Work Permit - First Ever

2 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

You have to work for a company and that company will know what to do. You need lots of documents and if all documents are correct then it's no problem to get work permit and business visa. 

He does not need to leave the country to get a visa. He has a extension of stay based upon marriage and can apply for work permit with that extension.

12 minutes ago, Shannoblic said:

I am on a yearly extension [married to a Thai].

2 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

He does not need to leave the country to get a visa. He has a extension of stay based upon marriage and can apply for work permit with that extension.

If you don't mind maybe you can elaborate this a little.

Can someone get a work permit without business visa and/or without company?

1 minute ago, OneMoreFarang said:

He still needs an employer, but no need for a "business" visa, if he's married to a Thai he can get a WP on his marriage extension. Very handy as the extension doesn't end if his employment does unlike an extension based on employment.

3 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

He can apply work permit with a non-o visa or a extension of stay based upon marriage to a Thai if he is working for a company or partnership or a sole proprietorship owned by his wife.

Thank you gentlemen.

Basically - there is a job offer in the offing from a Thai company.  It would be employment on an annual contract basis [renewable].

There would be a formal contract etc.  I have no idea about the Work Permit process and was looking for advice on what it required.  My current extension is until March next year and nothing has changed which will affect that [I don't think].  It is just to give me some idea of the process involved in obtaining a work permit once [and if] the position goes ahead.

9 minutes ago, Shannoblic said:

Thank you gentlemen.

Basically - there is a job offer in the offing from a Thai company.  It would be employment on an annual contract basis [renewable].

There would be a formal contract etc.  I have no idea about the Work Permit process and was looking for advice on what it required.  My current extension is until March next year and nothing has changed which will affect that [I don't think].  It is just to give me some idea of the process involved in obtaining a work permit once [and if] the position goes ahead.

It seems a very important point is that you will actually get a work permit.

It seems many companies promise a work permit but once you started working they forget that promise.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Shannoblic said:

Does the company have prior experience with employing foreigners? If so, they should understand the process. It is up to them to provide the necessary paperwork and apply to the Labour Department. If you are the first foreigner they have employed, see if they are willing to pay for a lawyer to facilitate the work permit application. It is not super complicated, but a lawyer with experience of the process can make things go more smoothly and faster.

23 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Are you working for a Thailand registered company or partnership with a registered capital of at least 2 million baht and 4 Thai employees?

To be technically correct you could also say.... Or is your wife paying tax as an 'Individual' (ie personal tax) and applying for a WP that way'. This is possible as I have just done it. We do not have a company structure with our business. 

23 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

You have to work for a company and that company will know what to do. You need lots of documents and if all documents are correct then it's no problem to get work permit and business visa. 

Further point, Thailand does not have, or issue 'personal' work permits. As above you must be employed on a proper contract of employment by a Thai registered company.

Also, there's an official list of trades/jobs/professions which are totally reserved for Thai citizens only.

• Like 1

You're incorrect. We do not have a company structure at all. My wife pays tax as an individual every 6 months and I successfully got a WP. I know of a few other cases of westerners with restaurants who did it this way. In their cases, they just added their names to the wifes license. 

2 minutes ago, scorecard said:

employed on a proper contract of employment by a Thai registered company.

Incorrect. Your statement is incomplete. You should add ' or one can have a 'proper' contract with the wife. Just download a template from the internet. My wife and I do not have a company and I got a WP

Edited by bbabythai

4 minutes ago, bbabythai said:

To be technically correct you could also say.... Or is your wife paying tax as an 'Individual' (ie personal tax) and applying for a WP that way'.

I did post that in a later post as a sole proprietorship.

23 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

He can apply work permit with a non-o visa or a extension of stay based upon marriage to a Thai if he is working for a company or partnership or a sole proprietorship owned by his wife.

• Like 1

Yes, read other comments I made. If you wife doesnt have a company and just pays personal tax, you can add your name to the license for the business and then apply for a WP