Foreigners aged over 60 in Bangkok to be given priority for AstraZeneca vaccine

webfact

5 minutes ago, malthebluff said:

Someone's pockets and I may think, but could be very wrong that it has not made it to where it should have gone, well maybe it did, and I don't have a clue, but I still think it went to deep pockets. If there was transparency and the Thai Government would have showed off the support so the Thai people and others could see then we would no for sure, but they never do.

23 minutes ago, Card said:

My Thai friend phoned and they say only for 75+ who live in BKK. I am only 72 and live in pattaya so seems not worth the effort. If for 70+ I would take a chance.

I don't think your friend will have called the Vaccination Centre itself  as they do not have a number. All my friends who I mention came from Pattaya and said they had come from Pattaya.. If you have an over 75 friend that would make life easier-anyway I reckon it is worth the gamble. Otherwise you are going to have to wait till next year.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, fvw53 said:

If you are "lucky" like me to be older than 75 you can go until 18 July without any pre-registration to Gate 1 of Bang Sue Railway Station and get Astrazeneca / I did it during afternoon hours in less than 30 minutes and they only wanted to see my passport - not asking in which province I lived - and eventually what kind of medication it took / the only problem is to find a parking

Great, but how about the second and most important AZ jab. Will you be able to just turn up for that and will it be available?

2 hours ago, cardinalblue said:

That is a misconception that if I can’t get 2nd vaccine, why bother with first?

the first provides you with up to 80% of whatever that brand is so vital to get first dose - worry about 2nd later

With a shortage, yes you will have to wait longer than you should. Eventually you get it and need to research when is it to get the 2nd for most effectiveness…

If a second dose is delayed (at least with AZ) then you can console yourself with the knowledge that there's a silver lining. Recent research shows that even a single dose gives good immunity for up to a year, and a longer interval to the second dose gives a greater benefit to the immune system.

According to the results of clinical studies done by Oxford University researchers:

An extended interval between the first and second dose of Vaxzevria of up to 45 weeks, resulted in up to an 18 fold increase in antibody response, measured 28 days after the second dose. With a 45 week dosing interval between the first and second dose, antibody titres were four times higher than with a 12 week interval, demonstrating that a longer dosing interval is not detrimental but can derive stronger immunity.

Vaxzevria induced immunity for at least one year following a single dose and strong immune responses following either a late second dose or a third dose

Edited by GroveHillWanderer
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, webfact said:

A shipment of one million doses of the vaccine arrived in Thailand from Japan on Friday (July 10). 

that's a little confusing, Japan giving vaccines away while their +/_ 8% of vaccinated people is a minimal.... where the vaccines expired?

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/olympics/ahead-tokyo-olympics-japan-vaccination-rate-far-mark-n1272523

Japan has fully vaccinated just a little more than 8 percent of its people, according to the World Health Organization.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Cheeze, as if we haven't had enough teachers' pets on here. Surprised you didn't tell us all to go back to our home countries if we aren't happy. Just out of curiosity, I wonder if those clever enough to have had the first jab at the bus station will be able to just turn up and get the second, and most important AZ jab as easily? Making a day's journey to Bangkok only to be turned away because they've run out of vaccine is not an attractive proposition for this 77 year old.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, pattaya1234was said:

It does take a lot of effort to obtain a vaccination but, from my experience and living in Pattaya, it is not that difficult. Yes you have to travel to Bangkok but that is not an impossibility, taxi return plus waiting 2400 baht. The National Vaccination Centre at Bang Sue railway station is the place to make for.  It is primarily for over75's-farangs included, but it appears that one person under 75 can accompany you as their carer and also get vaccinated. It is all very well planned , very clean, uncrowded and fast. The AZ vaccine is being used. I left Pattaya at 8am and was back home by 1.30pm. The whole procedure showed Thai people at their best-well done to them.

On every day this week different groups of friends have followed this procedure with success., and gratitude.

You have a few days left to take advantage-up to you!

Well done pattaya1234, its GREAT to hear something positive out of all these negative comments

• Like 2

i do not understand about the vaccination of over 60s in the capitol BKK. i would have thought i would have the first place to get it done . I cannot speak for other provinces as i don't know .But Samui was doing over 6os and under 60s with AZ from the 27th June to the 31st at about 1500a day . the registration was done at the gov, hospital and the Samui immigration. i registered  about 3 weeks before and got the first AZ on the 27th I do believe to app was only for Samui name is Smart Samui . included is the date for number two on the 19th September  I believe they are starting vaccines again this month for those who missed the June venues   

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ezzra said:

Who do you thing going to get it first? here's a clue, NOT a foreigner, and beside, according to the conditions to get it you need to be a person with serious health issues to qualify, so don't hold your breath folks...

