Friday at Bang Sue Station

Guest Miguel Delrio

Guest Miguel Delrio

Here is a brief account of our experience on Friday when we drove up to the Bang Sue Station venue for the over 75 foreigner Covid vaccination. To begin with there were no checkpoints at all between Cha Am and the venue. We left around 8:00 and arrived around 11:00. When we arrived at the site, we saw a lot of people hanging about. The place was certainly busy and crowded but not as bad as the TV reports had led us to believe. We headed for gate #2 as directed and after showing my passport, we were admitted to the registration area. Indoors, no lines, plenty of chairs, no wheelchairs. The entire process from registration proceeded smoothly and we were finished by noon including the 30 minute required waiting period. Interestingly, they agreed to also vaccinate my under 50 spouse. Throughout our brief time there the people were attentive, friendly, well prepared and professional. We were VERY impressed and very happy with the entire experience. On the drive back down to Cha Am, we encountered two checkpoints. At the first, on the border between Samut Sakon and Samut Songkram there was only one officer checking his mobile phone. No stop. At the second, there were two officers in the road near the truck weighing station waving traffic through. Again, no stop. We were certainly glad we went and count ourselves lucky to have had such a positive adventure!

Edited by Miguel Delrio
added info

And the second dose? Scheduled? When? Where?

The Department of Consular Affairs is driving this effort.

The Consular Affairs Department has asked foreign residents aged 60 and over to register for Covid-19 vaccination quickly because authorities will move on to other groups soon.

I think last call is today.

Yes, over 75 walk in, 60 - 74 register.

E7G3eTwUYAUcDWt.jpg

E7G3evMVUAIqBrP.jpg

Edited by mtls2005

Guest Miguel Delrio
6 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

And the second dose? Scheduled? When? Where?

October 2nd. Same time and place. I have to add that we did NOT register ahead as required for 60+ age group and our vaccinations had nothing to do with any Consular Affairs office. . .not that I could see anywhere in any of the paperwork or info provided including our certificates. Seems to be ( have been) purely a Thai health Dept initiative.

Edited by Miguel Delrio
added info

Guest Miguel Delrio
9 minutes ago, internationalism said:

that's the picture from Friday, Bang Sue, by khaosod english.

Lucky you were not to experience this. Or did you?

212339790_4527348830617347_8412066940103313626_n.jpg

We saw this on live TV when we stopped for breakfast and we actually turned around and headed back! But regained our senses and did another U turn. I think the photo was cropped and set to show maximum crowding. . .maybe a different day altogether. We saw NOTHING like this. Perhaps we just picked the right time ( 11:00 AM) We had trouble finding a parking place but behind a much smaller crowd  than shown here there was plenty of space to walk freely and comfortably and safely. If the clock is correct this was in the afternoon?

Edited by Miguel Delrio
added info

Guest Miguel Delrio

We are taking this one jab at a time. See what the world is like by October. We have QR codes and fancy certificates.

Edited by Miguel Delrio

1 hour ago, Miguel Delrio said:

We are taking this one jab at a time. See what the world is like by October. We have QR codes and fancy certificates.

The bigger the gap between AstraZeneca doses, the stronger the immune response, so 10 weeks seems like a good choice. Also AstraZeneca provides 87% protection against hospitalisation from the Delta variant 3 weeks after the first dose according to the latest research from Canada.

Edited by edwardandtubs

1 hour ago, Miguel Delrio said:

We have QR codes and fancy certificates.

This is awesome.

But you need the government to have the vaccine, in x weeks.

They should unless they decide it is better to give more people one dose to get the max coverage to the most people. 87% for 2x is probably better than 100% for 1x?

The pm got the first dose ever for any Thai ~ 16 March, and his second does 25 May, so 10 weeks. Good enough for him, good enough for everyone.

Seems like there's research supporting whatever interval one happens to come up with. Anything from 4 weeks to 10 months...and a third dose is super peachy.

COVID-19 vaccines: 10-month interval between AstraZeneca doses improves immune response — study

https://www.euronews.com/2021/06/28/covid-19-vaccines-10-month-interval-between-astrazeneca-doses-improves-immune-response-stu

2 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

Hmm. 10 weeks.

was 8, then 12 then 8, now 10. Maybe this is based on expected shipments, and might be pulled in?

Just got my shot an hour ago at Bang Sue. The interval for me is 12 weeks which is exactly what Astra Zeneca's research has shown as Max protection in their UK study.

Strange that it varies

Guest Miguel Delrio

An addendum that may interest everyone. . . and something that surprised me. I had previously ( about a month ago) registered with Hua hin Hospital and received a registration number and then a queue number. I got into the habit of checking every day. Although nothing has changed and my registration number still works, it now tells me that I have to register. I was wondering how to cancel my HHH appointment and delighted to discover that the system apparently took care of it.

Guest Miguel Delrio

Turns out I was wrong. Question. How would I cancel my HHH appointment now that I have received my first shot already? Or should I just let it go and not show up?

Crowds looked pretty massive today. Very little social distancing.

Many rumblings about people contracting COVID at these mass events at Bang Sue.

Bang Sue vaccinations will continue but for pre-registered people only, government says

The government has no plans to close down Bang Sue Grand Station’s vaccination center, but a preregistration-only process is being launched for the next round of vaccination, the government said this week.

“We are looking to fix the queuing problem and the Bang Sue center is a public service center, so any improvements must not affect the services that the people are already getting,” said Ratchada Dhnadirek, the deputy government spokeswoman.

“The government has never talked about closing the center down at any meeting, only talks on how to improve it,” she told Thai Enquirer.

https://www.thaienquirer.com/30462/bang-sue-vaccinations-will-continue-but-for-pre-registered-people-only-government-says/

4NGEucQU.jpg

Guest Miguel Delrio

Just shows how lucky we were not to have encountered anything like this when we went last Friday. Too early to worry yet but we hope for the same luck when we return in October for the second jab.