Buying Amlodipine blood pressure medication over the counter in Bangkok

Should be, I get each of these at the lowest level from my local pharm then cut them in 1/2 and take 1x a day.  Have been doing this for 2 years and blood pressure completely dialed in to 120/80 or better with no discernible side effects.  Here are the amounts I take:

telmisartan (20 milligrams), amlodipine (2.5 milligrams), and chlorthalidone (12.5 milligrams)

Why this is not already in a single pill form surprises me given the results and write ups it got a few years back.  Not enough profit probably ????

Costs about $.45 a day.  Here is one of the articles:

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/322781

You should consult your Dr if considering this and see your physician (and thank medical science) for an erection lasting more than 4 hrs ????

Edited by DrPhibes
content
  • Like 2

• 8 months later...

A year or so ago my cardiologist said he and some of his cardiologist friends at the big government hospital in CM thought that the generic Thai-produced amlodipine had some quality problems and wasn't as effective at blood pressure control as the Pfizer brand Norvasc.  I need to see him soon, so I'll ask if that's still the case because there is a big difference in price, but not as high as what OzMan reports.  

A friend who is a retired U.S. doctor said he was also noticing problems in BP control with the Thai-produced generic amlodipine, but rather than switch to Norvasc, he simply switched to another generic drug in the same category.  But, he's a doctor and has an idea of what med he could substitute and still save money.

On 7/27/2021 at 4:46 PM, DrPhibes said:

Should be, I get each of these at the lowest level from my local pharm then cut them in 1/2 and take 1x a day.  Have been doing this for 2 years and blood pressure completely dialed in to 120/80 or better with no discernible side effects.  Here are the amounts I take:

telmisartan (20 milligrams), amlodipine (2.5 milligrams), and chlorthalidone (12.5 milligrams)

Why this is not already in a single pill form surprises me given the results and write ups it got a few years back.  Not enough profit probably ????

Costs about $.45 a day.  Here is one of the articles:

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/322781

You should consult your Dr if considering this and see your physician (and thank medical science) for an erection lasting more than 4 hrs ????

Hi Doctor. Do you mean that you take HALF of a 20mg Micardis ie 10mg, as the recommended dose is 40mg or even 80mg. And half of a 2.5 mg Amlodepine? Thanks.

Just bought Micardis @ Bht 650 for 30 x 40mg. Is that good or not.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/9/2022 at 9:02 PM, KannikaP said:

Hi Doctor. Do you mean that you take HALF of a 20mg Micardis ie 10mg, as the recommended dose is 40mg or even 80mg. And half of a 2.5 mg Amlodepine? Thanks.

Just bought Micardis @ Bht 650 for 30 x 40mg. Is that good or not.

Amounts quoted as taking are already the 1/2 cut pills dosage.  Original pills dosages before cutting are 40mg Micardis, 5mg Amlodepine, and 25mg Chlorthalidone.  Don't have each medicine broken out as I buy the 3 medicines together and get 1 total.  When I worked out the 45 cents USD per day the baht was 30 to 1 USD given the number of dosages I purchased (about 1 yrs worth in 1 shot).  Overseas right now so don't have access to the purchase slip.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, rott said:

Do many people take only Amlodipine.?

Are the other 2 not necessary.? 

Amlodopine can be used alone or in combination with other medications.

There are some preparations that combine amlodopine with another antihypertensive in a single pill (I can't offhand think of any that combine it with two other meds, though).

However, as the combination pills are imported and expensive it will usually be cheaper for someone prescribed them to buy the 2 component medications separately in generic form.

• Thanks 1

Just been to a pharmacy here in the Nakhon

1 box (100) amlopine 5 mg  165.00 baht

1 box (100) zimva (statin) 10 mg 75.00 baht.

I do not understand the low price on the statins it's always been about 250 in the past. 

26 minutes ago, rott said:

Just been to a pharmacy here in the Nakhon

1 box (100) amlopine 5 mg  165.00 baht

1 box (100) zimva (statin) 10 mg 75.00 baht.

I do not understand the low price on the statins it's always been about 250 in the past. 

The lowest price I have seen for Zimva is 140 baht for a box of 20 mg. I have never priced the 10mg but they would be less.

It is unusual to take only 10 mg.

• 1 year later...
On 5/12/2022 at 11:50 AM, Sheryl said:

The lowest price I have seen for Zimva is 140 baht for a box of 20 mg. I have never priced the 10mg but they would be less.

It is unusual to take only 10 mg.

I have has to pay 920 Baht for 10 Amlodipine 5mg at BKK9 Hospital as ALL my local Pharmacies (5)  (Inc BOOTS) "No have". I am in Chom Thong Area of Bangkok. Any Idea where I can buy please? 

Never go to Boots or Watsons for pharmaceuticals.

Literally every Thai pharmacy (real pharmacy) has this. Have you shown them the name written down? Sometimes pronunciation is the issue.

https://www.google.com/maps/search/pharmacies/@13.7083068,100.4699265,14z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m7!2m6!3m5!2sChom+Thong,+Bangkok+10150!3s0x30e2a29dd5f632cf:0x40100b25de28f50!4m2!1d100.4705682!2d13.6943487?entry=ttu

Above shows just a partial listing of pharmacies in your area.

If that fails, opposite Siriraj Hospital there is a Fascino's as well as severkl other large pharmacies nearby. Guaranteed they have it.

On 10/3/2023 at 2:02 PM, Al BB said:

I have has to pay 920 Baht for 10 Amlodipine 5mg at BKK9 Hospital as ALL my local Pharmacies (5)  (Inc BOOTS) "No have". I am in Chom Thong Area of Bangkok. Any Idea where I can buy please? 

I buy my Amlodipine now at Chula Pharmacy, opposite Chulalongkorn Hospital on Rama IV. 100 x 5mg tablets for 180thb

On 10/7/2023 at 2:48 PM, BillStrangeOgre said:

I buy my Amlodipine now at Chula Pharmacy, opposite Chulalongkorn Hospital on Rama IV. 100 x 5mg tablets for 180thb

Thanks Bill, will give them a call. Regards