Sell, Store, Ship, Or...?

mystuff

Seems quite likely I'll be returning to the UK in the next couple of months. Really can't say for the moment if this will be for a few months or a permanent thing. I've been here a few years now and have built up quite a collection of stuff. Plus, until recently the (ex)girlfriend was still persuading me to buy things, so I've even got goods just a few weeks or months old.

Most of my things are impractical to take as luggage. All of it could be replaced in the UK (or bought again here) but to save some money I'd prefer not to just give the stuff away. The sort of goods I'm thinking of include:

Desktop pc, printer, scanner, LCD monitor x2, hotplate, rice cooker, bread maker, desk fan, liquidizer, dining table and chairs, computer table, washing machine, fridge, television, etc.

The options I have are:

1) Pay the rent in advance for the place I'm living in now, and plan to return soon.

2) Sell the bigger stuff, and ship the rest.

3) Give it all away.

Option 1 is attractive, but if I find a job in the UK, coming back to claim my stuff would be an expensive waste of time.

Option 2 is an unknown quantity to me. How much would it cost, and would I be liable for customs etc.? (I have a work permit and have been working here for years.)

Option 3 is a no-no for financial reasons.

As an aside, just how much could I expect for my stuff, as a percentage of the original price? If this were England, I'd say about 50% but I've seen some very high prices advertised for second hand things. Do people get that, or are they just eternal optimists?

Any advice or experience greatly welcomed.

No no no, option 3 is your only option, PM me your address, I will come and collect it all. :o

Edit for typo

Why not send me your bank details and I'll transfer any spare cash too?

Sorry, can't be too trusting with the details, just put the cash in an envelope and give it to me in person....

All joking aside, you could post in the classified section if you wanted to sell your belongings.

No no no, option 3 is your only option, PM me your address, I will come and collect it all. :o

Edit for typo

Why not send me your bank details and I'll transfer any spare cash too?

Sorry, can't be too trusting with the details, just put the cash in an envelope and give it to me in person....

All joking aside, you could post in the classified section if you wanted to sell your belongings.

Yes, I've seen that and also noticed what seemed to me the high prices that people apparently expect for their second hand goods. Or am I just mistaken?

No, I don't think you are mistaken, noticed that myself.

Out of interest, why are you going back home, have things not turned out how you expected?

I'm not quite sure that I ever expected anything. I just went along with things as they happened, and have found myself in a semi-reasonable-paying (70K) job that I don't enjoy. Getting a similar wage with a different employer is not so easy, and so I think I should take another jump into the unknown and return to the UK.

Shipping agents can usually negotiate a fixed fee for clearing your goods.

Have a detailed list ready and then decide whether it is worth it.

A few years back I shipped a 20ft container and it was cleared for $2000, much cheaper than replacing everything.

My first move back to the US, I opted to ship my junk. It cost me $1,500 and when the junk arrived, I couldn't believe how stupid I had been. I would have been hard pressed to get $500 for the whole lot.

My first move back to the US, I opted to ship my junk. It cost me $1,500 and when the junk arrived, I couldn't believe how stupid I had been. I would have been hard pressed to get $500 for the whole lot.

I certainly wouldn't be thinking about paying that much. Was thinking more along the lines of a big box posted by UPS or the Thai post office. Nonetheless, thanks for reminding me not to waste money.

Sell the PC and items and scrap junk like rice cookers. How much will you get for the PC? I think 50% is a bit optimistic

Fifty percent too optimistic? You may be right. But what I can't work out is how people keep advertising stuff on this web site at ridiculous prices. I guess they never get buyers, other than the occassional mug who wants to save a couple of thousand baht. Here's hoping I find some mugs. :o

Hey, MS.

I went throught the same thing a few times. Leave stuff with friends and it eventually disappears or is lent forever to someone.

Make up a detailed list of items with prices a bit higher than what you want (everyone loves to negotiate), add a few pics of the furniture and post around your neighbourhood and in the classifieds here. You could also try the lot sale, everything for BtXX. Sometimes a newbie will find it cheaper. Then you can throw in the rice cooker, etc as a bonus.

Where are you located? Phuket has a couple of second hand shops that buy peoples goods, I am assuming Bangkok would have something similar.

Also, the online classifieds here and on bahtandsold are good. Try both. :o

But, yeah, unless you are absolutely sure you are coming back, get rid of it.

Hey, MS.

I went throught the same thing a few times. Leave stuff with friends and it eventually disappears or is lent forever to someone.

Make up a detailed list of items with prices a bit higher than what you want (everyone loves to negotiate), add a few pics of the furniture and post around your neighbourhood and in the classifieds here. You could also try the lot sale, everything for BtXX. Sometimes a newbie will find it cheaper. Then you can throw in the rice cooker, etc as a bonus.

The very same thought occurred to me. :o

Where are you located? Phuket has a couple of second hand shops that buy peoples goods, I am assuming Bangkok would have something similar.

Also, the online classifieds here and on bahtandsold are good. Try both. :o

But, yeah, unless you are absolutely sure you are coming back, get rid of it.

I'm in Bangkok. I'll take a look at bahtandsold later today. Thanks.

Secondhand shops give you way less; sell direct via posters in shops/bars/restaurants and the friend network worked best for me.

True, MS; first time I left Canada, I left all my stuff in my parents basement. Came home and all my kitchen stuff, bedding, linens were in their motorhome. (Oh we didn't think you needed them...) Same disappearance tricks happened with farang friends in Thailand except it was "Fan? what fan? That table? We bought that at Tesco..."