Transformer Question

sirineou

So my kitchen equipment finally arrived from the US , Some dual voltage , but most 120v.

I Have a 1000W step down transformer,  which is adequate for most of my equipment, but i just realized that my Ninja food processor/ blender is rated 1500 w.  as with most food processors/ Blenders it will only run for very short times , a minute or two , or pulse. 

What do you think? would the 1000W transformer be adequate, or will I need to get another transformer?

30 minutes ago, Crossy said:

50% overload?

Suck it and see, but don't put a bigger fuse in.

It should pop the fuse/breaker in the transformer in a few seconds but if it lives ...

Really, I'd get a bigger Tx!

More importantly, how are you going to prevent accidental insertion of your US plugs into Thai outlets? The magic smoke is very difficult to get back in once it escapes!

I have set up my a station for me in the kitchen. 

No description available.

all my 120v equipment are plugged in to a strip outlet you see behind them, each outlet has it's own  on/off switch. that delivers 120v from the transformer

The strip outlet is plugged in to the 1000w transformer under the cabinet, I looked for a bigger transformer on Lazada, but anything bigger than 1000W was either out of stock or from China, If you can find a 2000W one  on stock locally , please send me a link and I will order it.  All of these equipment will be used one at the time. 

The transformer is plugged in  to a strip outlet that is connected to a 240v outlet and has a switch so I can turn the transformer on and of without having to go to the transformer in the cabinet, (do you think it will be too hot for the transformer in the cabinet? ).  all but the one outlet used by the transformer are covered by tape.

16 minutes ago, bankruatsteve said:

Even if you don't plug into 220V by mistake, it's just a matter of time that 50hz will kill them.  US appliances don't like living here.  ????

I hope not,

but I have them , so I might as well use them for as long as they last. 

You do seem to have taken reasonable precautions against the magic-smoke escaping. I would be tempted to get an Aussie power strip and some Aussie plugs to put on your 120V kit (Chinese ones are similar) just to remove the last of the risk.

Provided you don't load up that cabinet with other stuff the Tx should be OK in there, overloads notwithstanding.

• Like 2

As you seem to have a local transfer would caution that using at more than about half rated power is probably not a good idea - they are hugely over rated unless there have been major changes in recent years (I gave up on 120/60Hz decades ago).  Not only way too easy to plug into 220v the lower speeds due to 50Hz can be severe for motors and the excess heat burn them up.  Not to mention timer issues.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bankruatsteve said:

My 7kVA LiOA AVS that I bought at Global 7 years ago has a 110V output. I think they have smaller ones. Maybe an option? 

Excellent idea!

Kills two birds with one stone.

22 minutes ago, Crossy said:

You do seem to have taken reasonable precautions against the magic-smoke escaping. I would be tempted to get an Aussie power strip and some Aussie plugs to put on your 120V kit (Chinese ones are similar) just to remove the last of the risk.

Provided you don't load up that cabinet with other stuff the Tx should be OK in there, overloads notwithstanding.

That is a great idea. To be honest I did not know what an Aussie plug was, so I google it. The angled prongs would make it imposible to plugg 

2 hours ago, bankruatsteve said:

My 7kVA LiOA AVS that I bought at Global 7 years ago has a 110V output. I think they have smaller ones. Maybe an option? 

IMG_20210716_174546.jpg

Global house ? I was there earlier today (Khon Kaen) to got a door for a room addition we are doing  and I asked, They said they did not have transformers. I wonder if there is another place in Khon Kaen that has them, I will post on the Khon Kaen expat group  FB page, maybe I can get a lead there. 

can't you draw half phase from thai 220v supply to get 110v? some older Thai consumer unit (breaker box) seem to be set up in two banks just like in the US where you could get 220v across the whole phase and 110 for the rest 

2 hours ago, sirineou said:

That is a great idea. To be honest I did not know what an Aussie plug was, so I google it. The angled prongs would make it imposible to plugg 

Global house ? I was there earlier today (Khon Kaen) to got a door for a room addition we are doing  and I asked, They said they did not have transformers. I wonder if there is another place in Khon Kaen that has them, I will post on the Khon Kaen expat group  FB page, maybe I can get a lead there. 

You want an Amorn shop they are often in the same building as Big C, I don’t remember if the KK one is there. Alternatively try Central, there are a few places in there that may have something, there is also a mall with a bunch of electrical/electronic shops not far from Central. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, digbeth said:

can't you draw half phase from thai 220v supply to get 110v? some older Thai consumer unit (breaker box) seem to be set up in two banks just like in the US where you could get 220v across the whole phase and 110 for the rest 

i've not seen split-phase anywhere in Thailand, it must be very rare if it exists.

Are you sure you're not looking at a split-load CU with two RCDs as a safety feature (so you only lose half your power if one trips)?

10 hours ago, sirineou said:

Global house ? I was there earlier today (Khon Kaen) to got a door for a room addition we are doing  and I asked, They said they did not have transformers.

Ask for "voltage regulator" or "voltage stabilizer".  They are usually in front of the electric section.  Or, show them the photo.

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, bankruatsteve said:

Ask for "voltage regulator" or "voltage stabilizer".  They are usually in front of the electric section.  Or, show them the photo.

Those aren’t the same as the step down transformers, they are designed for a totally different job, taking variable voltage power in and outputting a stable voltage out. While there certainly can be ones that output 120v they are around 10~20 times the price of a step down transformer from Amorn. 
the good step down transformers start a a few hundred Baht for a lower wattage one up to 1~2 thousand for the kind the OP wants. The AVRs start at 15,000 and go up beyond 40,000 for the better more reliable higher power versions. 

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Those aren’t the same as the step down transformers,

I never said they were.  I suggested as a possible alternative.

37 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

The AVRs start at 15,000 and go up beyond 40,000 for the better more reliable higher power versions. 

Not true.  

image.png.8fe77e4a65fd160102487afe26f079d5.png

That was cursory Google search.  EGP = 2.09 THB but if Global carries likely to be less.

Edited by bankruatsteve
Add snip

12 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

You want an Amorn shop they are often in the same building as Big C, I don’t remember if the KK one is there. Alternatively try Central, there are a few places in there that may have something, there is also a mall with a bunch of electrical/electronic shops not far from Central. 

Thank you for that lead. 

I found an Amorn shop near me. the wife said she knows exactly where it is, I will go there later today.

• Like 1