Options for Returning to Thailand

I am not quite sure what to do with needed travel to the USA, I have been living in Thailand 9 years, I entered Thailand came in on a Non-O visa, I have done yearly extensions in Jomtien since then. My current EOS expires on 14 October 2021. I am now married and have 2 children.

I have some important business to take care of in the USA, I have tickets and plans to return to the USA in September. My plan was to renew my Extension of Stay around 13 September and get a re-entry permit before I left Thailand. I would then return after 4 weeks in the USA, go through the COE/Quarantine process etc. and go home.

The reason I left my USA visit until September was to allow me to renew my Extension of Stay and get a new Re-Entry permit so I would be able to return to Thailand on the same basis that I have now.

With the rising COVID cases in Thailand and the USA and recalling the situation at Suvarnabhumi Airport at the beginning of this COVID mess, I fear there is a possibility that the airport will again be restricted in October when I plan to return to Thailand.

The timing of my visit to the USA in October is flexible, I could go next week if I wanted to.

My question is this If I returned to the USA say in the next 2 weeks, and during my stay in the USA and I was unable to return because the airlines stopped flying to Thailand or whatever, and my Extension of Stay expired, what Immigration entry process should I follow?

My Non-O visa was given for visiting my child. I, therefore, do not need health insurance to keep renewing my EOS. If I could only get a Retirement Visa, I would need to show health Insurance for eternity. I fear that because of my health and age (69, Birthday mid-August, I may not be able to get health insurance that I could afford.

If I was unable to return to the USA, could I re-apply on the basis I have now i.e. visiting my child? Or is there any other route back to Thailand where health insurance is not required?

ubonjoe:  "the only insurance you would need would be the $100,000 covid 19 insurance coverage."

The topic of re-entry for a senior non-O holder of interest to me for possible situation arising in the next several months.

The bi-weekly newspaper 'Pattaya Mail' has a reporter, Barry Kenyon, who has written on this and related topics.

Several months ago, BK said, a non-O visa holder re-entering Thailand on a re-entry permit would have to show proof of a general medical insurance policy of minimum 400,000 baht in-patient and 40,000 baht outpatient, issued by a Thai insurance company.  (Note:  I tried to locate this article, both in hard-copy newspapers and online, and could not find it.)  

In an article "Initial confusion over virus insurance for retirees in Thailand clears a bit", page 19, July 2, 2021 edition, BK said, that this general medical insurance policy has not been made official by the Thai government.   Also, that a policy by a Thai company would not apply to someone who is initially entering Thailand -- at least for a O-A visa holder.  Also, that a person aged 70 years or older being allowed to be self-insured was not official.  But, he did not specifically address re-entry by non-O visa holder, like he did in his previous article.

Note that although an insurance policy issued by a Thai insurance company may not be a rule, each immigration office and each embassy seem to set its own rules.  

Regarding the covid insurance policy, there seems to be agreement that it is required for any type of entry into Thailand (with visa of  any type, Work permit, Elite, re-entry, tourist visa-exempt, etc).  Also, it seems to be difficult for expats in Thailand to acquire it at a reasonable price, especially if a senior person.  But, much cheaper and very easy to acquire if you are outside of Thailand -- by going to:  https://covid19.tgia.org/ and buying it online.

Based on the above info, my suggestions are:

- -  Ask the Immigration Officer, what else is required at this time to re-enter Thailand?  

- -  Ask if there is a special visa for a person who has a Thai child?  What papers do you need to have to prove that you are a parent?

- -  Check  the web site for the Thailand embassy and/or consulate near your US mailing address.  Email them your questions.  Who knows?  IThere might be a new rule for you to obtain the embassy/consulate's written approval to board a flight to Thailand?

- -  Consider asking your airline the same questions.  The airline might mistakenly believe that Thailand required you to show a birth certificate for your offspring, a pre-paid quarantine hotel voucher, or other?

- -  Return on a visa-exempt entry, then go to your local Immigration Office and apply for a non-O visa, or other visa that you may qualify for.

Let us know what happens.  Personally, I would be very interested, due to a similar quandqry.  (No child, I use a condom.)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Grin Grasser said:

Several months ago, BK said, a non-O visa holder re-entering Thailand on a re-entry permit would have to show proof of a general medical insurance policy of minimum 400,000 baht in-patient and 40,000 baht outpatient, issued by a Thai insurance company.  (Note:  I tried to locate this article, both in hard-copy newspapers and online, and could not find it.)  

There was a written requirement at one stage that stated that a Certificate of Entry issued when holding a re-entry permit, from an extension of stay based on retirement only, required the health insurance. However, according to @ubonjoe, some embassies/official consulates do not enforce this. Certainly it should not be needed if the extension of stay linked to the re-entry permit is not for retirement .

