60,000 doses of China’s Sinopharm vaccine fully subscribed in 90 minutes on Sunday

webfact

000_9B67RQ.jpg

(Photo by ISHARA S. KODIKARA / AFP)

The 60,000 doses of Sinopharm vaccine, ordered by the Chulabhorn Royal Academy (CRA) from China, have been fully subscribed since bookings started at 8am Sunday.

The bookings are for people living in and around Bangkok and in the four southern provinces of Yala, Pattani, Narathiwat and Songkhla.

About half an hour after bookings opened, the CRA issued a statement saying that its website had experienced a technical problem, due to the overwhelming number of applications being made. It offered an apology and promised to fix the problem as quickly as possible.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/60000-doses-of-chinas-sinopharm-vaccine-fully-subscribed-in-90-minutes-on-sunday/

Logo-top-.png
  • Haha 1

They need to be seen doing something, so with no other vaccine available, not in significant numbers anyway, they bring the inferior one, better than nothing, is the line of thoughts there...

Edited by ezzra
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Fex Bluse said:

They will be mostly Chinese nationals working here who can only return to China if they take a Chinese vaccine as China does not acknowledge other vaccines. 

China already sent Thailand more than enough vaccines to vaccinate its entire expat population.

China, in global campaign, vaccinates its people in Thailand

Chinese citizens living in Thailand began being vaccinated on Thursday as part of China's global campaign to inoculate its nationals living and working abroad.

China recently donated 500,000 vaccine doses, and Thailand agreed in turn to inoculate Chinese nationals as it slowly rolls out shots for its own citizens to contain a coronavirus surge that has sickened tens of thousands in the past two months.

Yang Xin, minister counsellor at the Chinese Embassy, said Beijing's “Spring Sprout” program would benefit tens of thousands of Chinese in the country. An estimated 150,000 Chinese citizens live in Thailand.

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/wireStory/china-global-campaign-vaccinates-people-thailand-77797706

Stop making things up.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Oxx said:

You appear to be confusing Sinopharm with Sinovac.  Different vaccines.

Sinopharm 79% effective for normal covid stains. Better than AZ even. But same problem with Delta. It's still better than getting nothing

• Like 1

Any evidence to suggest Sinopharm works any better than Sinovac? It seems unlikely because is the same methodology, except that Sinopharm uses two different vaccines, one for first shot and another for second. It also seems unlikely that anyone will dare to critique it in Thailand.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GreasyFingers said:

But they could not bash China if they did that. I wonder how many times these posters have said the same thing on every topic. Does it make them feel warm and fuzzy?

Like China itself, these critics seem unable to evaluate the scientific issues vs. political issues.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Soikhaonoiken said:

Why do they continue to use the sub standard vaccine,.... 

Thailand has made a deal with the devil, China. Only buy China vaccines and China submarines

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Dogmatix said:

Any evidence to suggest Sinopharm works any better than Sinovac? It seems unlikely because is the same methodology, except that Sinopharm uses two different vaccines, one for first shot and another for second. It also seems unlikely that anyone will dare to critique it in Thailand.

Methodology is far from being a determining factor. Curevac, a pioneer in mRNA vaccines, just produced an mRNA covid vaccine with 47% effectiveness.

• Like 1

On Sunday, my wife received a phone call from an official at the village where she is registered, asking her if she wanted to register to receive Sinopharm. She was told that registration was walk-in only and would take place on Monday between 9am and 12 and yes, foreigners could also register. I wasn't particularly interested but the wife did a complete about-face from being anti-vaccine to couldn't get there quick enough. The reason. "because this vaccine comes from the princess".

Anyway, we got there about 9:30 on Monday morning but nobody showed up to take any registrations until about 10:30. They weren't interested in seeing a copy of the house registration, our address, copy of id, blood group and contact details were all they wanted on the form - in my case I used the "useless" pink card as my id.

They confirmed that we would be receiving Sinopharm but couldn't give any timescale whatsoever. 

I have to say I'm somewhat surprised here to read that all doses ordered by the CRA were fully subscribed to as of Sunday. Only time will tell whether we wasted our time showing up on Monday.

A post denigrating and calling Chinese vaccines useless and referring to it with derogatory names have been removed.

Whilst it may be less effective in certain cases ie Delta strain it is by no means useless.

At the end of the day this is a Thai government sponsored vaccine and the forum and or yourself can get in trouble for comments like this so stop it.

• Like 1