Ict Shuts Down Hi-thaksin.org, 16 Other Websites

george

ICT shuts down hi-thaksin.org, 16 other websites

BANGKOK: -- The Information and Communications Technology Ministry has now shut down as many as 17 websites for their support of ousted prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra.

Access to hi-thaksin.org has been denied following Thaksin's chief counsel in Thailand, Noppadon Pattama, saying he would post a video of his client's latest speech on the site.

Similar action has been taken against saturdayvoice.no-ip.info for reporting the deposed leader's movements.

Among other popular sites established by Thaksin supporters to be blocked are rakchat.org, saturdaylive.org, saturdaycenter.com, dday5450.org and saturdaycenter.com.

-- The Nation 2007-05-27

Nothing but self-flattering propaganda about a criminal and compulsive liar. No big loss.

I'm glad to see that we can still read your opinion Tony.

The question is for how long more? :o

Nothing but self-flattering propaganda about a criminal and compulsive liar. No big loss.

And who decides this? You?

Please let me decide myself what I want to read and what I don't want. I kinda don't trust your judgment. Sorry mate

And you still get the cheerleaders for a military dictatorship on this site.

They are usually the biggest whingers though when the Thai's try to crack down on the illegal potless farang scraping by in Thailand only there for the cheap women having been social lepers in their own country.

:o Freedom of speech and Press-freedom is slipping downhill further and further in LOS.

LaoPo

Yes, it is sad times for the Thai people.

the international opinion of Thailand is slipping further down that same hill.Yes, a great shame for Thai people.Surprising really, when you consider how important loss of face is to Thais that the powers that be are causing the entire nation to lose face in the worlds eyes

:o Freedom of speech and Press-freedom is slipping downhill further and further in LOS.

LaoPo

the international opinion of Thailand is slipping further down that same hill.Yes, a great shame for Thai people.Surprising really, when you consider how important loss of face is to Thais that the powers that be are causing the entire nation to lose face in the worlds eyes

Yes, but the way I see it is that most of the problems are Thaksin related. He is very clever and if only he had applied himself to helping Thailand instead of helping himself. Then Thailand would be in a far better position that it is now.

He is still full of himself and causing as many problems as he can for ‘those in control at present’ and of course Thailand. He doesn’t really love Thailand, he loves himself and his huge ego.

Unfortunately history has shown that there have been many very clever leaders and many of them dishonest!

The simple truth is the coup didn't come out of the blue. If Thaksin had been an honest leader this would never have happened at all. Thaksin had his way of controlling the media. I'm waiting to see how this pans out. After the election all the censorship will stop. At that point if there are problems I will listen. If Thaksin cares about Thailand he will give up on making speeches and ralling support for his corrupt self. His words and actions now will result in a peaceful change or violence. If violence happens before the change of power Thaksin will have blood on his hands. I would guess Thailand still has much much more freedom on the net than places like China. Does it have more than Singapore? Malaysia? Anyone know?

Edited by Aujuba

LaoPo

Yes, but the way I see it is that most of the problems are Thaksin related. He is very clever and if only he had applied himself to helping Thailand instead of helping himself. Then Thailand would be in a far better position that it is now.

He is still full of himself and causing as many problems as he can for 'those in control at present' and of course Thailand. He doesn't really love Thailand, he loves himself and his huge ego.

Unfortunately history has shown that there have been many very clever leaders and many of them dishonest!

I do not agree with you, I think it is a huge overstatement to contribute everything that is going wrong now in Thailand to the former Prime minister. The present governments hysteria regarding everything to do with Thaksin, is a sign of moral, political and practical weakness on their part, they know they can not defend their position in an enviroment of free debate, so they outlaw free speech.

Facts.

The least corrupt elections has been held in the time of the former governments reign.

The economic growth for Thailand was brought back on track in the same period.

Free (or almost free) health care for all Thais, a huge step not to be underestimatet, for people who before had to sit and watch their children die of relative uncomplicated desease.

Cheap bank loans for farmers, to help the poor farmers out of the claws of the private money lender mafia.

A massive clamp down on drug lords and their private armys that roamed free in big parts of northern Thailand.

Now you list for me the good things the former millitary dictators have done for Thailand.

I know the former prime minister have done things we in the west consider very wrong, but he is a baby compared to the track record of the present powers. (Lining private pockets when in position of power is part of Thai culture, the ones before did it and i dare say the ones to come will do it.)

I for my part will always choose fredom of speech and democracy over millitary or other forms of dictatorship, even if it is not a perfect democracy.

You have to choose the lesser of two "viewels" ( :D for the ones who has seen the film "Master and Commander") evils.

Have a very nice day.

Kind regards :D

Edited by larvidchr

[cut for brevity]

I do not agree with you, I think it is a huge overstatement to contribute everything that is going wrong now in Thailand to the former Prime minister. The present governments hysteria regarding everything to do with Thaksin, is a sign of moral, political and practical weakness on their part, they know they can not defend their position in an enviroment of free debate, so they outlaw free speech.

[cut for brevity]

Have a very nice day.

Kind regards :o

Larvidchr, my applause to that.

He ain't no saint, but all the problems cropping up since last September cannot be all his fault, can they?

Pastor Martin Niemöller summed it up well I think, there's always a first step......

First they came for the Jews

and I did not speak out

because I was not a Jew.

Then they came for the Communists

and I did not speak out

because I was not a Communist.