On 7/26/2021 at 11:26 PM, BritTim said:

There was a written requirement at one stage that stated that a Certificate of Entry issued when holding a re-entry permit, from an extension of stay based on retirement only, required the health insurance. However, according to @ubonjoe, some embassies/official consulates do not enforce this.   . . .

Thanks.

I believe that you are correct.  I dimly recalled that the Pattaya Mail writer (BK) mentioned non-O and retirement.  I should have kept that news article he wrote.

Do you have any other info about that written requirement, such as url?

Also, is there a Thai form that could/should be signed by an insurance company to provide me written proof of health insurance?  I like to email the form to my USA insurance company so that it knows exactly what is needed.

Thanks in advance.

2 hours ago, Grin Grasser said:

Thanks.

I believe that you are correct.  I dimly recalled that the Pattaya Mail writer (BK) mentioned non-O and retirement.  I should have kept that news article he wrote.

Do you have any other info about that written requirement, such as url?

Also, is there a Thai form that could/should be signed by an insurance company to provide me written proof of health insurance?  I like to email the form to my USA insurance company so that it knows exactly what is needed.

Thanks in advance.

Hopefully, @ubonjoe can advise. Any answer I give is likely to be outdated.

10 hours ago, Grin Grasser said:

That news article had a lot of incorrect and mils leading info in it after the cabinet approved in principle a resolution to require covid insurance of OA visas and extensions of the entry for one. The changes have not been approved yet and is still under consideration.

The only insurance that will be required to get a certificate of entry is the covid 19 insurance.

12 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

That news article had a lot of incorrect and mils leading info in it after the cabinet approved in principle a resolution to require covid insurance of OA visas and extensions of the entry for one. The changes have not been approved yet and is still under consideration.

The only insurance that will be required to get a certificate of entry is the covid 19 insurance.

As regards the Covid 19 insurance is the requirement for medical insurance that also covers Covid or simply to cover medical expenses related to the virus? 

I returned to the UK at the end of September last year and I've been waiting to see if the Covid situation might improve and possibly the quarantine requirements become less but apart from the Phuket sandbox which which has pros and cons things seem to be getting worse so I'll have to decide between Phuket and Bangkok. My wife is a civil government employee so I get medical cover through her but I don't think that covers covid even though it does for her. She's going to try to find out. This has come up before and someone (might have been Sheryl) said it wouldn't cover Covid for me.

I don't really want to pay for medical insurance that would overlap with what I already have although it's quite possible that specific Covid cover wouldn't cost much less. 

17 minutes ago, kimamey said:

As regards the Covid 19 insurance is the requirement for medical insurance that also covers Covid or simply to cover medical expenses related to the virus? 

I returned to the UK at the end of September last year and I've been waiting to see if the Covid situation might improve and possibly the quarantine requirements become less but apart from the Phuket sandbox which which has pros and cons things seem to be getting worse so I'll have to decide between Phuket and Bangkok. My wife is a civil government employee so I get medical cover through her but I don't think that covers covid even though it does for her. She's going to try to find out. This has come up before and someone (might have been Sheryl) said it wouldn't cover Covid for me.

I don't really want to pay for medical insurance that would overlap with what I already have although it's quite possible that specific Covid cover wouldn't cost much less. 

It is not that the Civil Service scheme will not cover COVID (it will) but that enrollment in S or CS SS is not accroted for entry. You have to show proof of orivate ibsurance. 

It can be a COVID only policy or a general health policy that includes COVID. (You'll meed a written statememt to that effect).

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

It is not that the Civil Service scheme will not cover COVID (it will) but that enrollment in S or CS SS is not accroted for entry. You have to show proof of orivate ibsurance. 

It can be a COVID only policy or a general health policy that includes COVID. (You'll meed a written statememt to that effect).

Thanks. That's what I thought might be the case but I didn't put it all that well. A Covid only policy might be an option, I'll be looking at this more closely but I wouldn't be surprised if there's not much difference in price since most people would use a general policy extended to cover Covid or made specific in writing if that was already covered. 

It would seem that I would need cover for the length of my visa which I'm assuming will be 90 days. If I extend that then I may not need it as I won't be entering the country.

On 7/25/2021 at 2:32 AM, ubonjoe said:

you could get a single entry non-o visa based upon being the parent of Thai or being married to one. In that case you would only need covid 19 insurance valid for 90 days.

Excuse me for going slightly off topic but if you enter on a single entry non O ( based on marriage )

- you get 90 days on arrival?

