Chiang Mai School Refunds due to Covid and schooling from home

stament

Just curious as to whether any schools in Chiang Mai have given refunds either last year or this year (2020 or 2021).   Our school hasn't offered us a refund yet but I've heard unconfirmed stories that other schools have.

As a minimum I would have expected lunch money to be refunded and activities that haven't taken place.  I am also aware that some schools charge monthly fees for aircon which isn't being used when students are being schooled online.

I also read that the Government has instructed Government schools and Universities to refund fees with up to 50% for Government universities according to The Bangkok Post.

Just now, Dante99 said:

They have not been large.

No, it's a money making business in private schools so they won't like refunding money especially when a lot of schools have seen students leaving.  I think we will take our youngest out of school as KG1 is a waste of time online IMHO.  Prefer to teach them myself in my own time rather than 1hr 30m per day online schooling.

• Like 1

Last year there was a small 2-2.5K? refund at Lanna Sarasas during the semester....

This year - different school & nothing offered....

Our other daughter at Maejo Uni hasn't reported any changes....

3 minutes ago, pgrahmm said:

Last year there was a small 2-2.5K? refund at Lanna Sarasas during the semester....

This year - different school & nothing offered....

Our other daughter at Maejo Uni hasn't reported any changes....

Maybe you might get a nice University refund based on the BKK Post article I read. ????

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Yorkshire Tea said:

It's probably "every man for himself" regards refunds.  Private schools won't voluntarily give refunds.  You have to ask ????

Same with school fees.  You thinks everyone pays the same...

I'm guessing it is...........  In Thailand, no not everyone pays the same.

at least one international school refunded or lowered the following term's tuition both last year and

this year.  I was surprised to get any at all and pleasantly surprised at the amounts.  No complaints 

from me about this school as they were/are well prepared for online learning in at least the higher

grades. Don't know about the lower grades and child seems to be doing well with their methods.

• Like 1

NIS gave 15% rebate on tuition for that portion of the 2020-21 school year subject to online classes (~6-7 weeks in the second semester).  Worked out to 7700baht for elementary students with the rebate applied against the upcoming 2021-22 school year. There was no increase in the tuition fees this year.  Online classes were limited to two 45-minute classes per day for English and Math plus weekly assignments for art and music.  

NIS has postponed the back-to-school date from August 10 to September 1, 2021 due to covid.  Given the covid delay and the school's plan to start the school year with online classes, some parents will inevitably consider the option to delay their kid's registration until in-person classes start up.  A delay in registration allows for tuition fees to be pro-rated rather than simply subject to a 15% rebate.  NIS, like most international schools, provides 180 days of instruction per school year.  300,000baht elementary tuition per school year works out to ~1667baht per instructional day, so if a parent were to delay registering their child by just 5 days, they would save the same as what NIS gave as a rebate for 6-7 weeks of online classes.    

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Albaby said:

50% refund at my wifes school. Flipside, all the teachers salaries have been cut by 50%. The boss gave all the teachers a food parcel last week. eggs noodles etc.

guess that's how they partially fund the refunds.

• Like 1

Yesterday (Aug 4, 2021), LIST (Lanna Intl School Thailand) issued the attached letter which stated that Distance Learning for Early Years and Primary would be discounted by 50%.   LIST tuition fees are comparable to NIS for Primary/Elementary School.  LIST makes a distinction between Online Learning and Distance Learning and states that the discount for Online Learning will be announced later.  LIST are requiring their parents to pay full Semester 1 fees now with any discount for Online Learning (to be announced later when the actual Online Learning duration is known) to be applied against Semester 2 fees.  

lanna 50pc disc.jpg

On 8/5/2021 at 6:49 AM, Albaby said:

50% refund at my wifes school. Flipside, all the teachers salaries have been cut by 50%. The boss gave all the teachers a food parcel last week. eggs noodles etc.

This will only hurt the students. Teachers will be leaving or not putting any effort into their jobs.

4 hours ago, LeatFingies said:

This will only hurt the students. Teachers will be leaving or not putting any effort into their jobs.

Many parents (especially early years and elementary school) don't like the online classes and have withdrawn their kids, planning to re-enroll when online school changes back to 'normal' school.  If schools are losing their revenue  stream and their students, it is not surprising and understandable that cost-cutting takes place.