how to block nuisance SMS from trueid, truemove h. etc

gamb00ler

33 minutes ago, rwill said:

Have you tried asking True to stop sending them?

yes at the shop and on their customer service hotline... resulted in blank stare/silence

Edited by gamb00ler
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I get almost daily SMS's from AIS. I found from this site how to stop them - I think it was by calling 1175 - but they began again within a week or so. So I sent to AIS in Kalasin and she called 137 (I think it was) and said they'd stop. And they did, for a week before starting up again. So now I give up.

I think this method should be applicable to other senders as well as True.  Give it one more shot????

Edited by gamb00ler

Using Signal for Android (Samsung S7).

Long press on offending call. When released the second screen opens. Press "Block" and confirm. Done.

When I got my True SIM I was immediately barraged with about ten variations on True 'offers'.

I blocked all of them except the billing reminder. I've never seen them again.

Screenshot_20210718-180354_Signal.jpg

Screenshot_20210718-180404_Signal.jpg

• Like 1

On my android phone I've been blocking the numbers, i also called True a couple days ago as my credit had dropped, somehow the spam texts were being charged, True has refunded the amount, takes 48 hours to be effective so I'll call back again in a couple days as I've since received a few.

So......check your balance, you've probably been charged

17 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

On my android phone I've been blocking the numbers, i also called True a couple days ago as my credit had dropped, somehow the spam texts were being charged, True has refunded the amount, takes 48 hours to be effective so I'll call back again in a couple days as I've since received a few.

So......check your balance, you've probably been charged

A couple of years back we got a phone for our 12 year old son and signed up with True and made sure to instruct him not to buy stuff or charge it via his phone, after the very 1st month his bill was unexpectedly high.  Turned out we were being charged every time someone sent him those spam SMS text.  Thai wife got it sorted out, but that is a money making racket going on there, send spam SMS texts and they have to pay. 

*137 CALL then press 2 or follow prompt

is the universal IVR (works for AIS, DTAC, Truemove H) here to block spam. Some report success using this. It might work for spam initiated directly by the service provider. If you've accidently subscribed to a service, or the dozens who have your number (banks, immigration, hospitals et al.) are marketing directly or have sold your number, then *137 will not be effective.

https://help.truecorp.co.th/truevisions/54/2543?ln=en

Android has a new feature in Messages, that allows one to block and report and bin Spam SMS before opening. iPhone may have something similar.

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/15/2021 at 2:42 PM, gamb00ler said:

I just did this for 2 true entities that send me spam SMS.  I'm not yet sure it has worked.

However, there are now 2 entries in my blocked list versus none before.

True use a lot of numbers to send spam.  For several weeks  I blocked each number.  Just when I thought I won the spam started up again.  Now I'm back to deleting at least 3 messages from True each day.  In Thai so no use to me.

• 6 months later...

This has been an annoying problem for me.  I looked for an alternative answer after blocking scores of numbers to no avail.  I have installed VeroSMS and have had no True spam for several months.  DL it from the App Store (not sure if an android version exists) and put True into the blocklist.  I have more words in the blocklist like AIA and Health Insurance.  No more spam from these either. I only use the free version, the full version costs $4.49.

UPDATE:

One day I had tried to send an SMS direct from my True serviced Thai number to a US number to see what would happen.... I wasn't surprised that no message was received by my US friend.  I called the True service line and asked about being able to send international SMS.  While speaking to the service rep I also asked if it would be possible to turn off all the useless Thai language only marketing SMS's I was receiving.  The rep said he would stop them but that it would take a few days.  The SMS soon stopped.  A week or so later I was very pleasantly surprised to receive a phone call from True to follow up and confirm that those SMS had indeed stopped.

It's not a big deal to just ignore/delete them, but why not seek the best solution?

Edited by gamb00ler

3 hours ago, gamb00ler said:

One day I had tried to send an SMS direct from my True serviced Thai number to a US number to see what would happen.... I wasn't surprised that no message was received by my US friend. 

I'm surprised. Unless your account is somehow restricted you should be able to send an international SMS.

3 hours ago, gamb00ler said:

but why not seek the best solution?

same-same as *137

The best solution just block the number from whence the annoying SMSes are delivered from. Easy too.

And the provider's app likely offers the option to decline notifications. 

This doesn't help with 3rd party Spam SMS.

DTAC Notification Settings:

Screenshot (Mar 6, 2022 18_39_35).png