Hard-Wired USBs & Ground Wire

Yellowtail

I'm reconfiguring the electric in my boy's room and want to install some USB receptacles. The issue I have is with stringing the receptacles together. Line and neutral each have two "clip" holes for wire, but I need to run the wire in, run to the USB and run the wire out to the next box. How best to get two wire in one hole? The USB has nice sized screw-lugs so I might be able to get two in.

1218149567_Concept02.jpg.88e93f5d6d7be2bbd65205053b225ccb.jpg653084915_Concept01.jpg.2e1cc11c5429f43634b1bf650c562776.jpg

Also, right now there are no grounded receptacles on his floor, but the air-conditioner has a good ground. If I want to install a few grounded plugs, is there any reason I should not be be able to take a ground from the box feeding the air-con?  

You should be able to get your 2.5 plus a short bit of 1.5 or even 1.0 to the USB in one side of the outlet clamps without too much difficulty.

Nothing to stop you pinching the ground from the aircons for an outlet or two.

33 minutes ago, Crossy said:

You should be able to get your 2.5 plus a short bit of 1.5 or even 1.0 to the USB in one side of the outlet clamps without too much difficulty.

Nothing to stop you pinching the ground from the aircons for an outlet or two.

Great, thanks! 

Would would wire from an old fluorescent light can likely be 1mm? 

8 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Great, thanks! 

Would would wire from an old fluorescent light can likely be 1mm? 

In reality, so long is it's gripped properly by the clamp (wrap it round the 2.5 if it's not gripping) it matters not, the current demand of the USB charger is minimal. Your wire will be just fine.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Crossy said:

In reality, so long is it's gripped properly by the clamp (wrap it round the 2.5 if it's not gripping) it matters not, the current demand of the USB charger is minimal. Your wire will be just fine.

Thanks again.

1 minute ago, bankruatsteve said:

I would go with 2.5 jumper to the USB just to assure a good clamp. 

There is no getting 2 X 2.5 in a single hole. In fact, it seems the hole is pretty strictly limited to 1 X 2.5 or 2 X 1.5. 

2 hours ago, Crossy said:

Is there room in the box for a couple of Wagos or wire nuts so you can run pigtails to the outlet and USB?

The box is pretty tight, and I can't make it work with solid core. I checked the Schneider catalog and they have a screw version of the receptacle I'm going to look for. Barring that I think I could make this one the last in line by going to the end and doubling back. I'm using trunking so there is plenty of room. 

16 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

I'm reconfiguring the electric in my boy's room ...

... If I want to install a few grounded plugs...

I think in any room, and especially in your boy's room, it's a good idea to have all grounded receptacles.