Travel to UK via EU country

21 hours ago, gungadin1 said:

Also are there any restrictions now Thailand are red listed to EU?

The EU does not have a red list as such, each member state has it's own red list but as a transit passenger you do not enter the country concerned.

People keep talking about the EU entry ban as if it was all encompassing, but like everything else there are always exemptions. For Croatia, tourists are listed as an exemption. If I remember right, the transit zone at Schiphol is "landside" rather than "airside". In many airports you remain "airside".

You are travelling through the Netherlands to a non-EU country. You must prove that you have a connecting flight to a country outside the Schengen area. The connecting flight must depart within 48 hours of your arrival in Amsterdam. You must not leave the airport’s international transit zone in this period.

https://www.government.nl/topics/coronavirus-covid-19/visiting-the-netherlands-from-abroad/exemptions-to-the-entry-ban/eu-entry-ban-exemption-categories

The main point of concern however is how the  UK sees the transit airport, currently Holland is amber so would be ok. My ticket is with Emirates and with Dubai being in a UK red country that would mean the mandatory government quarantine in the UK.

• Like 1

you have to check the restrictions in each EU country.

you can find info at skyscanner.com but not sure how updated it is.

i lost an air ticket when i tried to fly via germany, and the airline told me i must

have a PCR test made 48 hours before flight, and not 72 hours as my destination country required.

We travelled back to the UK on Sunday night (18th July) through Schipol via KLM.

No issues. Just needed our negative test and PLF at check in.

These were checked again before being allowed to board the final flight to Newcastle, but, again, no issue.

Not sure if any of that will change when Netherlands put Thailand on their Red list on the 24th.

It shouldn't do, but best to check with them.

If you're travelling through Dubai, you'll need to book a quarantine hotel before you travel.

33 minutes ago, SCOTT FITZGERSLD said:

you have to check the restrictions in each EU country.

you can find info at skyscanner.com but not sure how updated it is.

i lost an air ticket when i tried to fly via germany, and the airline told me i must

have a PCR test made 48 hours before flight, and not 72 hours as my destination country required.

It seems that the U.K requires a test done with 72 hours to enter the U.K and the airline requires a test done within 48 hours for the flight .

Wasnt you able to reschedule the flight ?

38 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

It seems that the U.K requires a test done with 72 hours to enter the U.K and the airline requires a test done within 48 hours for the flight .

Wasnt you able to reschedule the flight ?

yes the airline offered rescedule with no extra cost, just pay the fair difference of 6 times the original cost

15 hours ago, sandyf said:

If I remember right, the transit zone at Schiphol is "landside" rather than "airside". In many airports you remain "airside".

Non-Schengen transit at AMS is airside.

Schengen transit at AMS is landside.

I was unaware of this difference as for decades my transits through AMS had always been from non-Schengen US, Thailand, etc., to the non-Schengen UK and vice-versa.

Last year, I made my first transit via the Schengen side of the airport after coming in from Portugal in transit to the UK. I didn't recognize ANY of the transit facilities or shops and was thinking what a huge, 'new' airport makeover this must have been. Then I transferred over to the non-Schengen airside for the hop to the UK and suddenly I was back in the 'old' Schiphol.

9 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Non-Schengen transit at AMS is airside.

Schengen transit at AMS is landside.

I was unaware of this difference as for decades my transits through AMS had always been from non-Schengen US, Thailand, etc., to the non-Schengen UK and vice-versa.

Last year, I made my first transit via the Schengen side of the airport after coming in from Portugal in transit to the UK. I didn't recognize ANY of the transit facilities or shops and was thinking what a huge, 'new' airport makeover this must have been. Then I transferred over to the non-Schengen airside for the hop to the UK and suddenly I was back in the 'old' Schiphol.

I haven't been though AMS for some time but did use it regularly at one time with China Airlines. In 2000 I had to wait all day for my flight to the UK so caught the train into the city. It surprised me at the time as it wouldn't be "normal", wouldn't be out of the question for that to have been a wrong move.

Can't really remember about other times but your comment makes more sense.

Edited by sandyf

On 7/23/2021 at 11:52 AM, Mac Mickmanus said:

I think it's a transit condition imposed by Germany, not any airline, although it is currently not required for non-Schengen to non-Schengen transit.

image.png.6478a151a49a318e9edbf93c9627dfe1.png

On 7/23/2021 at 4:59 PM, Lokie said:

Few weeks ago my mate flew Phuky - BKK then KLM to Manchester via AMD no problem - 10 day home Q

I have been looking to go to the UK, fully vaccinated after September 9th, via Helsinki or Amsterdam. I usually go with Qatar, but that is out as it is Red listed.

I am very concerned they will move Thailand to the Red list anytime with the current explosion of infections. That would make any flight for me a Non starter.

Quarantine hotels in UK at own expense followed by quarantine in Bangkok when returning from UK, would mean a two week visit turning into nearly six weeks with all the faff and Covid tests at both ends, plus it would be very expensive.

On 8/1/2021 at 9:13 AM, Scouse123 said:

I have been looking to go to the UK, fully vaccinated after September 9th, via Helsinki or Amsterdam. I usually go with Qatar, but that is out as it is Red listed.

I am very concerned they will move Thailand to the Red list anytime with the current explosion of infections. That would make any flight for me a Non starter.

Quarantine hotels in UK at own expense followed by quarantine in Bangkok when returning from UK, would mean a two week visit turning into nearly six weeks with all the faff and Covid tests at both ends, plus it would be very expensive.

UK Govt talk right now is they may be on verge of scrapping all trav restrictions? so keep eye on UK news that was late last ngt early this morning they flip flopping again... My pal as we all nearly do fly via Doha/Dubai/AUD but yse out for now he is a tight a r$ e so KLM x BKK was the best option and he just done the 10 Day Q at his parents Obvs things in LOS have changed slightly since his trip bout 6/7 weeks ago he flew Phuky - Bkk then KLM to Manchester via Amsterdam

• Like 1

I have made a decision which I know will make me happier and relieve anxiety which is better for my mental health and state of mind.

I have cancelled all alerts on travel and airline flight prices and resigned myself to the fact I am going nowhere until Thailand allows fully vaccinated people back in to the country without quarantine if we leave for a break.

In the meantime, I will busy myself with DIY on my houses here. At least its 35C

• Like 1