Warning regarding visa extension for non immigrant O visa / marriage / income method in Chaeng Watthana Bangkok

Call me stupid, but I came to the conviction that I, as a Swiss national, can use the income method for the yearly extension of my non immigrant O visa based on marriage to a Thai national in Chaeng Watthana Bangkok. I had the statement ready for 12 monthly transfers of at least 40k THB from an international source from Bangkok Bank but no affidavit of my embassy.

The answer from the immigration: They strictly and only allow the income method without embassy affidavit for Canadian, UK and US citizens. Everyone else still needs to bring it. They were nice and offered me a 60 day Covid extension and recommended me to come back as soon as I have the 400k on my account, which I achieved a few days later.

Well lesson learned. Due to epidemic situation I took this as a hint of destiny to go for a vaccination in my home country, so I'm out this Sunday.

At least this is now clearly answered in this forum and I was the Guinea Pig to try it. ????

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

So I assume you don't have a regular income (pension or the like) to be testified by the Swiss consulate?

In this case indeed 400k method needed.

Edited by KhunBENQ

The immigration order allowing for the transfers states it is proof of 12 months of transfers into a Thai bank from abroad or from your embassy. You will also need proof of the source of your transfers.

Evidently Chaeng Wattana immigration does not agree with it.

This is the order. Amendment to police order 138/2557 

1 hour ago, frimu said:

They strictly and only allow the income method without embassy affidavit for Canadian, UK and US citizens

A slight correction: the requirement for an embassy income letter is required for all nationals except those from Australia, UK and US.

1 hour ago, BritTim said:

A slight correction: the requirement for an embassy income letter is required for all nationals except those from Australia, UK and US.

The team head at Chaeng Watthana did not mention Australia. But I'm sure, that she mentioned Canada. I guess, she might just have forgotten to mention Australia?

21 minutes ago, frimu said:

But I'm sure, that she mentioned Canada.

Canada will still do a statutory declaration for proof of income.

The rules do not mention the countries that do not issue them.

As far as I know only the embassies of the USA, UK and Australia do not issue them. There may be others that don't do them.

Maybe you should get something from the Swiss embassy stating they will not issue you one.

20 hours ago, BritTim said:

Australia is there because they will NOT issue a letter, I previously used the affidavit method not possible now. 

I saw the hand writing on the wall in 2019 and open a fix account in Jan,  in my name only and transferred 800,000.00 TB into the account.  BBK bank told me that each year they just roll it offer for another year works for me.  No problems with IO ever since an it save me from going down town  to the US Embassy and paying them $50.00 for peace of paper, now I pay just 100 tb at my local BBK bank.  I have a account with them since 1986 when I planed to retire here in 1991.

Cant complain about Chiang Mai immi..Got my first "O" Extension last year after what 20 plus years of  Embassy visits in London and next one due in August..so dont hopefully expect any problems..Procedure last time was very easy.. welcome...polite and understanding...especially when Khun wife told them she didnt know how much money I had...figures..All laughing their heads off...I didnt mind...humour is best defence..if...etc..so...last Chang before bed...chai..

On 7/16/2021 at 5:22 PM, ubonjoe said:

Canada will still do a statutory declaration for proof of income.

The rules do not mention the countries that do not issue them.

As far as I know only the embassies of the USA, UK and Australia do not issue them. There may be others that don't do them.

Maybe you should get something from the Swiss embassy stating they will not issue you one.

Yes. I got a statutory declaration of income from Canadian Embassy BKK in January with copies of my Canadian bank statements as well as original Canadian tax documents for Canada Pension Plan, Old Age Security and B.C. Public Pension Plan amounts totaling significantly more than the required 400,000 baht for marriage based extension. I have used this method for the last 10 years with no problem. Most renewals were done in Hua Hin, but the last 2 were done in Pathumthain Immigration.  Seems a new boss in place heading up Pathumtani Immigration since last renewal, that proceeded normally with the letter from Cdn. Embassy... not this time!! Immigration said that the letter needs to state that the funds came from Pension sources, and refused to accept the application. I went back to Cdn Embassy and asked if they would add that they had supporting documentation that the funds were indeed derived from pension payments.  The Embassy said no, that the letter is an internal form letter and could not be changed.  Also said that they will be phasing out providing this service in the next 2 years. The very helpful assistant at Canadian Embassy said she had never heard of the declaration letter being refused, and offered her personal business card and direct phone number to me.  She said to go back to Immigration and while there, to call her and she would explain the documentation I provided for proof of the declaration to the Immigration Officer.  So back to Immigration and explained this to the officer who refused to let us call, and also asked to speak with big boss man who also refused. Got a covid extension twice and renewed at a different Immigration office. They don't want us here. So plans to sell up everything here and move back to Victoria are underway. This covid mess will never be reasonably resolved here by inept Thai authorities, in Victoria they repealed mask laws a few weeks ago and a high percentage of population is fully vaccinated... only makes sense to escape the madness here.

30 minutes ago, xr399 said:

Yes. I got a statutory declaration of income from Canadian Embassy BKK in January with copies of my Canadian bank statements as well as original Canadian tax documents for Canada Pension Plan, Old Age Security and B.C. Public Pension Plan amounts totaling significantly more than the required 400,000 baht for marriage based extension. I have used this method for the last 10 years with no problem. Most renewals were done in Hua Hin, but the last 2 were done in Pathumthain Immigration.  Seems a new boss in place heading up Pathumtani Immigration since last renewal, that proceeded normally with the letter from Cdn. Embassy... not this time!! Immigration said that the letter needs to state that the funds came from Pension sources, and refused to accept the application. I went back to Cdn Embassy and asked if they would add that they had supporting documentation that the funds were indeed derived from pension payments.  The Embassy said no, that the letter is an internal form letter and could not be changed.  Also said that they will be phasing out providing this service in the next 2 years. The very helpful assistant at Canadian Embassy said she had never heard of the declaration letter being refused, and offered her personal business card and direct phone number to me.  She said to go back to Immigration and while there, to call her and she would explain the documentation I provided for proof of the declaration to the Immigration Officer.  So back to Immigration and explained this to the officer who refused to let us call, and also asked to speak with big boss man who also refused. Got a covid extension twice and renewed at a different Immigration office. They don't want us here. So plans to sell up everything here and move back to Victoria are underway. This covid mess will never be reasonably resolved here by inept Thai authorities, in Victoria they repealed mask laws a few weeks ago and a high percentage of population is fully vaccinated... only makes sense to escape the madness here.

so, if your application would of been successful you would have gone home anyways? I only use the 400k in the bank method and if what you were told is true about the verification letter being dead in 2 years  that won't make a difference to me. Hell, 400K thb is just over 15k cdn,  with your yearly income 'significantly more' than this I'm a little confused why you just didn't just park that in the bank especially after being under the covid shadow for the last year and a half.  I'm also concerned about catching covid but to sit on an airplane (especially for 18+ hours) is the last thing I'd do at this time, there's been too many cases of tested people infecting others. Personally, I don't miss Canada in the least. I worked a contract out west ending about 3 yrs ago and was real glad to return to Thailand. The cost of living in Canada is getting too stupid and all the massive taxation on everything (but little return imo) is basic robbery. But, as you're all set financially that won't trouble you so good luck.