Question about Denmark tourist visa

I would like to visit the Old Country. After covid restrictions ease I with US passport and daughter and Thai G/F I would like to visit Denmark. Is it difficult for Thais to get a tourist visa?

My wife applied for, and was issued, two without an problem.

Providing they meet the criteria, finances, insurance, travel and accommodation  details, and can satisfy the decision maker of their reasons to return home, there’s every reason they’ll be issued with a visa.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, theoldgit said:

and can satisfy the decision maker of their reasons to return home

Agree............That is what I have found to be the deal breaker (for UK, Dutch and Germany authorities at least)......what is there to make her want to come back home?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Surelynot said:

Agree............That is what I have found to be the deal breaker (for UK, Dutch and Germany authorities at least)......what is there to make her want to come back home?

I thought perhaps the Danes would approach the visa with more common sense than the US where it's tricky. It will be a fun trip once all this is behind us.

• Like 1

Here is  a link to "New to Denmark" a goverment site, where you can see the conditions for a tourist visa to Denmark:

https://www.nyidanmark.dk/en-GB/Applying/Short stay visa/Private and turist visa

Not even all Danes living in Thailand are successful in getting a visa for their wife or girlfriend. 

This line from the conditions: 

"If the Immigration Service suspects that you intend to seek permanent or long-term residency in Denmark, or that you may pose threat to national security or public safety, your visa application will be refused."

Make it critical that the one applying can convince that she/he will return to Thailand after the visit.

Here is a link to where and how to apply for a visa to Denmark:

https://um.dk/en/travel-and-residence/

On 7/16/2021 at 6:19 AM, EVENKEEL said:

Is it difficult for Thais to get a tourist visa?

I got tourist visa for Denmark issued for my Thai GF, or rather she got as applicant, it's a Schengen Visa.

The following is based on my experience with the Danish Embassy In Bangkok...

When applying for tourist visa - which is the only visa available for GF when you as Danish citizen are not resident in your home country - the applicant needs to show some level of funds, a full agenda for all days during the planned stay, and arrangements for accommodation. The latter being either pre-booked hotel(s), or if private accommodation invitation letter; the person inviting shall expect further domestic scrutiny, which might take time.

Showing dependence to Thailand might also be valuable, just like when visiting a Danish boyfriend, for example being employed in Thailand, so the visa applicant will return to the home country.

Furthermore an invitation letter from you stating the purpose of the travel and that you for example is paying (you GF still need proof of some fund of her own). When you are not resident in Denmark, it very likely that you GF will also return home.

If/when visa is granted a return ticket and insurance shall be shown, as well as pre-payment of all hotel bookings.

In my case it was easy, but my GF had previously been visiting me, when I still was resident in Denmark, and had never overstayed her visa.

If you wish to visit other European countries, the visa is valid for the whole Schengen area, but not countries outside Schengen, for example a visit to Britain. You shall in that case apply for a multiple entry tourist visa, and also apply in Thailand (Bangkok) for visa to other countries outside Schengen that you might wish to visit, for example Britain.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, khunPer said:

I got tourist visa for Denmark issued for my Thai GF, or rather she got as applicant, it's a Schengen Visa.

The following is based on my experience with the Danish Embassy In Bangkok...

When applying for tourist visa - which is the only visa available for GF when you as Danish citizen are not resident in your home country - the applicant needs to show some level of funds, a full agenda for all days during the planned stay, and arrangements for accommodation. The latter being either pre-booked hotel(s), or if private accommodation invitation letter; the person inviting shall expect further domestic scrutiny, which might take time.

Showing dependence to Thailand might also be valuable, just like when visiting a Danish boyfriend, for example being employed in Thailand, so the visa applicant will return to the home country.

Furthermore an invitation letter from you stating the purpose of the travel and that you for example is paying (you GF still need proof of some fund of her own). When you are not resident in Denmark, it very likely that you GF will also return home.

If/when visa is granted a return ticket and insurance shall be shown, as well as pre-payment of all hotel bookings.

In my case it was easy, but my GF had previously been visiting me, when I still was resident in Denmark, and had never overstayed her visa.

If you wish to visit other European countries, the visa is valid for the whole Schengen area, but not countries outside Schengen, for example a visit to Britain. You shall in that case apply for a multiple entry tourist visa, and also apply in Thailand (Bangkok) for visa to other countries outside Schengen that you might wish to visit, for example Britain.

So a Danish tourist visa for US citizen with Thai g/f and our 10yr old Daughter who has both US and Thai passport shouldn't be a big problem if we show chanotes for houses in Thailand and only connection to Denmark is for me to visit the Old Country. I'd like to make the trip when all this is behind us.

46 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

So a Danish tourist visa for US citizen with Thai g/f and our 10yr old Daughter who has both US and Thai passport shouldn't be a big problem if we show chanotes for houses in Thailand and only connection to Denmark is for me to visit the Old Country. I'd like to make the trip when all this is behind us.

As hard as it sometimes is to dance with Thai immigration, in my experience their Danish counterpart is way worse. Don't count on common sense and even if you were a Danish citizen it still might not be a piece of cake to get a visa for your girlfriend.

Good luck, and please let us know how it goes.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

You and your 10 year old daughter with US-passports (don't mention the Thai passport) can enter, the mom needs a visa. I don't know if land titles deeds are considered dependence to Thailand, have you checked with the homepage of the Danish Embassy of Bangkok, as your GF is going to apply for tourists visa in Bangkok. The embassy is normally very helpful to answer questions...????

• Thanks 1

On 7/16/2021 at 12:59 PM, Surelynot said:

I would say kids, a job, home, car, pets.

Tourist visas to any Western country for any Thai female are hard.

We don't need to scratch the surface very hard to understand why immigration are suspicious of Thai women applying for tourist visas.

Now if your wife was a US permanent resident, I guarantee you a visa to any EU country would be a cake walk.

Immigration loves to see a Thai woman with settled status in another Western country, so mitigating the fear that they will disappear into the Thai diaspora of that country

Edited by GinBoy2