Now is an important juncture point globally as the consequences could be catastrophic

steven100

Just now, Khabib said:

Its high time that confetti money collapsed, I reckon

Mind you, with the delta variant, soon there won't be any rush on toilet tissue - it's there, ready and available from the wallet 55

15 minutes ago, Golden Triangle said:

Sorry, I don't understand what you're saying ??

I was just adding to your comment: You saying, "we won't have to put up with your comments, " and my adding "...now that you have your own thread, Uncle." 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, polpott said:

I am currently in Uk and was double vaccinated with AZ vaccine but succumbed to Delta variant. However, it was less unpleasant than the flu and I'm now fully recovered. It doesn't prevent infection but does mitigate serious illness.

I'm glad to hear that you're recovered Mr Polpott BUT to be fair it appears to effect folk differently......I know one guy was having horrendous pains from the waist up, now it turned into horrendous pains from the waist down and going up the 'back passage' ????

8 hours ago, Golden Triangle said:

Hopefully we won't have to put up with your comments, that would be refreshing ????

what's your problem ....  because someone else doesn't agree with your opinion !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pretty immature     ????

Edited by steven100
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, driver52 said:

can you prove that? if the vaccine 'protects you' how come there are numerous reports of 'double vaxxed' getting delta variant?

Well it gives you some protection, cases of infection are growing in 

the Uk for example, but far few people are dying , or admitted to

hospitals , double vaxxed with Sinovac , + Delta variant , not good.

regards Worgeorgdie

8 hours ago, Tanomazu said:

A lot of companies are having the best quarters of all time in 2021. In fact the economy is doing so well that the Fed is having to consider steps to prevent the economy from overheating.

Hmmmm. I thought the problem was inflation, caused IMO by the massive amounts of money the Biden administration is giving to people.

Given how many companies are complaining about a labour shortage, I fail to see how the economy is "overheating".

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I think that it's nowhere as severe as 1918 and the world carried on then.

The difference...

What a load. The difference is the world just came out if the Great War and influenza deaths seemed pale in comparison to the horrors of that conflict. Economies were already off the rails with war debt. Knowing some history is a good thing, so we don't make nonsensical statements.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, mikebike said:

What a load. The difference is the world just came out if the Great War and influenza deaths seemed pale in comparison to the horrors of that conflict. Economies were already off the rails with war debt. Knowing some history is a good thing, so we don't make nonsensical statements.

Speaking of "loads".

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, polpott said:

I am currently in Uk and was double vaccinated with AZ vaccine but succumbed to Delta variant. However, it was less unpleasant than the flu and I'm now fully recovered. It doesn't prevent infection but does mitigate serious illness.

Thanks for the timely report. Sinovac also does that equally well, but that doesn't shut up the Sinovac bashers though, these folks have an agenda and they are relentless to pin it on everybody's head. To throw any vial of Sinovac away is to waste another opportunity to save lives. Yes, there are better drugs, but it's like wanting a to drive a Mercedes instead of a Nissan, when both can equally spare you a trip on foot over the mountain (but if you want to take a hike, then noboby's gonna stop you!)

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Hmmmm. I thought the problem was inflation, caused IMO by the massive amounts of money the Biden administration is giving to people.

Given how many companies are complaining about a labour shortage, I fail to see how the economy is "overheating".

"Transatlantic inflation surge fuels economists’ fears of overheating

Rising pace of price growth largely driven by recovery from pandemic and supply chain shortages"

https://www.ft.com/content/61346c2f-de96-4ad7-91c1-028efe4706ff

You're right of course, Biden's big handout also contributed to the rising inflation, but it looks like the recovery from the pandemic is the main driver of inflation.

1 hour ago, Tanomazu said:

the recovery from the pandemic is the main driver of inflation.

the driver of inflation is the trillions of dorrar the FED is creating, inflation is almost exclusively a monetary issue 

1 minute ago, driver52 said:

the driver of inflation is the trillions of dorrar the FED is creating, inflation is almost exclusively a monetary issue 

No, the main driver appears to be the economic recovery from the pandemic, which is resulting in increased prices. The Biden handouts are making things worse. But the real cause of the inflation is rising prices from the pandemic recovery.

