Driving BKK to Surat Thani

corkman

Hi Everyone,

I will be driving to Surat in a few days time from BKK (I am aware of the travel documents required).

I did the drive 700km drive 10 years and recall it took about 8 hours. I assume the roads have only improved since then, and there won't be much traffic. Is 8hrs realistic?

I also recall there are not many places to stop for refreshment breaks. I can eat Thai food and I am not picky. For long drives I believe in stopping for short but frequent breaks, and light meals (more like healthy snacks). Any recommended pitstops (or dead zones)?

Thanks in advance.

2. 75- 3.0 hrs to Hua Hin and lunch. 

6.5 to 7 more hrs HH to Surat Thani

14 minutes ago, corkman said:

Is 8hrs realistic?

or by pass HH and go to PKK for lunch. 90 more minutes

8.5 hrs if you don't stop for anything. 

Edited by NCC1701A
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've done it many times, 8 hours is realistic if you drive at night but not in the day time. Budget for around 10 hours particularly if you have some time deadline like a ferry  booking.

The roads haven't changed much in the last 10 years. The road into Surat is still under perpetual roadworks, everything else is still 2 lanes all the way with the left lane damaged in places so trucks use the right line a lot of the way.

• Thanks 1

Hello,

I am just curious.

Is driving from Bangkok to Surat Thani possible at this moment?

I, also, need to drive to the South in the near future, but the news talking about the lock down worries me. I was trying to find any detailed information regarding the restirictions on driving for inter-provincial movement, but I couldn't really get any info regarding whether there is permission required, quarantine required, etc...

Does anyone have any info on this?

Current advice is stay home, do not travel unless absolutely necessary.

Travelling out of Songkhla Province you need to get an exit permit from the police station, I don't know how it is for other provinces. Should you manage to travel and be allowed in, if you've come from one of the dark red provinces (Bangkok, Nonthaburi, Samut Prakan, Samut Sakhon, Pathum Thani, Nakhon Pathom, Narathiwat, Pattani, Songkhla or Yala) you're required to quarantine for 14 days on arrival.

Arriving into Songkhla you scan the QR code and enter your details which generates a a personal QR code that you can be required to show.

We're used to police or army checkpoints and roadblocks in the south, and the police and army are well used to operating them. How it's working in the rest of the country I've no idea.

In Narathiwat Province checkpoints have been set up between districts to prevent people from venturing out of their own district. I'm a little worried because I need to get my visa extension next week and that is in a different district.

we drive from Surat Thani to Bangkok a few times a year, average trip is around 9 to 10 hours depending on traffic, always seems to be road works somewhere along it as well plus the police checks that tend to slow it down.