Socket question

stubuzz

Construction quality probably, black is a special colour so more expensive maybe.

The best way is to grab one of each and feel the quality.

For most applications the 99 Baht Haco ones would be fine, but I'd be going for better ones for those high-current devices in the kitchen or your workshop.

23 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Construction quality probably, black is a special colour so more expensive maybe.

Thanks. So the 3P+E and 2P have no meaning? I see that all are 3 pin plugs with connections for 3 wires on the back.

Just now, stubuzz said:

Thanks. So the 3P+E and 2P have no meaning? I see that all are 3 pin plugs with connections for 3 wires on the back.

Yeah, not sure what they mean by "2P" could just be a typo assuming there are connections behind all those pins..

They don't look like "Universal" sockets either.

( becoming a bit of an endangered species in "hardware" shops )

the ones in the photo below accept a UK plug  which fits very nicely.

619118774_HACOM4N-U20.thumb.jpg.d84ef4d509ceda10a450472eeb09e302.jpg

Edited by johng

From what I have seen the color just commands a premium. Compare the price of the cover plates...

If I had to guess, unless they're very high volume they are making color on the same lines and limiting production days. 

6 hours ago, Crossy said:

Yeah, not sure what they mean by "2P" could just be a typo assuming there are connections behind all those pins..

could it mean no earth?

I've been in older French houses where they've just taken sockets from 'lighting circuits' so had no earth!

I know a lot of appliances don't need an earth nowadays but I'd defo be earthing all my sockets now!

Disclaimer: not a sparky despite rewiring my house lol

Edited by driver52

13 hours ago, Crossy said:

It just means the webmaster is randomly cutting and pasting specs without knowing cr@p all about the product.

My tuppence, always go with the Panasonics (they come in shuttered versions if you have kids that like to stick forks on holes), or Schneider range as an alternative if you want the universal receptacles (Watsadu have them).

Avoid the Chang clones, they're garbage.

Not impressed with Haco.

Be aware, the universal receptacles often have significantly lower current rating. Be careful using them in the kitchen.

Edited by Led Lolly Yellow Lolly
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Led Lolly Yellow Lolly said:

Be aware, the universal receptacles often have significantly lower current rating. Be careful using them in the kitchen.

Yeah, tiny contact areas, the contacts themselves are a miracle of origami.

The cheaper ones are often pretty much toast once they've had a UK plug in them. We have a couple of UK trailies (from Malaysia) with Thai plugs on the end for our UK visitors.

There's some nice sockets in Global House (I think they're nice). They feel expensive, have 2 sockets with small on/off switches in the one profile. 

I put them in the fish pumps system so if one pump fails wifey just has to flick a couple of switches.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, digbeth said:

FYI, universal type are no longer permitted, only sales of old stock are allowed, so if you see universal, UK-type or Shuiko type in hardware stores, stock up 

Interesting, not that I like the beasts, do you have a reference?

37 minutes ago, Crossy said:

They are great for conference room tables when you have a lot of international visitors. We put a row right down the middle of the table ....

In my view National/Panasonic are the best quality outlets for home use as heavy, very well made and positive contact for all types of plugs.  Not all others are even usable for two pin round pins on insulators without pulling partly out (very iffy for any amount of current). 

Although I like Haco for being slim surface mount they are a PIA to wire (and many local electricians can't).

Edited by lopburi3

On 7/13/2021 at 1:59 PM, stubuzz said:

Some are screw fixing for the connections and some are "push in", you need the right mounting plate as they are not interchangeable.

5 hours ago, digbeth said:

FYI, universal type are no longer permitted, only sales of old stock are allowed, so if you see universal, UK-type or Shuiko type in hardware stores, stock up 

That fits in with what I see in the shops  

the "proper" universal sockets/extension leads  suddenly disappeared ????

though I did come across some on my last visit to Hardware House..

