Laptop Nicking Gang, Maenam

Passwords don't do anything really. They can just reformat the harddrive and it is good as new. Again, this wouldn't do anything to stop them from getting inside in the first place. That's the key. Lights, good locks on doors and windows, a dog will drastically reduce the chances of your house being hit. I'm not saying it wont happen but they would much rather pick a dark easy to get into house.

You are right, Paul. And it was my own fault as I did everything opposite to what you suggest! Didn’t leave lights on, and although the windows and doors were locked, this did nothing. They just popped the lock on the door and were in. It was a dark, rainy night so nobody was around. Afterwards, the owner of the bungalow fitted those iron grids to all the bungalows, which of course will help in future. My bungalow now looks like Blackpool illuminations when I go out - not very eco friendly as one of neighbors pointed out regularly. It did become a bit of an issue! But once bitten.............

Does anyone have any thoughts on whether doors should be padlocked from the outside when you go out or not? I can't decide. It’s more secure and difficult to get into, but it screams "there's nobody home!"

It was password protected, but as Paul said, this is next to useless as it won't stop someone who knows what they are doing.

I also asked a Thai friend of mine to 'put the word out' that I would pay a reward for any info and recovery, but she didn't hold out much hope as she was adamant it was farang, not Thai, but then she would say that, as all my Thai friends did.

Maybe I could get a recording of my dog growling on loop and leave it playing inside, seeing as he won't stay put when I'm out. Sounds daft, but it might work.

Kate

you could set up a password to get into your laptop. to make it usless for the criminal becuase they would be [un]able to use it.

Explain how you think this would stop a thief. Are you saying that a person would take the time to try to log on to the unit before stealing it? :o

Maybe I could get a recording of my dog growling on loop and leave it playing inside, seeing as he won't stay put when I'm out. Sounds daft, but it might work.

Kate

Reminds me. Did a job in London where the customer had a dog locked in the house barking. Took a while to realise that it was a recording on an audio sensor and barked everytime I made a noise

Kate

Reminds me. Did a job in London where the customer had a dog locked in the house barking. Took a while to realise that it was a recording on an audio sensor and barked everytime I made a noise

Maybe it's not so daft after all then. I'll look into it.