- can you convert to a one year extension of stay?

- if yes for above, how long does this process take?

- if cannot get one year extension of stay and it's only 60 day extensions, how many times can you do this?

Thanks.

7 hours ago, HashBrownHarry said:

Excuse me for going slightly off topic but if you enter on a single entry non O ( based on marriage )

You would get a 90 day permit to stay that can be extended for one year during the last 30 days of  it.

When you apply for the one year exteins you are given under consideration stamp with a report back date 30 days later or at some office 30 days from when you current permit to stay ends. 

To apply for the extension you will need 400k baht in a Thai bank in your name only for 2 months on the day you apply. Or proof of 40k baht income.

At this time you can apply the 60 day covid 19 extension more than one time. There is no limit but the order for them could end at some time. At his time it ends on September 27th but tt will likely be extended again.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

You would get a 90 day permit to stay that can be extended for one year during the last 30 days of  it.

When you apply for the one year exteins you are given under consideration stamp with a report back date 30 days later or at some office 30 days from when you current permit to stay ends. 

To apply for the extension you will need 400k baht in a Thai bank in your name only for 2 months on the day you apply. Or proof of 40k baht income.

At this time you can apply the 60 day covid 19 extension more than one time. There is no limit but the order for them could end at some time. At his time it ends on September 27th but tt will likely be extended again.

Thank you, can you leave the country while 'under consideration'?

3 minutes ago, HashBrownHarry said:

In normal times, this can occasionally be feasible, and a re-entry permit is as valid as it always is. Right now, although it may be possible in theory, it is really difficult to construct a realistic scenario where it would make sense. (I assume your question is not whether you can abandon attempts to stay longer in Thailand and just leave: no problem doing that.)

5 minutes ago, HashBrownHarry said:

You would need a re-entry permit for the under consideration period that would expire on the report back date on the stamp.

6 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You would need a re-entry permit for the under consideration period that would expire on the report back date on the stamp.

Can i report back late, eg submit all paperwork then leave the country ( with re-entry permit ) for say 2 months and then return, is this possible?

7 minutes ago, HashBrownHarry said:

Can i report back late, eg submit all paperwork then leave the country ( with re-entry permit ) for say 2 months and then return, is this possible?

You have to be here by the report date or your extension application will be canceled.

Edit: If need to make a trip out of the country it might be best to apply for a 60 day extension to visit your wife and apply for a re-entry permit and then apply for the one year extension after your return.

Edited by ubonjoe

12 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You have to be here by the report date or your extension application will be canceled.

Edit: If need to make a trip out of the country it might be best to apply for a 60 day extension to visit your wife and apply for a re-entry permit and then apply for the one year extension after your return.

So on a 60 day extension i can leave and enter as i wish ( so long as i have a re-entry permit )?

What documents are required for a 60 day extension and how long does that take to process?

Thx

5 minutes ago, HashBrownHarry said:

So on a 60 day extension i can leave and enter as i wish ( so long as i have a re-entry permit )?

Yes you can. Just be sure you return soon enough to apply for the extension after your return.

6 minutes ago, HashBrownHarry said:

What documents are required for a 60 day extension and how long does that take to process?

You will need a copy of your passport photo page, visa, entry stamp and TM6 departure card. Copies of you marriage certificate, your wifes ID card and house book registry. Your wife will have to be with when you apply.

It is approved on the day you apply.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

Yes you can. Just be sure you return soon enough to apply for the extension after your return.

You will need a copy of your passport photo page, visa, entry stamp and TM6 departure card. Copies of you marriage certificate, your wifes ID card and house book registry. Your wife will have to be with when you apply.

It is approved on the day you apply.

thanks

I have a question regarding a similar/but different case.

I have been/and am residing in Thailand and married to a Thai woman, and we have a child. I have been on a 'B non-imm' (stamped Thai Wife) visa for many years, which I will renew once again on Sept. 22, 2021.

By Oct. 20th 2021 I will have also received my 2nd jab of AZ vaccine via Phyathai2 Hospital, and plan to depart for the US for 7 days in mid November.

With a re-entry permit, what does reentry entail:

• Will I need to purchase covid-19 insurance?
  • Will I need to quarantine for 14 days in an authorized hotel?
  • Is there anything else I will need to re-enter Thailand?

Thanking you in advance

You will need to have covid 19 insurance valid to the end of your current extension stay (it is not a visa) that the re-entry permit will allow. If you have insurance from your job that will cover covid 19 treatment up to 3.3 million baht that could be used to get a certificate of entry.

At this time you would have to go into the 14 day quarantine. It is hard to predict what will be needed in November.