Is There a post listing what a prospective visa applicant must do to visit Thailand, please

There is no list since it depends upon the type of visa you will be applying for at embassy or consulate and it can vary from one to another.

The only visas that can be applied for at immigration here are non immigrant visas for specific reasons.

I'm applying for non-imm O (married) and the e-visa is the first step, correct? Why, then, would they ask for flight no.? I obviously don't know exact dates yet either, but I assume they just want something approximate for that, but what did you put for flight no.? Thanks!

Also, I was assuming I'd get a one-way flight and that'd be ok, but is that not the case? I intend to get the visa extension (first time) after opening a Thai bank account and putting 400k in there. I've spent almost half of my life in Thailand and all this stuff always still renders me utterly confused.

Edited by fauxie
additional info added

28 minutes ago, fauxie said:

I'm applying for non-imm O (married) and the e-visa is the first step, correct? Why, then, would they ask for flight no.? I obviously don't know exact dates yet either, but I assume they just want something approximate for that, but what did you put for flight no.? Thanks!

Also, I was assuming I'd get a one-way flight and that'd be ok, but is that not the case? I intend to get the visa extension (first time) after opening a Thai bank account and putting 400k in there. I've spent almost half of my life in Thailand and all this stuff always still renders me utterly confused.

I have always considered the flight requirement when applying for a Non O visa to be ridiculous. However, many embassies and consulates do enforce it and, when they do, you need to book a flight before applying for the visa.

2 minutes ago, BritTim said:

I have always considered the flight requirement when applying for a Non O visa to be ridiculous. However, many embassies and consulates do enforce it and, when they do, you need to book a flight before applying for the visa.

Cheers for the reply. It never even crossed my mind before, having multi-entry Os, but I guess with the single entry it's more of an issue? Isn't it just because of the current situation? I've never done anything other than get my O multi-entry visa and then book a one-way flight afterwards.

So I am wrong about the order I'm going about this then? Do I get the CoE (and therefore flight, hotel) before using the E-visa site and getting the visa? I'm stressed and I've not even really started. I did pretty much pack my bags months in advance though lol

Just done all of this get your visa first don't add any flight number be prepared for all manner of extra documents you will need your visa number when returned to do a 90 day stay one way COE as I said this took 26 days so look at coming late next month if I were you ????

• Like 1

8 hours ago, sammieuk1 said:

Just done all of this get your visa first don't add any flight number be prepared for all manner of extra documents you will need your visa number when returned to do a 90 day stay one way COE as I said this took 26 days so look at coming late next month if I were you ????

Thanks. I'll get back into it today then, starting with the e-visa. That's reassuring, even if it's taking a while. Can dates be left blank or did you put approx. dates? Incredibly (though maybe not in these effed up times), I got sent a jury service summons the other day. Right now, really? Anyway, I've asked for excusal and I'll aim to return to Thailand around early to mid-September. Did you need a signed invitation letter?

13 minutes ago, fauxie said:

Thanks. I'll get back into it today then, starting with the e-visa. That's reassuring, even if it's taking a while. Can dates be left blank or did you put approx. dates? Incredibly (though maybe not in these effed up times), I got sent a jury service summons the other day. Right now, really? Anyway, I've asked for excusal and I'll aim to return to Thailand around early to mid-September. Did you need a signed invitation letter?

Did not put anything in flight number yes they ask for invitation letter just got my Mrs to write down I invite my husband back to our own house put her id card next to it and took a photo then sent it to me and attach to visa application. Just don't forget you are on the 90 visa clock as soon as its issued ???? 

2 minutes ago, sammieuk1 said:

Did not put anything in flight number yes they ask for invitation letter just got my Mrs to write down I invite my husband back to our own house put her id card next to it and took a photo then sent it to me and attach to visa application. Just don't forget you are on the 90 visa clock as soon as its issued ???? 

Thanks. Good stuff. That's 90 days in which to enter, correct? Then you've 90 days on the visa from then (plus 60 day extension if need be)? I plan to get 400k in a Thai bank account and then apply for the visa extension pretty sharpish upon my return.

That's good about the invite. I typed up a letter and emailed it to my wife. She sent hard copies of stuff a while back and forgot to send the signed letter then, so just did that, but I'd told her to wait precisely because I thought it could just be done the way you said and save a lot of time! I'll get her on that today.

13 hours ago, sammieuk1 said:

You get 90 days from the date of issue mine was the 15th don't get to the sandbox until the 5th so 21 days of my visa used before getting there but no other way as you have the COE next ????

Really? The clock starts once you enter the country, no? 'Valid until' is the last date you can use your visa to enter Thailand, not last day of stay in Thailand, to paraphrase the immigration text. Same for single entry as with multiple (when they still issued it).

Other thing, now that I'm back in, is that dates of arrival and departure and flight no. are compulsory fields, yet you said you didn't put anything for that? Am I losing the plot here?

@ubonjoe you're typically the voice of reason. Am I missing something?

Edited by fauxie
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, sammieuk1 said:

I have already answered up to you who listen to or what you do next when you get your visa back it has a start date of issue on it  end of story ???? 

Interestingly a Thai visa is not the same as, for example, a UK visa.  In the case of a UK visa the expiry date is the date by which you must leave the country.  In the case of a Thai visa however the expiry/use by/enter before date is the last day you can enter.  When you do so you will get your full 90 day entry/permission to stay.  You will not lose your 21 days.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, sammieuk1 said:

I have already answered up to you who listen to or what you do next when you get your visa back it has a start date of issue on it  end of story ???? 

I do appreciate you responding. Thanks! Just trying to get everything clear.

2 hours ago, sammieuk1 said:

We may be misunderstanding your post, or you may be misunderstanding the replies. The fact is that there are two distinct 90-day periods associated with the visa:

1. You have 90 days from when the visa is issued within which you may enter the country; and (completely separate)
  2. You receive a 90-day permission to stay starting from the day you enter the country.

As I stated above, maybe we are misunderstanding you, but you seem to be disputing the accuracy of the above.

• Like 1