is that service available in thailand and how much? 

how faster in comparison to registered? 

2 hours ago, internationalism said:

is that service available in thailand and how much? 

how faster in comparison to registered? 

I thought it was because I used it previously but I just checked the Thai Post website and it's not listed under services currently.

I have just checked my EMS number of a doc. posted from Ratchaburi to Chiang Mai. 

According to the Thai track and trace sytem , this number relates to a package sent from Bangkok to Koh Samui in May. and it even shows the signature of the recipient......

After double checking the tracking number the wife rung the post office and asked what , why . how . 

She was told that numbers were re-used after a Month .

I have never come across this before.

Edited by NE1

From the U.S. to THL also slow in May.

Simple letter, airmail (Chrysanthemum stamp, $1.20 now) from metro-Boston, mailed May 4, 2021, arrived June 11, 2021 (Bangkok, 10110, Post Office Box). This was a new credit card, re-mailed from family.

Guys, I do not mean to divert from the original topic here, but since it is somewhat related... does anyone know if the "Mailbox" post office stores are still open? Most of them are in the malls. Or is the actual Thailand Post Office e.g. in Prakanong the only available option right now?

To Sambora - due to covid and general shutdown most mall post office branches are closed. Not sure if any website lists the ones that remain open. Had to hike to a distant one to send in the 90 day report last week.

Response & update:

to Pravada - There was no notice of delays posted at the Chamchuri post office at the time of drop off and no mention of it again 30 days later when question.

to Internationalism - As I stated in the original post I sent it on May 11th.... after the May 5th date you mentioned. Also upon what basis do you state the Thai post office sent mail by boat? Tracking names the airport mail center - not a seaport.

to Swm59 - Thanks for your details - Attached is the screenshot of the customer service monitor about a month after sending in my followup visit.

I asked my contact at the US embassy to research & post the current mail delays for the US and/or list the dates of mail departures from Thailand if they have been reduced or restricted. A ~2 month delay might be acceptable if people were at least informed about it. It is about transparency and matching reality of the services agencies provide.

Thai post counter screen 20210617edtd.jpg

On 7/24/2021 at 2:41 PM, gamb00ler said:

Update on my IRS bound letter from Chiang Mai:

Recent experience TO Germany.

Sent on Jul 7, outward at Suvarnabhumi on July 8.

Customs in Germany on July 17.

Then another 5 days until picked up (July 22).

But even better:

registered letter FROM Germany for me.

Registered at post office on July 5.

Passed point for international shipment on July 26!

21 days in the country.

Now waiting for it, maybe this week before a month is over.

Edited by KhunBENQ