Non o visa money in the bank

18 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

The 800k baht must be in the bank for 2 months on the day you apply for a extension of stay (it is not a visa) based upon retirement. You can apply for the extension 30 days early up to the day your permit to stay ends.

Thank you

On 7/30/2021 at 11:56 PM, ubonjoe said:

The 800k baht must be in the bank for 2 months on the day you apply for a extension of stay (it is not a visa) based upon retirement. You can apply for the extension 30 days early up to the day your permit to stay ends.

I have a related question. I’m thinking of applying for a Non-O based on retirement for the first time when my non-B expires. Since the exchange rates have been improving can I transfer the 800 K now to BkkBank even if it’s say, 8 months before I need it for the ext?

51 minutes ago, Harveyg said:

I have a related question. I’m thinking of applying for a Non-O based on retirement for the first time when my non-B expires. Since the exchange rates have been improving can I transfer the 800 K now to BkkBank even if it’s say, 8 months before I need it for the ext?

Yes. To apply in-country for the Non-O based on retirement, the funds only have to be in the account on the day of application, and you need proof that they came from overseas - there's neither a minimum nor a maximum "seasoning" time. Once you have the Non-O and are doing extensions, the rule is as stated by @ubonjoeabove (with no further need to show that the money came from abroad) - a two month minimum, but no maximum. 

Edit: I see from UJ's answer above that the OP won't be able to change his visa status, but I think my info is still valid in case he decides to exit the country and reenter with a tourist visa or exempt ????

Edited by khunjeff
  • Thanks 1

On 7/31/2021 at 1:56 PM, ubonjoe said:

No money is required in the bank for a single entry O visa, 90 days stay.

400,000 B is required  for a 1Year validity multi entrance 90 days stay visa . 

6 minutes ago, Percy P said:

400,000 B is required  for a 1Year validity multi entrance 90 days stay visa . 

It is needed if applying for non-o visa at immigration. At most embassies and consulate no financial proof is needed if applying for a non-o visa based upon marriage. It is needed for retirement though at many of them.

The 400k baht is for a extension based upon marriage.

400,000 B is required  for a 1Year validity multi entrance 90 days stay visa . This is the visa I use.  Acquired at Thai consulate Penang.

Edited by ubonjoe
removed quote frame

8 minutes ago, Percy P said:

400,000 B is required  for a 1Year validity multi entrance 90 days stay visa . This is the visa I use.  Acquired at Thai consulate Penang.

As I wrote before that is a non-o based upon marriage. Or it could be a one for being the parent of a Thai.

I don't think have gotten a visa form the consulate Penang since March of last year or earlier.

The discussion is about extension based upon retirement.

2 minutes ago, Percy P said:

I will be applying for a 1 Year multi entrance  90 days stay validity visa at Penang as soon as the lockdown is lifted. 400,000 Baht in the bank . I will use this money over the year but must be topped up be for applying for another O visa.

2 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

As I wrote before that is a non-o based upon marriage. Or it could be a one for being the parent of a Thai.

I don't think have gotten a visa form the consulate Penang since March of last year or earlier.

The discussion is about extension based upon retirement.

Even so, no money is required in the bank to obtain a single entry O visa

On 7/31/2021 at 2:56 PM, ubonjoe said:

Joe is legendary. The Go-to Bloke with all the news in Thailand. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Percy P said:

Even so, no money is required in the bank to obtain a single entry O visa

It is if you apply for a single entry non-o at immigration.

At least 20k baht is needed in the bank to apply for non-o visa at many embassies and official consulates. That is a standard requirement to apply for a visa or to enter the country.

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

You will only be changing the reason for your current extension from working to retirement. You cannot change non immigrant visa categories while in country.

No problem to put the money in the bank now for example. The only rule is that it has to be in a Thai bank in your own name for 2 months on the day you apply.

I thought 3 months... are you sure?

On 7/31/2021 at 7:56 AM, ubonjoe said:

Are we talking of the Non Immigrant - O or - OA visa here? Also, I thought a combination of THB in the bank + proof of income would be acceptable, am I wrong?

1 hour ago, gejohesch said:

Are we talking of the Non Immigrant - O or - OA visa here? Also, I thought a combination of THB in the bank + proof of income would be acceptable, am I wrong?

It is not about any visa application. It is for a extension of stay based upon retirement.

It can be proof of 65k baht income or a combination of money in the bank and income totaling at least 800k baht.

Only the 800k baht was mentioned by the OP.

35 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

It is not about any visa application. It is for a extension of stay based upon retirement.

It can be proof of 65k baht income or a combination of money in the bank and income totaling at least 800k baht.

Only the 800k baht was mentioned by the OP.

OK, that makes more sense, thanks

Ubon Joe, how far in advance would I need to apply for my extension of stay based on marriage? My non O vise expires Sept 26, I opened my bank account on July 12. I was thinking, wait until it was 2 months after the bank account (Sept 12) but my wife says that its' not enough time and we need to get a 1 month  extension first,  I try not to argue with her, but  would appreciate your advice. 

28 minutes ago, Tedly said:

Ubon Joe, how far in advance would I need to apply for my extension of stay based on marriage? My non O vise expires Sept 26, I opened my bank account on July 12. I was thinking, wait until it was 2 months after the bank account (Sept 12) but my wife says that its' not enough time and we need to get a 1 month  extension first,  I try not to argue with her, but  would appreciate your advice. 

What is your permit to stay that the non-o visa allowed you to get on entry. You visas expiration date means nothing now.

The 400k baht has to be in the bank for 2 months on the day you apply. You can apply up to the last day of the permit to stay you have now. 

There is no 30 day extension you can apply for. You can get a 60 day extension if needed to visit your wife or a covid 19 extension.

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

What is your permit to stay that the non-o visa allowed you to get on entry. You visas expiration date means nothing now.

The 400k baht has to be in the bank for 2 months on the day you apply. You can apply up to the last day of the permit to stay you have now. 

There is no 30 day extension you can apply for. You can get a 60 day extension if needed to visit your wife or a covid 19 extension.

OK, I wasn't sure if the extension was 30 or 60 days. Thanks