Or maybe do hold your breath , long enough to get that serious health condition .

4 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

That is a very good question, and one that needs some research through the studies that have been done so far.  At one time it was only for over 60's here in Thailand and the Sinovac for under 60's

I did find this from Australia, and its the most recent info

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-06-17/atagi-to-change-astrazeneca-age-rules-covid-vaccine/100222464

I also found that there may be problems traveling to the US if vaccinated with the AZ vaccine as it has not been approved there, but then this article alludes to a different view by the PM of Canada

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/trudeau-astrazeneca-travellers-1.6071320

There is no problem entering US with or without a vaccine, AZ included. If AZ is not the flavor of the month in the US, then don't tell anyone. Your comment makes no sense and is misleading.

What about us poor devils up country? The US sen 1.5 doses free specifying that 20% are for foreigners. I am assuming that Bangkok will get it all. 

In Chiang Rai there is not one dose of vaccine. Maybe it was sold to another country.

33 minutes ago, codemonkey said:

There is no problem entering US with or without a vaccine, AZ included. If AZ is not the flavor of the month in the US, then don't tell anyone. Your comment makes no sense and is misleading.

Did you even bother to read the link. This was in the story:

"Some U.S. venues will keep out those vaccinated with the AstraZeneca shot, for now"

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, crazykopite said:

I live on KP got my AZ yesterday 6 hour wait but worth it no after affects but witnessed a lot of farangs been turned away not having a lease agreement on a property was a big issue however i sailed through it , all i had to show was my yellow housebook and thai pink ID card so all those who say having a pink ID card is a waste of time it might be where they live but not where i live i even get discount on the ferry, dentist and can walk into a car showroom and buy a vehicle without the need of an immigration letter best 250 baht i ever spent . My 2nd vaccine is 1st October at 2pm " Happy Days " I heard through rumour control that its possible every available vaccine was sent to the islands who have sandbox openings as 70% have to have at least one vaccine KP is due to open up this Thursday 15 July if there is any truth in that rumour its very unfair !!!!!!

Unfair? You've had a shot. All I can get is tequila!

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, smedly said:

apart from all the issues mentioned already on this thread - due to the lack of vaccine supply even if you manage to get one shot of AZ how likely do you think it will be that you will get the required 2nd shot, this vaccination is a 2 shot process, there is really no point in getting one shot if you are never going to see the 2nd shot at the recommended interval - these million donated vaccines suddenly becomes half that when you count them as fully vaccinated -  so good luck with that 

In a few weeks thats going to be headline news.

People unable to get there second vaccination and realizing that Sinovac is useless against the Delta variant.

Just now, DogNo1 said:

The US didn't specify who must receive the vaccine that it is donating.  A Thai government official said that 20% of the vaccines would go to foreigners.  That has now been reduced to 10%.  1.5 million doses of the Pfizer Vaccine will be donated and 150,000 doses will be given to foreigners according to a local newspaper.

In the meantime, it is extremely difficult to register for a shot of the Modena Vaccine at 

Bumrungrad.  I was logged on to the website at 8:50 waiting for it to go live at 9:00.  It told me to wait for five minutes.  Ten minutes later, it told me to wait for two minutes. About 12 minutes later, the page refreshed and I received a 404 error.  I called the hospital several times to complain and was told that they would try to help me get a shot whatever that means.  Later this afternoon, a nurse said that if I waited for the page to refresh after receiving the 404, I would then receive a page on which to enter my data.   This registration apparently is not to get appointment for a shot but just to indicate my interest.  If I fail tomorrow,  I may go to Bang Sue Station to walk in and get the AstraZeneca since I'm over 75.

I don't understand why this discrimination regarding the vaccine is not being reported in the international media.

It's been fairly well publicized in the U.S. Well, not so much with an emphasis on the discrimination which I agree is both horrible and really happening, but on efforts to get the U.S. government to assist it's expats here directly because of "access problems" getting doses.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

I wonder if it will go to Thai's first, even though they say foreigners as well ?

Definitely loss of face for this administration, Anutin needs to go, straight after the PM !

Before. Long, long, before!

• Like 1

The only positive thing about the Phuket Sandbox experiment? Phuket residents including farangs have gone to the front of the line. 

We're the beneficiary of an insane plan to open tourism during a pandemic that benefits virtually no one. 

