I lose my hotspot during phone calls.

grain

I have a Redmi Note 10 smartphone, it's dual sim, I have 2 DTAC sims in it. Sim 1 is for calls only, Sim 2 is one I bought from Lazada and is 12 month unlimited data. I don't have any credit on Sim 2 and have never used it for calls, it's there for internet only.

I use my smartphone as a wifi hotspot, and both my laptop and smart TV connect to it, everything works well.

But when I get a phone call (on Sim 1) I lose internet and can't go online with my laptop or watch the smart TV while the call is happening. As soon as the call is over everything goes back to normal.

So what's going on, and is there anything I can do in settings to stop losing the internet during calls?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, grain said:

I don't have any credit on Sim 2 and have never used it for calls, it's there for internet only.

On many phones, the best reception for data would be SIM1 location. Try switching the SIMs and make sure you specify Data for SIm1 and Calls for Sim2. Also even on many unlimited data packages (I use AIS for example) there is a built in 30 minutes per month calling even if you have zero credit on that Sim.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, tonray said:

On many phones, the best reception for data would be SIM1 location. Try switching the SIMs and make sure you specify Data for SIm1 and Calls for Sim2. Also even on many unlimited data packages (I use AIS for example) there is a built in 30 minutes per month calling even if you have zero credit on that Sim.

Ok thanks for that, I'll try it soon. Also it could be due to I had VoLTE set on, and that may have some effect on the 2nd sim. It doesn't matter to me about using the data sim for calls, I think it comes with free calls dtac to dtac but I never make calls, other than phone my wife in Lotus to ask her where the bloody hell she is....lol. All my communication is done via internet apps these days.

• Like 1

yes its possinble on a doub;le SIM phone; that one SIM location is dual purpose (concurrent HotSpot/WiFi/Calls); whereas the other SIM Location is Fixed for only One Comms Function at any one time. 

I encountered this on one of my Nokias, that had a LOS chip in one Slot, and my original OZ Sim in the other for maintaining International connectivity. Swapping them around allowed the HotSpot to operate concurrently.

It all therefore seems to depend on the phone models particular SimSlot architecture?  

• Like 2

I think that, with VoLTE enabled on the data-only SIM, that, by design, the mobile data connection drops from 4G/LTE to 3G (and the data connection is lost), while the phone handles the voice call over 4G/LTE. You may be able to disable/turn-off VoLTE, either from within the phone's UI, or with some keyboard commands.

Do you see a "VoLTE" indication on the top-most notification area?

Go into Settings, search for VoLTE. In some of my phones its a radio button.

Or search the Redmi forums.