TYPE O VISA

I would like to confirm that my understanding of obtaining a Type o Non-Immigrant Visa is correct.

My understanding that the only way you can obtain a 90 day type O Non-Immigrant Visa in Thailand is to have a Tourist Visa or you must obtain a 90 day Non-Immigrant Visa from a Thai Consulate in another country.

You can't convert a one year retirement extension based on a Non-Immigrant O-A in Thailand to a Type O Non-Immigrant Visa.

I currently have a one year permission to stay based on retirement from my Non-Immigrant Type O-A. My permission to stay expires on Dec. 08, 2021. I will be leaving Thailand next month and plan on returning at the end of November 2021. My re-entry permit expires on Dec. 06,2021.

My plan is to obtain a 60 day Tourist Visa and, when I enter Thailand, I will convert my Tourist Visa to a 90 day Type O. I then will be able to obtain a one year permission to stay based on retirement from my 90 day Type O Visa.

The reason I would like to do this is because one does not have to have insurance if your one year permission to stay based on retirement is from a Non-Immigrant Type O instead of a Non-Immigrant Type O-A. 

Can anyone confirm that my understanding of this situation is correct?  

You may not be able to apply for a tourist visa with a valid re-entry permit.

If you enter the country with your valid re-entry permit just a few days before it expires immigration may ask you if you want to use the re-entry permit or enter visa exempt that would allow a 30 day entry if you qualify for one. Leave the space for a visa number on your TM6 arrival card blank.

If you enter visa exempt the 30 days (45 days if the order for them is renewed) can be extended for 30 days.

You can apply for the non-o visa with a visa exempt entry.

Thanks for that information Joe.

In other words, if I'm able to obtain a 60 day tourist visa and enter before my re-entry permit expires, my 60 day tourist visa will override my re-entry permit.

However, if I don't have a 60 day tourist visa, I will have to ask the immigration officer to disregard my re-entry permit and allow me to enter as a tourist.

Is that correct?

1 hour ago, TBKK said:

Thanks for that information Joe.

In other words, if I'm able to obtain a 60 day tourist visa and enter before my re-entry permit expires, my 60 day tourist visa will override my re-entry permit.

However, if I don't have a 60 day tourist visa, I will have to ask the immigration officer to disregard my re-entry permit and allow me to enter as a tourist.

Is that correct?

Since you have an unexpired reentry permit, many (most?) embassies will refuse to issue you a tourist visa. Try to have your reentry permit cancelled where it was originally issued before leaving Thailand.

Didn't realize that I would be able to have my re-entry permit canceled. That's a good idea in order to insure that I'll be able to obtain a 60 day tourist visa.

However, in the past, I have been able to obtain a Non -Immigrant  O-A Visa  even tho my existing O-A had not expired.

Since you can never tell how the Thai Consulate will act, canceling my existing re-entry permit would be the best way to proceed in order to be safe.

37 minutes ago, TBKK said:

Didn't realize that I would be able to have my re-entry permit canceled. That's a good idea in order to insure that I'll be able to obtain a 60 day tourist visa.

I am sure it cannot be canceled. I have never heard of an office doing it. About the same as wanting a extension canceled that they will not do without a valid reason such a changing the reason for a extension or not maintaining the requirements for a extension.

However, in the past, I have been able to obtain a Non -Immigrant  O-A Visa  even tho my existing O-A had not expired.

Since you can never tell how the Thai Consulate will act, canceling my existing re-entry permit would be the best way to proceed in order to be safe.

I guess all I can do is tell them that I would like to cancel based on the fact that I want to enter Thailand at the end of November on a 60 day tourist visa.

If you have never heard of this being done, they will probably tell me "can not" !