Floods Europe.

I surprised no one posting here from Germany or Belgium.

The News says floods and looking at pix on France 24 looks more like a sunami.

The news just talks of rain but there must of been an epicentre where the water came from. 

Anyone here know where all that water could of come from.

Sorry if you are being affected by this disaster.

1 minute ago, DaLa said:

Probably not impacted by it so easily not remembered, so here’s a few:

Only one in "my lifetime" memory above the death toll that surprises me in your list is Italy, off to look that one up and see why I don't remember it. No doubt it would have been all over the news.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, DaLa said:

1985  Italy 286 dead

Ah, I do remember that one, and actually watched a TV program recently about it ... the dams collapsed. A tragedy indeed. I was thinking more along the lines of heavy rain and rivers overflowing.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Germany.

Very heavy rains simply.

And combined with coming down very quickly on hilly terrain, narrow valleys.

Small rivers becoming raging streams.

Houses swept away.

People trapped in their cars in underpasses, drown in cellars etc.

Handicapped people unable to flee.

From the total amount of water there were heavier floods in Germany but they flooded flat terrains, big rivers becoming lakes.

"Flood of the century" 2002, days of continued strong rains. slow flooding.

Edited by KhunBENQ

17 minutes ago, Salerno said:

Ah, I do remember that one, and actually watched a TV program recently about it ... the dams collapsed. A tragedy indeed. I was thinking more along the lines of heavy rain and rivers overflowing.

You are correct, there are several that are attributed to dam bursts on Wiki.  I have lived next to a very fast flowing river only 15 miles downstream from 2 huge dams in Derbyshire and I weighed up the beauty and relaxing yet sometimes thrilling movement of water against the possibility of flooding and insurance impact.   I live within 500 metres of the Chao Phraya with all the risks that entails , however, not in a high rise condo where I've no idea what's holding my building up.

Disasters happen every day and I feel for anyone that loses family or has to wade through mud to rescue their belongings.  

25 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Germany.

Very heavy rains simply.

And combined with coming down very quickly on hilly terrain, narrow valleys.

Small rivers becoming raging streams.

Houses swept away.

People trapped in their cars in underpasses, drown in cellars etc.

Handicapped people unable to flee.

From the total amount of water there were heavier floods in Germany but they flooded flat terrains, big rivers becoming lakes.

"Flood of the century" 2002, days of continued strong rains. slow flooding.

Thanks, people being interviewed said they sand bagged doors and when the water came, it started to come through and they went upstairs and water level got upstairs windows surely just doesn't do that sounds like a dam burst. 

53 minutes ago, DaLa said:

2018 - Spain and France 69 dead

2014   Bosnia 86 dead

2012   Russia 172 dead

1997 and 2002   Czech republic over 100 dead on both occasions

1985  Italy 286 dead

etc etc

and way before Politicians were within hours of this latest flooding declaring it is due to Global warming

1970   Romania 209 dead

1963   Italy 1917 dead

and

1953 In my living memory, UK and Netherlands 2000 dead.

All those were floods to kill people, what I'm trying to say there must of been a epicentre from where the water came from to go from the ground floor of a house to the upstairs level in a matter of minutes not hours as reported. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

just doesn't do that sounds like a dam burst. 

A dam burst is still possible in the aftermath.

Some dispute with the Netherlands to open some floodgate which they won't.

What I read today is really disturbing.

There were clear warnings given to German authorities about things to come >four days ahead<! Warning stuck somewhere.

Total administration failure. People were warned too late if at all.

The local public radio played some pop charts all night. No warning, nothing!

Germany's disaster control is a disaster of its own.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Sad 1

21 hours ago, DaLa said:

2018 - Spain and France 69 dead

2014   Bosnia 86 dead

2012   Russia 172 dead

1997 and 2002   Czech republic over 100 dead on both occasions

1985  Italy 286 dead

etc etc

and way before Politicians were within hours of this latest flooding declaring it is due to Global warming

1970   Romania 209 dead

1963   Italy 1917 dead

and

1953 In my living memory, UK and Netherlands 2000 dead.

So earlier floodings mean this is not related to manmade global warming. Extremely dumb and wrong reasoning, even more so since you're not looking at causes and measures taken since.

Edited by stevenl

27 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Seen all live pictures on France 24 news many people coming together and help each other, people being air lifted into helicopters. Cars floating down a village high street.

Still no mention of epicentre only comments from Belgiums PM that there will investigations.

On 7/19/2021 at 11:09 AM, stevenl said:

So earlier floodings mean this is not related to manmade global warming. Extremely dumb and wrong reasoning, even more so since you're not looking at causes and measures taken since.

Where did I say earlier floodings prove this occurrence was not due to global warming? What concerns me is the timescale in which this was deemed by politicians to be caused by such. I am not convinced either way with regard to the theoretical claim of global warming and there are numbers of studies relating to the issue proclaiming for and against.

Your suggestion that my response is ‘dumb and wrong’ places you in the same category as the politicians. To utter such a statement proves you are no better a judge of human beings than you are an example of one.

(Opening) Kwasaki asks:

----------------

The news just talks of rain but there must of been an epicentre where the water came from. 

Sorry if you are being affected by this disaster.

------------------------

Easy answer: from the sky  :smile: !

But the real problem is why from the sky?

The earth is getting hotter, year by year, for many reasons (too much to explain it here). The not so heavy rain has been reduced by  CO-2 in the athmosphere. That seems not to be logical and is inconsistent. Now the explanation to this contradiction: the low/thin rainfall has been replaced by not so many, but  heavier rainfalls. Then the water doesn't/cannot seep into the earth, but runs down on the surface of the earth into rivers.

The reason for more heavy rain falls (detected by Clausius Clapeyron in the 19th century):   An air masse, satisfied by humidity, contains 7% more of steam, when the global earth-warming rises by only 1°  !  This is more than over the ocean (~2%).  Therefore, more stronger rain, but at the same time not so many rainfalls. That is due to climate change!

Edited by puck2

On 7/20/2021 at 10:05 AM, DaLa said:

Where did I say earlier floodings prove this occurrence was not due to global warming? What concerns me is the timescale in which this was deemed by politicians to be caused by such. I am not convinced either way with regard to the theoretical claim of global warming and there are numbers of studies relating to the issue proclaiming for and against.

Your suggestion that my response is ‘dumb and wrong’ places you in the same category as the politicians. To utter such a statement proves you are no better a judge of human beings than you are an example of one.

You at least implied it.

And no, global warming is not a theoretical claim, you coming up with this clearly shows what you were implying earlier on. So thanks for proving me right.

• Sad 1