Thai Cabinet Approves Use of Fah Talai Jone to Treat Asymptomatic COVID-19 Cases

webfact

c2eeb07e71dcc655745a0526a418e5cf_small.jpg

By Subhabhong Rarueysong

BANGKOK (NNT) - Thailand’s Cabinet has approved the use of Fah Talai Jone (green chiretta or Andrographis paniculate) to treat asymptomatic cases of COVID-19, after a successful trial of the herbal remedy in prisons.

Deputy government spokesperson Ratchada Thanadirek said treatment with the herb will help relieve pressure on the public health system, with more than 14,000 new cases being reported daily.

She said the trial on infected prison inmates showed Fah Talai Jone can prevent the virus from entering cells while reducing viral replication. The Corrections Department gave the herbal remedy to 11,800 inmates with mild symptoms and 99.02% of them recovered.

Ms. Ratchada added that the Ministry of Higher Education, Science, Research and Innovation recommends that asymptomatic patients take 180mg of Fah Talai Jone, divided into three 60mg doses, per day at mealtimes.

nnt.jpg
  • Like 1

OK, so whoever owns the fah talai jone franchise is happy.

Now I'm stuck with all this snake oil.

2 minutes ago, webfact said:

Ms. Ratchada added that the Ministry of Higher Education, Science, Research and Innovation recommends that asymptomatic patients take 180mg of Fah Talai Jone, divided into three 60mg doses, per day at mealtimes.

Isn't she special.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Moonlover said:

If it helps to prevent the patient from developing more serious symptoms, which appears to be the case and there are no side affects, then what's the problem?

I cannot see that there is any comparison with paracetamol.

I think that the claim that it can prevent a patient from developing more serious symptoms is nonsense, but hopefully that will be researched with credible results. Happy to be proven wrong.

Fa Ta Lai Jone is a well-known traditional fever remedy, that much we already know, so as far as I'm concerned, at this point I see it merely as a substitute for paracetamol, which is usually given to patients with mild symptoms pretty much all over the world. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

A little old lady just down the road has it growing prolifically as weeds.

She  makes a tea of it which I have been told is hard to swallow due to bitterness but definitely is beneficial in time of many illnesses.

I wonder if it is simply dried, ground up and put in the capsules ?

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Caldera said:

I think that the claim that it can prevent a patient from developing more serious symptoms is nonsense, but hopefully that will be researched with credible results. Happy to be proven wrong.

Fa Ta Lai Jone is a well-known traditional fever remedy, that much we already know, so as far as I'm concerned, at this point I see it merely as a substitute for paracetamol, which is usually given to patients with mild symptoms pretty much all over the world. 

The operative phrase here is 'I think'. They have done some trails, you only 'think'. That's enough for me.

• Confused 2

1 hour ago, Emdog said:

Wife got me some of that and paracetamol, bless her heart. 

Brings to mind the doctor joke: "You can take this medicine and be back to normal in a week. If you don't, it could take seven days."

Know a fella who started taking it and was dead 2 weeks later, he got run over by a buss..

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, realfunster said:

Good grief, for the love of God, please make it stop.

And some people were arguing the toss with me yesterday about the robustness and quality of the Thai scientific community and their research…

Forget the Phuket Sandbox, the economy is now surely saved that we have the miracle cure for COVID. What a shame we missed out on all those millions of curable global cases last year, hey-ho, never mind !

This was the miracle cure that was given to 3000 inmates of the Chang Mai Central Prison a couple of weeks ago and they were reported as " cured ".

I was not aware that more or less forcing these Prisoners to swallow this constituted a Scientific trial.

Miracle cure or not, where are the Scientific Data from the Trial to back up the claim.

Produce the Scientific facts or go home .

• Like 2

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Thailand’s Cabinet has approved the use of Fah Talai Jone (green chiretta or Andrographis paniculate) to treat asymptomatic cases of COVID-19, after a successful trial of the herbal remedy in prisons.

"Thailand's Cabinet."  Not a medical body, but a political body.  That's where we are at now.  Politics defining treatments. 

"We're going to give medicine to people who are not sick and magically, they they get well!!!" 
Well.  Simply amazing.  I'm beyond words. 

The Ministry of Higher Education, Science, Research and Innovation. Sure. 
And the peer reviewed published research and FDA approval for a medicine being touted as a Covid cure?  Where are those to be found? 

Nowhere.  ????

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nojohndoe said:

A little old lady just down the road has it growing prolifically as weeds.

She  makes a tea of it which I have been told is hard to swallow due to bitterness but definitely is beneficial in time of many illnesses.

I wonder if it is simply dried, ground up and put in the capsules ?

I knew an old lady in Pai.  She grew this weed that had sort of an interestingly pungent smell to it.   It grew prolifically in her garden.  Pretty little flowers.  I had a few cups.  Wish I could get some more.  If I ever get Covid I think a handful of capsules of that ground weed and a liter of tea and I'd be cured for sure.  And if I die?  It would be a nice way to check out.  She had some interesting blue mushrooms too.  Maybe those would be good for Covid too?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CALSinCM said:

I knew an old lady in Pai.  She grew this weed that had sort of an interestingly pungent smell to it.   It grew prolifically in her garden.  Pretty little flowers.  I had a few cups.  Wish I could get some more.  If I ever get Covid I think a handful of capsules of that ground weed and a liter of tea and I'd be cured for sure.  And if I die?  It would be a nice way to check out.  She had some interesting blue mushrooms too.  Maybe those would be good for Covid too?

Lol. For a moment I thought your intro was leading into a limerick !

To be honest I have never knowingly sighted this  plant but  my wife offered to go and gather some if I was interested in trying I did buy a couple  packs from 7/11 in capsule form a long time ago but since the advent of covid-19 I have never suffered from anything even like a seasonal cold due to the mitigation of any virus as a result I am guessing. Perhaps  tomorrow  will venture own  to see what it looks like  au naturale.

Blue mushrooms?? My wife on rare goes foraging on expeditions and comes home with comes home with bright yellow ones  that scare  me when she eats !

I guess death is a natural cure for  Covid-19?

2 hours ago, CALSinCM said:

Blue mushroom yea would probably have you lying awake at night watching all the cartoon Covid bugs flying around the bedroom!

Mind you, the usual suspects will be along soon to tell you it's no worse than drinking a beer...

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, clearance said:

Is there scientific data available? What is the size of control groups? Was a double-blind study used at all?

‘There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy’

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, clivebaxter said:

About as much use as Decolgen, it will not keep you out of hospital if it hits you hard enough

Maybe not, but covid-19 does take a while to multiply when it first enters the body. Anything that might prohibit that process is worth a try isn't it? I used it to assist my Immunocompromised system whilst recovering from extensive cancer surgery. All I can say is that it's impossible to not be exposed to common colds and such, but I didn't succumb to any. Some possible minor side effects from long-term use but I suggest a sensible extra layer of protection whilst this pandemic is in full swing. As they say here "Up to you"

• Like 1