"Most economists and policymakers still consider the trend a transitory phenomenon tied to the lifting of pandemic-related restrictions — rather than a return to 1970s-style inflationary spirals. "

Both the US and the UK are experiencing price rises in part thanks to the unlocking of their economies as measures to control the spread of coronavirus are relaxed. For example, in the US travel-related costs such as airfares, hotel fees and car rentals experienced significant price rises. Both economies are also experiencing price growth in sectors that have suffered supply chain bottlenecks."

5 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I think that it's nowhere as severe as 1918 and the world carried on then.

The difference IMO is that governments didn't take measures to destroy their economies back then.

Who knows what they are going to resort to now?

The second wave in late 1918 of the "Spanish" 'flu caused between 20-50 million deaths, and affected 500m people, about 1/3 of the world population at the time. This came simultaneously and on the back of the death of 20 million in the '14-'18 war. There was no social media then, so it's difficult to know how "the world carried on"; media coverage was tightly controlled by a few press barons.

There were lasting effects.

Just now, samtam said:

The second wave in late 1918 of the "Spanish" 'flu caused between 20-50 million deaths, and affected 500m people, about 1/3 of the world population at the time. This came simultaneously and on the back of the death of 20 million in the '14-'18 war. There was no social media then, so it's difficult to know how "the world carried on"; media coverage was tightly controlled by a few press barons.

There were lasting effects.

My reference to "carrying on" was that not only did nations survive, but they repopulated to the extent that millions more could be killed in WW2.

1 hour ago, Tanomazu said:

No, the main driver appears to be the economic recovery from the pandemic, which is resulting in increased prices. The Biden handouts are making things worse. But the real cause of the inflation is rising prices from the pandemic recovery.

"Most economists and policymakers still consider the trend a transitory phenomenon tied to the lifting of pandemic-related restrictions — rather than a return to 1970s-style inflationary spirals. "

Both the US and the UK are experiencing price rises in part thanks to the unlocking of their economies as measures to control the spread of coronavirus are relaxed. For example, in the US travel-related costs such as airfares, hotel fees and car rentals experienced significant price rises. Both economies are also experiencing price growth in sectors that have suffered supply chain bottlenecks."

Of more worry to me now than corona is that prices/ rents will rise beyond pensioners ability to pay, while the banks keep interest rates as low as possible. The government doesn't give enough pension to rent a decent place and still eat NOW, so I can't see the government compensating pensioners for the rising costs they created.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Of more worry to me now than corona is that prices/ rents will rise beyond pensioners ability to pay, while the banks keep interest rates as low as possible. The government doesn't give enough pension to rent a decent place and still eat NOW, so I can't see the government compensating pensioners for the rising costs they created.

Well, you were one of the lucky ones to still get a pension. The generations that come after you will no longer be able to receive pensions at some point. In part because governments are so overburdened with pension debts, by far the biggest expenditure in any developed country's budget, that it is not feasible that this state of affairs can continue. Equally future generations could ask older generations to compensate them for being unable to receive pensions soon.

But I agree, of course, pensions are small.

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, driver52 said:

I'm glad to hear that you're recovered Mr Polpott BUT to be fair it appears to effect folk differently......I know one guy was having horrendous pains from the waist up, now it turned into horrendous pains from the waist down and going up the 'back passage' ????

"Oo err Missus!"

• Haha 1

On 7/19/2021 at 10:10 PM, steven100 said:

Well, they need to get hold of 120 million vaccines and pretty quickly thats for sure.  

Unfortunately, there appear to be a large number of people still assuming that once they have been vaccinated they are safe from infection and can stop taking precautions.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Tanomazu said:

Well, you were one of the lucky ones to still get a pension. The generations that come after you will no longer be able to receive pensions at some point. In part because governments are so overburdened with pension debts, by far the biggest expenditure in any developed country's budget, that it is not feasible that this state of affairs can continue. Equally future generations could ask older generations to compensate them for being unable to receive pensions soon.

But I agree, of course, pensions are small.

If pensioners can't get a pension expect a crime wave as they ain't going to starve to death quietly while living in a cardboard box under a bridge.

• Haha 1