Phuket COVID cases hit 114 for past week, one more death

webfact

1627354007_1-org.jpg

Image: PPHO

By The Phuket News

PHUKET: Local health officials reported 23 more local infections across the island yesterday (July 26), bringing the total number of infections on the island since Apr 3 to 958 ‒ and the total number of local infections in the past seven days to 114.

The Phuket Provincial Public Health Office (PPHO) daily COVID situation report for yesterday also marked one new death attributed to COVID-19, the second COVID death marked in two days. So far 11 people in Phuket have died from COVID-19 since Apr 3.

No details have been provided about the two deaths marked in the daily reports for yesterday or Sunday (July 25).

Full story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-covid-cases-hit-114-for-past-week-one-more-death-80832.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2021-07-27

4 hours ago, Mickeymaus said:

114 - 90 = 24 more than allowed. What will happen now? 

"Phuket Governor Narong Woonciew said yesterday (Monday) the increase of new infections to 28 cases yesterday, ... does not mean that the scheme will be cancelled. Daily local infections in the province remained single digits for some time before increasing to two digits from July 22nd.

The Phuket Provincial Communicable Disease Committee has decided to close down the island’s Central Festival and Central Floresta malls, the provincial sports stadium, soccer fields and futsal courts until August 2nd, as a precautionary step to contain further spread of COVID-19."

• Like 1

Just now, Mickeymaus said:

I guess it is too expensive for them to cancel the scheme. Not sure why they came up with this number 90. To calm down the local population? Or to calm down the tourists? Or to show how confident they are that there will be no problems with the sandbox? Or is the 90 forgotten already anyway? 

In fact, what they initially said was "The program would be reconsidered if 90 weekly cases are reached".

It seems that they have reconsidered and decided to continue.

They can not lose face about this: too many people involved, from the PM down.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, unblocktheplanet said:

I thought media announced if Covid+ in Phuket hit 13/day, the Sandbox would be shut. No?

Would be "reconsidered".  That was the trick to not being forced into anything.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, webfact said:

The Phuket Provincial Public Health Office (PPHO) daily COVID situation report for yesterday also marked one new death attributed to COVID-19, the second COVID death marked in two days. So far 11 people in Phuket have died from COVID-19 since Apr 3

Might put a dampener to people wishing to have a nice relaxing stay on the island.

I wonder if anyone has done a comparison with the national statistics for infection and death and the Phuket statistics for infection and death. Is Phuket proportionally less than the national tally using percentages of the population?

“If the situation meets all five criteria, we will start enforcing strict measures respectively as follows:

1. allowing them to travel only in the sealed routes;

2. cancelling the sealed routes and allowing them to stay only in hotel areas;

3. Allowing them to stay only in their rooms; and

4. Cancelling the sandbox scheme.”

I already see long lines of tourists rushing into Phuket

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RobU said:

I wonder if anyone has done a comparison with the national statistics for infection and death and the Phuket statistics for infection

According to Wikipedia, the Thai population in Phuket in 2019 was 416,582. Given their total Covid-19 cases of 954, this equates to an infection rate per 100,000 Thai people of 229.

From my figures, and I may be wrong, this puts them at 42nd out of 77 Provinces (plus the Prisons).

This does not include migrant workers, illegal workers or farangs. However, the Provincial Covid case figures does include those people I believe. Also, is there any under-reporting?

I think the top 10 are -

Prisons; Samut Sakhon; Samut Prakan; Bangkok; Phetchaburi; Nonthaburi; Pathum Thani; Chonburi; Chachoengsao; Yala

As I said, I may be wrong, but it will give you a rough idea about the case rates. I have not kept any figures on death rates by Province, so I can't help you

there.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Lapun said:

According to Wikipedia, the Thai population in Phuket in 2019 was 416,582. Given their total Covid-19 cases of 954, this equates to an infection rate per 100,000 Thai people of 229.

From my figures, and I may be wrong, this puts them at 42nd out of 77 Provinces (plus the Prisons).

This does not include migrant workers, illegal workers or farangs. However, the Provincial Covid case figures does include those people I believe. Also, is there any under-reporting?

I think the top 10 are -

Prisons; Samut Sakhon; Samut Prakan; Bangkok; Phetchaburi; Nonthaburi; Pathum Thani; Chonburi; Chachoengsao; Yala

As I said, I may be wrong, but it will give you a rough idea about the case rates. I have not kept any figures on death rates by Province, so I can't help you

there.

Thankyou Lapun