Make 2nd key for Triumph

EVENKEEL

1 minute ago, EVENKEEL said:

Anybody??

My mongrel s/h CB400 came with 1 worn key, took it to a key cutter who had blank m/c keys and got 2 new ones cut buy him no bother.

Got 2 new keys with my Versys and 1 blank one.

Got 2 keys with CRF.

My Blade I replaced the full fuel cap assembly and with it came a rear seat key lock, a ignition switch as well and 2 keys.

Good as I had 3 different keys before. 

Dumb key or smart key.

Smart key

My experience based on other models with actual key and where the bike detects the key in the lock. 

Have a look in the manual, There should be a section on how to program another key using the original. 

If Yes you need to buy another blank as you suggest but can get cut anywhere.

If No or there is no actual serrated key (remote) you'll probably have to go to the dealer?

Dumb key

Take key to any decent key cutter and get a replica. 

If they don't have the correct blank they can order.

Edited by VocalNeal
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, VocalNeal said:

Dumb key or smart key.

Smart key

My experience based on other models with actual key and where the bike detects the key in the lock. 

Have a look in the manual, There should be a section on how to program another key using the original. 

If Yes you need to buy another blank as you suggest but can get cut anywhere.

If No or there is no actual serrated key (remote) you'll probably have to go to the dealer?

Dumb key

Take key to any decent key cutter and get a replica. 

If they don't have the correct blank they can order.

with the blank keys can they do the plastic part of the key that uncovers the keyhole on the Honda Click?

Assuming it's a newer bike, the keys have a transponder and the motorbike has to be programmed to recognize the key, for which you need the right tools. Just contact your local Triumph dealer, they can get you another key, probably not exactly cheap though. Let us know how much it costs, in case I ever lose a key I know what to expect.

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

with the blank keys can they do the plastic part of the key that uncovers the keyhole on the Honda Click?

For Honda keys YES for sure. I recently bought 3. There are metal heads and plastic heads.

Same, same for Yamaha.

Edited by VocalNeal
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

The plastic part is always the same shape (at least for bikes from the same manufacturer) or not?

Edited by jackdd

4 hours ago, jackdd said:

Assuming it's a newer bike, the keys have a transponder and the motorbike has to be programmed to recognize the key, for which you need the right tools. Just contact your local Triumph dealer, they can get you another key, probably not exactly cheap though. Let us know how much it costs, in case I ever lose a key I know what to expect.

I just messaged them (Triumph Pattaya), looks like B2,000 for a blank key.

Edited by EVENKEEL