New Old Stock  they found from somewhere, so old the plastic outer shell is yellowing

they had at least 50  tucked away on an out of the way shelf

the store employee said they where going to be put 

out in a prominent front of shop place  (to get rid of them quick I suppose )  

I bought 2    410 + VAT baht each.

P_20210716_095450.thumb.jpg.a59a88666a78626335ed7300b6619c0c.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sandyf said:

Some are screw fixing for the connections and some are "push in", you need the right mounting plate as they are not interchangeable.

I can't speak to other brands, but the Schneider "Concept" push-in and screw-in fir the same plates. That said, they have several different product lines that are NOT compatible

5 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

I can't speak to other brands, but the Schneider "Concept" push-in and screw-in fir the same plates. That said, they have several different product lines that are NOT compatible

Your probably right, I should have been a bit clearer that I meant between manufacturers. The sockets/switches look similar size but slight difference. 

14 hours ago, Crossy said:

Since November 2019 I think, they out law sales of two prong (unearthed) receptacle as well as 'universal' or other international type wall receptacles, the use in extension leads/sockets has been outlawed earlier 

only sales of old stock is allowed, no new import or manufacture, and retailer had to declare their existing stock, hence why some new old stock has resurfaced after it was found sitting in warehouses somewhere.

international adaptor, industrial plugs like 3 phase and 'computer peripherals' like extension sockets for rack mount are excempt, but they are not certified, so it's illegal to get new Uk or Shuiko plug in your wall now, but leaving maybe unearthed adaptor plugged in is fine

relevant TIS standard number is 166-2549 for plugs and receptacle standard (ratified 2006) only just enforced, and 2432-2555 for extension leads (ratified 2012)

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, tgw said:

if you use EU / German plugs, you will want that type of adapter:

electricity-type-E-F-plug-with-type-O-plug-adapter-scaled-1-300x256.jpg.db84055308ed3bf211b942f628cfe21a.jpg

The downside is will only have space for one plug in standard size outlet.  Find it better to replace with US type plug (as have yet to find a Thai 3 pin plug for sale - and not really a fan as ground position is not as obvious as it should be).

14 hours ago, tgw said:

if you use EU / German plugs, you will want that type of adapter:

Those adaptors are also quite hard to find Homepro used to sell them..

I saw some online at Lazada too.

1102121369_ADAPTERWA-GF(R5B)WONPRO.jpg.0547c81885bf6dd44cf786ea7caf24fd.jpgIMG_20150402_113422.thumb.jpg.d5a054dd921a2cc1690ff06408eadc72.jpg

6 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

(as have yet to find a Thai 3 pin plug for sale

The Haco P002 ones are quite good.

2030358191_P_20190605_124404(Large).thumb.jpg.bb4207d9243791efcaeb27cf3840846e.jpg

These work but are ugly and not very high quality.

1718789296_3pinplug.thumb.jpg.b12cd56c2a5a72ca24fddb67f48c3d71.jpg

On 7/13/2021 at 1:59 PM, stubuzz said:

There are some sockets around that will accommodate a three pin plug, but the earth inside of the socket is not connected to anything, it's merely a hole in the plastic to allow the use of various three pin plugs.

As for price differentials in quality, well the cheaper ones have inferior metal contacts inside and lose tension after a short while, thereby creating heat and the occasional burnout.

I have taken apart many of these socket outlets, plus the power boards which are commonplace here, and very often the quality on the inside is absolute garbage.

5 minutes ago, xylophone said:

As for price differentials in quality, well the cheaper ones have inferior metal contacts inside and lose tension after a short while, thereby creating heat and the occasional burnout.

By burnout you mean open flame as plastic ignites?  A real danger from many that used to be sold here - have had happen. 

9 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

By burnout you mean open flame as plastic ignites?  A real danger from many that used to be sold here - have had happen. 

Yes, or just melted plastic all over the place. On investigation the contacts inside seem to be made of a cheap "steel-type" material, and have also seen them rusty!!!!!