Thank you Thailand Tourist Authority. 

By the way, it's been raining for the last three days as it does in Phuket this time of year. That's why no one comes here this time of year. 

Let's hear it for TAT.  

7 minutes ago, Pinot said:

The only positive thing about the Phuket Sandbox experiment? Phuket residents including farangs have gone to the front of the line. 

We're the beneficiary of an insane plan to open tourism during a pandemic that benefits virtually no one. 

Thank you Thailand Tourist Authority. 

By the way, it's been raining for the last three days as it does in Phuket this time of year. That's why no one comes here this time of year. 

Let's hear it for TAT.  

Phuket's gain in vaccinations has been Pattaya's loss. Does the central government not like us, ha ha?

14 hours ago, bkk_bwana said:

It sounds like you are expecting a local nurse, in a public vaccination setup to speak a foreign language. The advice was to register at one of two hospitals in Bangkok or contact the local health authority, not just show up at Central Westgate Mall. If you don't know where your local health centre is, then that's your responsibility. You seem to be acting in a rather entitled way, living in a foreign country.

Thank God for the Entitled Way Police. I was just reaching for the entitled way hotline when as luck would have it, you happened along.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

This is a country where greed strangles compassion.  I used to really love Thailand despite its faults.  The stark reality of the anti-foreigner hostility has sobered me up and the bloom is off the romance.

• Thanks 1

They say things come in 3's.

Got confirmed at Phyathai and had 1st AZ shot in June. Now have been confirmed (by email and telephone call) for family/me (booster) at BPH for Moderna in Oct /Nov (or thereabouts).

Then today get message from Chulaphorn Hospital/Academy, that I was approved for donation vaccination and to report at 9am on the 15th July for my 1st shot of Sinopharm.  Obviously had to decline (as in AZ processs) but with perserverance (and luck I guess) all is possible.

(I had filled in an online form for Chulaphorn back in May, and had forgotten about it).

1 hour ago, DogNo1 said:

The US didn't specify who must receive the vaccine that it is donating.  A Thai government official said that 20% of the vaccines would go to foreigners.  That has now been reduced to 10%.  1.5 million doses of the Pfizer Vaccine will be donated and 150,000 doses will be given to foreigners according to a local newspaper.

In the meantime, it is extremely difficult to register for a shot of the Modena Vaccine at 

Bumrungrad.  I was logged on to the website at 8:50 waiting for it to go live at 9:00.  It told me to wait for five minutes.  Ten minutes later, it told me to wait for two minutes. About 12 minutes later, the page refreshed and I received a 404 error.  I called the hospital several times to complain and was told that they would try to help me get a shot whatever that means.  Later this afternoon, a nurse said that if I waited for the page to refresh after receiving the 404, I would then receive a page on which to enter my data.   This registration apparently is not to get appointment for a shot but just to indicate my interest.  If I fail tomorrow,  I may go to Bang Sue Station to walk in and get the AstraZeneca since I'm over 75.

I don't understand why this discrimination regarding the vaccine is not being reported in the international media.

Could you give us a link? I read the Japanese donation of 1.05 million doses of AZ= 10% for foreigners. The US donation of 1.5 million Pfizer doses=20% for foreigners. Has this now changed? Or is it 150,000 foreigners x 2 vaccines each=300,000?

Edited by rbkk

Sorry.  Forum rules prohibit me from posting a link to the news paper.  The 10% in the article referred to the 1.5 million Pfizer doses donated by the US.   150,000 doses will be given to foreigners.  The AZ doses donated by Japan were not mentioned.  At this point, the sources of AZ doses used to vaccinate foreigners are not clear.

10 minutes ago, DogNo1 said:

Sorry.  Forum rules prohibit me from posting a link to the news paper.  The 10% in the article referred to the 1.5 million Pfizer doses donated by the US.   150,000 doses will be given to foreigners.  The AZ doses donated by Japan were not mentioned.  At this point, the sources of AZ doses used to vaccinate foreigners are not clear.

Any clues then? Is it the English press in Thailand or a translation from a Thai Newpaper or the internet.....

42 minutes ago, DogNo1 said:

This is a country where greed strangles compassion.  I used to really love Thailand despite its faults.  The stark reality of the anti-foreigner hostility has sobered me up and the bloom is off the romance.

Stark is right. Yes it's more difficult now to turn a blind eye to the sublime passive-aggressive xenophobia. And this germ has revealed stark realities in lots of places, including back 'home.' I wonder if I'll even recognise the place...

• Like 1