Alcohol free for 10 months, incredibly bored,but two stone lighter!

Scouse123

Good on you. I find beer incredibly boring and rather junky here, and prefer good wine. Since it is hard to find good wine here that is reasonable, I tend not to drink. Once or twice a month I will have a drink here. No big deal. Feel better for it. Don't really understand the daily drinking thing. You are drinking to change things up? Then daily drinking becomes the routine. Boring. 

Same with some friends who smoke ganga daily. Once it becomes daily sobriety becomes the novelty. So, what gives? Psychological dependency? 

• Like 1

On 7/30/2021 at 8:41 AM, unblocktheplanet said:

August 2019 for me, to improve my sleep. It did not but I lost 20lbs. It seemed pointless to go back to drink so it drifted away.

I have plenty to do, mostly computer, learning news things, keeping myself well-informed & recording Covid stats.

But socially, I am now the death of the party. I go to bed religiously at 930pm or I have too few hours of sleep. No theatre, orchestra, opera--they last too late.

So I'm not bored but bored with myself. I am a changed man but I'm not very easy with the changes.

you are what I'm afraid of becoming if i stop drinking and i really mean this in a polite way mate i enjoy a few beers every night  without fail..its what i enjoy ..but best of luck .. possiblity the right choice ....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Back in the day early 80s I quit drinking (and other things)my problems became fewer had more money started hanging out in coffee shops better women more money better health clear thinking all good but I did become quite boored for a time not anymore way to busy 

One day about two years ago I realized I'd gone a few days without a drink. Guess I was just tired of it. I still have one every so often, and find I no longer enjoy it.

Easy for me I guess because I have a non-addictive personality; just ask any of the women who have known me.

• Haha 1

You could have waited another 2 months before posting and that would have given you an impressive 1 year or is that a bridge too far ?

Also there is social drinking which many of us indulge in and happy to do so and of course there is the secret drinking which is concerning . However the amount of alcohol consumed is the main factor . I never touch the top shelf cos I cannot handle it and get terrible hangovers . I drink every other evening and have 4/5 small cans of Chang .   No hangovers , don't talk xxxt and do not get in trouble with my lady . I really enjoy a cold beer at about beer o'clock ( 5 pm ) on a warm Thai evening . Each to their own of course but I do not get bored . No drink evenings I play a high level Sudoku which is brain/energy sapping and will make you sleep , also view UK TV . 

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

What do you guys drink when you are not drinking? 

I just don't find Diet Coke very satisfying and there's only so much tea n coffee I can handle.

What a good beer substitute? 

But not Heineken Zero. That's more expensive than real beer, lol 

1 hour ago, 2009 said:

What do you guys drink when you are not drinking? 

I just don't find Diet Coke very satisfying and there's only so much tea n coffee I can handle.

What a good beer substitute? 

But not Heineken Zero. That's more expensive than real beer, lol 

Red wine!

• Like 1