Sandbox requirements

placeholder

I'm going from Thailand to my home country. While there I plan to be vaccinated. Then I plan to return via the Phuket (or maybe the Samui) sandbox

.Once the vaccination is completed in my home country, is there an additional waiting period imposed before I am eligible to return via the sandbox?

As an example, let's say that my vaccination is completed on Aug 1. Do I have to wait x number of days before I can take the flight back to Thailand to be eligible for sandbox entry? So, if it were a 14 day period, does that mean I would have to wait until Aug 15 to return?

Also, I do have standard insurance issued by a Thai company because I'm here on a marriage visa, not a tourist visa. Is it still required that I purchase one of those special Covid  insurance policies? I also have a work visa.

Thanks in advance.

Also, I am coming from elsewhere in Thailand. Is it possible to book a domestic connecting flight to Phuket in order to fly out from there. Or would a traveler be subject to the 14 day quarantine rule before boarding the international flight?

There is a 2 week period post 2nd vaccine.  I'm not sure how they count it but you might want to make it Aug 16th from your example to make sure there's 14 full days.

I think you'll need the insurance to get a COE for your return.  Check on your home embassy site as they'll issue the COE.

No need to fly out of Phuket.  Book an open jaw flight out of BKK and returning to Phuket.

8 minutes ago, treetops said:

There is a 2 week period post 2nd vaccine.  I'm not sure how they count it but you might want to make it Aug 16th from your example to make sure there's 14 full days.

I think you'll need the insurance to get a COE for your return.  Check on your home embassy site as they'll issue the COE.

No need to fly out of Phuket.  Book an open jaw flight out of BKK and returning to Phuket.

Thanks for the info.

Aren't open jaw flights usually a lot more expensive than a round trip?

It's 21 days but don't look for answers here on this forum it will turn into a scrum before 20 posts.

go to face book and search for Phuket sandbox where there are  hundreds of post a day by tourism insiders. 

Edited by madmen

4 minutes ago, madmen said:

It's 21 days but don't look for answers here on this forum it will turn into a scrum before 20 posts.

go to face book and search for Phuket sandbox where there are  hundreds of post a day by tourism insiders. 

WRONG - Unless the ‘waiting period' has changed today... It's 14 days. 

i.e. 14 days from the Second dose...

Day of vaccination, 1st August is Day Zero allow for 14 whole days and travel on day 15. 

Thus, the example the Op uses means he can travel on the 16th. 

OP: you will require insurance which provides a letter, or certificate which states that you are covered for Covid-19 related hospitalisation up to (or greater than) US$100,000 

41 minutes ago, madmen said:

21 days in your low or medium risk country of departure, but 14 days since vaccination (which is what was asked), but you could be right about the scrum when information like yours is getting posted.

• Haha 1

On 7/17/2021 at 11:48 AM, treetops said:

Most reports I read say it took one month to organize all the pre travel things if doing the standard ASQ entry process.  You will find that out as you start coordinating things.  COE, then COVID extra insurance with proper coverage periods, then book ASQ or if you do Phuket Sandbox follow those procedures.  Then coordinate all that with your plane flights, and if doing Phuket sandobx, you don't want to go through BKK.  That narrows down our flight choices.

Be wary of non refundable reservations, because things do change

10 hours ago, gk10012001 said:

Most reports I read say it took one month to organize all the pre travel things if doing the standard ASQ entry process.  You will find that out as you start coordinating things.  COE, then COVID extra insurance with proper coverage periods, then book ASQ or if you do Phuket Sandbox follow those procedures.  Then coordinate all that with your plane flights, and if doing Phuket sandobx, you don't want to go through BKK.  That narrows down our flight choices.

Be wary of non refundable reservations, because things do change

The first time I did my CoE (in July 2020) it took a couple of weeks. 

There was no online application back then, I communicated via e-mail directly with the Thai Embassy in London.

The main delay at the time was that there were no flights, just a couple of ‘repatriation flights’ that month, I had to wait for seat allocation from the Embassy.

The ASQ booking was simple enough. 

The insurance was simple enough (I had 12 months insurance, they quickly provided a letter of cover).

As soon as I’d paid for my seat, the Embassy issued me with the CoE.

The next time I did my CoE (March 2021) I had all the same documents at hand. 

The process took 3 hours from application to receipt of CoE - Submitted application and documents. 

Received Pre-approval after 8 minutes ( didn’t check my e-mail for a couple of hours !), submitted Flight and ASQ booking.... CoE arrived in my inbox 3 hr and 8 mins after I submitted the initial application. 

For me, the slowest part of the process is ‘researching and choosing’ where to stay... 

I’ll be doing it all again in a month - Sandbox this time if its still going. 

Should be a fairly painless process again, and once again the slowest part will be choosing where to stay.