Then they came for the trade unionists

and I did not speak out

because I was not a trade unionist.

Then they came for me

and there was no one left

to speak out for me.

Worth a little thought in these increasingly troubled days I think.

By the by I recall GuestHouse posting this lament in a similar vein, so I'll credit him with jogging my memory.

Regards

[cut for brevity]

[cut for brevity]

Have a very nice day.

Larvidchr, my applause to that.

He ain't no saint, but all the problems cropping up since last September cannot be all his fault, can they?

Almost all of us in these forums rely on the press to (selectively) inform our understanding of events and the context in which they occur. And as this article in the Post, written by one of the foremost media analysts in Thailand, points out- the press has never in Thailand really aspired to neutrality or objectivity- and this has been especially so in the last two years.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/250507_News/25May2007_news19.php

worth a read I think...

Edited by blaze

I don't care for Thaksin, I don't care for our current 'great leaders'.

But I do care for the chance that my son might not grow up in a country where peoples opinions and ideas aren't censored and people aren't governd by fear and warped views of moral.

And I don't care much for your opinions. But I respect your right to have them.

But I do care for the chance that my son might not grow up in a country where peoples opinions and ideas aren't censored and people aren't governd by fear and warped views of moral.

I'd like to highlight these words ...............................

I'd like to highlight these words ...............................

Welcome to Asia land of rampant censorship oh and by the way were sending you jail if we catch you spoofing your IP address.

Edited by BigA

Facts.

The least corrupt elections has been held in the time of the former governments reign.

The economic growth for Thailand was brought back on track in the same period.

Free (or almost free) health care for all Thais, a huge step not to be underestimatet, for people who before had to sit and watch their children die of relative uncomplicated desease.

Cheap bank loans for farmers, to help the poor farmers out of the claws of the private money lender mafia.

A massive clamp down on drug lords and their private armys that roamed free in big parts of northern Thailand.

Now you list for me the good things the former millitary dictators have done for Thailand.

I know the former prime minister have done things we in the west consider very wrong, but he is a baby compared to the track record of the present powers. (Lining private pockets when in position of power is part of Thai culture, the ones before did it and i dare say the ones to come will do it.)

I for my part will always choose fredom of speech and democracy over millitary or other forms of dictatorship, even if it is not a perfect democracy.

You have to choose the lesser of two "viewels" ( :D for the ones who has seen the film "Master and Commander") evils.

Have a very nice day.

Very well said.

But I don't think the debate of "Is Thaksin Bad" should even come into it. People should be able to hear whatever they like, and then make their own decisions.

And it is not just Thaksin's sites which are being banned! The list of banned sites at this point must be massive!

The present governments hysteria regarding everything to do with Thaksin, is a sign of moral, political and practical weakness on their part, they know they can not defend their position in an enviroment of free debate, so they outlaw free speech.

Thaksin isn't exactly a paragon of the free speech ideal, or free debate for that matter.

He never accepted the challenge of a live debate, and at at least one press conference he had a funny little cross symbol he used to dismiss questions he didn't want to answer :D

Not to mention the way he unfairly controlled the media giving himself maximum exposure and his opponents virtually nothing. This is a subtle and powerful form of censorship.

yet we have people throwing their hands up in the air at the censorship "outrage" of this pathetic bastion of self-propaganda. :o

Edited by Grover

Yes, but the way I see it is that most of the problems are Thaksin related.

I do not agree with you, I think it is a huge overstatement to contribute everything that is going wrong now in Thailand to the former Prime minister.

he never said "everything" :o

:D

Sitthichai ready to lift website ban

Information and Communications Technology Minister Sitthichai Pookaiyaudom said he would stop blocking websites of deposed prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra's supporters today "pending the situation".

As many as 17 websites of Thaksin's supporters were blocked after his legal adviser Noppadon Pattama said he would put out a video clip of Thaksin giving a speech on certain sites.

Sitthichai said he had not allowed the public to access these sites for fear that Thaksin's supporters may be encouraged to protest today.

He said the blocking of the sites had been carried out in the country's interests and to maintain security. If the situation unfolded peacefully over the next two to three days, these sites would be allowed to operate.

The Nation

It seems a lot of people think that the military coup came out of the blue. How many countries pulled their ambassadors in protest when it happened? Why didn't they? They knew that Thaksin really was everything the silenced opposition was saying he was. The word dictator has be ringing in Thailand for years. Thaksin shut up people and people disappeared during his time in office. Did the media get a chance to bring this up while Thaksin was in office? Yes, ASTV broadcasting from abroad was able to put out news against the government but the local media for some reason couldn't.

As for those who blame the temporary government for not doing anything. It's temporary government. They weren't elected to DO things like create health care systems etc. They'll be gone soon enough. Hopefully after this year things will be better and Thailand will have a better future.

No one wants censorship to increase. People will fight against it. No one wants their kids to grow up in a country without freedom. Who would want their kids to live in a country rife with corruption either? Well, maybe Thaksin Shinawatra.

ICT shuts down hi-thaksin.org, 16 other websites

BANGKOK: -- The Information and Communications Technology Ministry has now shut down as many as 17 websites for their support of ousted prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra.

I am sorry this story is totally misleading.

The ICT has not shutdown www.hi-thaksin.org.

They may have blocked it to internet users in Thailand, but the site is alive and well.

I have open in another window as I write this on the 30th May.