Plywood Grades and Types in TH

Morakot

Grades

I'm trying to understand the local grading system for plywood, but not really sure what's going on.

I see grades like "AAA" and "A" with the former more expensive than the latter. What are the front and back face grades?

I'm looking for sheets for making furniture.

Types

I saw one regular supplier selling plywood made from rubber wood for the face with a mixed wood core. What's this like to work with?

Others suppliers I saw, sell sheets with a more reddish face, but I not sure what type this is and whether this for indoor. I couldn't find anything about formaldehyde-emitting like E0/E1 Classes though.

You can answers by google.

Global house where I go for wood they have a great selection. 

I think plywood furniture is made up from different thicknesses to build to a shape that's required. 

Onetimewoodworker on TVF know s a lot about wood stuff maybe he will post soon. 

Most our furniture was made from old teak. 

Other furniture is either pine or eucalyptus.

See bamboo used and covered chipboard.

• Like 1

Thanks!

So this an example how plywood is graded in Europe and North America. What happens in Thailand?

I'm looking for plywood  for a project that is like A/B for example.

Screenshot_2021-07-11_14-24-45.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kwasaki said:

Most our furniture was made from old teak. 

That's nice! ????

For this project I'm looking for a mid-century minimalism design. See here for example how plywood can be used for high quality builds. ????

7-1-900x900.jpg

• Like 1

I had a small recent project and finally got fed up with looking for a place to buy wood and lucky came across some very nice pieces of driftwood that did the trick for me. It took a lot more work but there are nice pieces at the beaches right now. 

• Like 1

Thank very much @sometimewoodworker That's very helpful!

What wood are these reddish sheets?

33 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

rubberwood plywood isn’t so common but it’s an easy wood to work with (if you found it online I would like the URL)

This is shop in Bangkok: https://www.plywoodthai.com/13698978/20-มม-aaa If I understand this correctly this means rubberwood face with a mix core: 20mm = B1,060 (plus high transport costs, B600-1,000)

Interestingly I also found this place that sells  Baltic Birch Plywood (but only B/BB grade): http://birchwoodth.com/products/ I'll ask for their price list, but I'm sure it won't be cheap!

Edited by Morakot

2 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

for the birch plywood, the sheet size is unusual 

These are imperial/ US dimensions, I think. Why "Baltic" plywood sold in Thailand is made like this is a puzzle.

8 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

For more about plywood than you will want Shannon Rodgers has about 5 podcasts just on it

Shannon’s site you will learn that there are no bargains, that in general you must pay for quality, if it’s low price then it’s low quality. 

Thanks for the link. Yes, I totally agree.