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

The first time I did my CoE (in July 2020) it took a couple of weeks. 

There was no online application back then, I communicated via e-mail directly with the Thai Embassy in London.

The main delay at the time was that there were no flights, just a couple of ‘repatriation flights’ that month, I had to wait for seat allocation from the Embassy.

The ASQ booking was simple enough. 

The insurance was simple enough (I had 12 months insurance, they quickly provided a letter of cover).

As soon as I’d paid for my seat, the Embassy issued me with the CoE.

The next time I did my CoE (March 2021) I had all the same documents at hand. 

The process took 3 hours from application to receipt of CoE - Submitted application and documents. 

Received Pre-approval after 8 minutes ( didn’t check my e-mail for a couple of hours !), submitted Flight and ASQ booking.... CoE arrived in my inbox 3 hr and 8 mins after I submitted the initial application. 

For me, the slowest part of the process is ‘researching and choosing’ where to stay... 

I’ll be doing it all again in a month - Sandbox this time if its still going. 

Should be a fairly painless process again, and once again the slowest part will be choosing where to stay.

So your insurance was a general health insurance policy issued by a thai insurance company? Not travel insurance?

Hi,

Please could somebody recommend a good company for Covid insurance for the Phuket Sandbox, to get COE approval from UK?

I'm on a Retirement extension to an original Non OA visa.

I'd need 6 months duration.

I've read some bad things about AXA and it isn't cheap at 21000 baht !

Also will the UK embassy also require me to prove that I have additional long term Thai Medical Insurance?

Lastly, I assume my Thai Girlfriend, returning home after a UK holiday with me, will not be required to also purchase Covid insurance in order to obtain her COE?

Any and all answers greatly appreciated,

Many thanks

49 minutes ago, Chill27 said:

Lastly, I assume my Thai Girlfriend, returning home after a UK holiday with me, will not be required to also purchase Covid insurance in order to obtain her COE?

If she's going through the sandbox then she will need Covid insurance as mentioned here.  If doing ASQ then no she won't.

image.png.ef612c45d42fc9eca82d4caf40f5dcf0.png

Source:  https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/world.php

Also see the graphic at the bottom of this page from the Thai Embassy in London which mentions it.

https://london.thaiembassy.org/en/publicservice/requirements-for-foreigners-travelling-to-thailand-during-covid-19-tra?

39 minutes ago, treetops said:

If she's going through the sandbox then she will need Covid insurance as mentioned here.  If doing ASQ then no she won't.

Also see the graphic at the bottom of this page from the Thai Embassy in London which mentions it.

https://london.thaiembassy.org/en/publicservice/requirements-for-foreigners-travelling-to-thailand-during-covid-19-tra?

Thanks for the reply. I'm wondering whether that only applies to Thai Nationals going back to Thailand for a holiday, holding a return ticket to the UK.

If a Thai National is returning to Thailand permanently, how long are they supposed to buy Covid Insurance for? Obviously they cannot purchase Covid insurance to Cover the next 30-60 years!

43 minutes ago, treetops said:

Thanks for the reply. I'm wondering whether that only applies to Thai Nationals going back to Thailand for a holiday, holding a return ticket to the UK.

If a Thai National is returning to Thailand permanently, how long are they supposed to buy Covid Insurance for? Obviously they cannot purchase Covid insurance to Cover the next 30-60 years!

7 minutes ago, Chill27 said:

Yes, that's a strange one as I think what I've picked up from here is that the insurance (for non-Thais) must last until the date they're stamped in for by immigration.  For Thai nationals I have no idea how that would work.

1 hour ago, Heng said:

Might be a good idea to have a plan B as well, just in case we have to do a total country wide lockdown here, sandbox included.

Yes, but trying to make alternative plans is impossible when you cannot get timely responses from Government departments.

For example my Girlfriend obtained a Covid "exceptional assurance" from the UK Home Office which allowed her to overstay her visa until 10th August.

In light of the third wave sweeping Thailand, I applied for another extension 3 weeks ago. 

I still haven't had a response back.

I just need a yes or no!

If she has to leave on the 10th August, I need to start making arrangements now !

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Chill27 said:

Yes, but trying to make alternative plans is impossible when you cannot get timely responses from Government departments.

For example my Girlfriend obtained a Covid "exceptional assurance" from the UK Home Office which allowed her to overstay her visa until 10th August.

In light of the third wave sweeping Thailand, I applied for another extension 3 weeks ago. 

I still haven't had a response back.

I just need a yes or no!

If she has to leave on the 10th August, I need to start making arrangements now !

Of course.   I meant plan B in general terms.   Myself, still thinking of going stateside, but well prepared that I might have to stay stateside for 6 months to a year+ as well if things go the way of India (not being able to cremate bodies in a timely manner, etc.) or Brazil (mass covid graves in Manaus) here for example.