Extra Passport Pages No Longer Allowed ?

I believe there has been an international agreement (at least amongst the major, developed western countries) for quite some time.  Something about anti-fraud; too easy for anyone to insert extra pages.  I'm Canadian; same thing.

• Sad 1

"Effective January 1st, 2016 the U.S. Passport Agency has discontinued adding additional passport pages into valid U.S. Passports. If your passport no longer has available blank pages for visas or country entry and exit stamps you must now apply for a U.S. Passport Renewal." - Google

More security rubbish. It always cost as much as a new passport but it used to be convenient as they would do it at a consul or embassy. My last one I had double extra pages in a 48 pager. It was a monster. 

• Like 1

Yeah, this is quite old news and nothing to do with the current popular president.

I recall when I got my current passport in Bangkok I was offered a choice of standard pages or more pages passport though. But no adding later. Of course choose the more pages option if that's still a choice.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, Captain Monday said:

My last one I had double extra pages in a 48 pager. It was a monster. 

555 I opted for a 10 year passport for the same reason.

Wrong. double the years but same amount of pages.

What do you mean you opted for a 10 year? US passport ?

I have a 10 year and a 4 year currently.

Why somebody want a 28 page passport for the same price is quite mind-boggling to me. To save weight ?

"The "Standard" passport is 28 pages, and the "Non-Standard" book is 52 pages. Both options cost the same. If you want a 52-page passport book, be sure to check the appropriate box on Form DS-82. (If you run out of pages before your passport expires, you must apply for another passport." _Guggle

Edited by Captain Monday
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, utalkin2me said:

The intl regulation they need to make is no stamp should take up more than 1/3 of a page

How about Thailand revamping their immigration management system. I like Korea. The system requires no stamps in newer US passports. They give short term visitors a small paper reminding you when you need to depart by.  

• Like 1

On 8/3/2021 at 7:17 PM, allane said:

I believe there has been an international agreement (at least amongst the major, developed western countries) for quite some time.  Something about anti-fraud; too easy for anyone to insert extra pages.  I'm Canadian; same thing.

It's an international agreement amongst ALL member nations of the IATA system. It's not just a "only-us-developed-western-countries we-are-unique" thing fyi. 

I have German, Cambodian and Philippine passports and these rules apply to all countries, whether developed or underdeveloped! 

All do not allow pages to be inserted. All require that children have their own passports. All do not allow their passports' validity to be extended manually. New passports must be applied for when passports expire or are full. This rule is a result of developments in passport validation technology and is most definitely not because a "western countries are special" mindset. The MRZ zone of the passport's data page is derived from a checksum which cannot be altered once the passport is issued. An optical character recognition (OCR) system provides the calculation of the checksum of the extracted data. That extracted data shows the passport's encoded features--- including how many pages it contains. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 8/3/2021 at 4:47 PM, allane said:

You'd think if getting the 10 year Canadian passport 48 pages would be offered,  36 only now............cash cow ! 

They no longer add pages since 2015.

You must now get a new passport once all the pages are filled up.

So get the larger 52 page passport if you you travel a lot and are young enough to fill up a new passport again.

My passport was still valid with another 8 months, but told to buy a new one by the US embassy website.

https://th.usembassy.gov/message-for-u-s-citizens-important-change-to-your-passport/

Standard passport books have 17 blank pages, but you can actually start with more! Frequent travelers should consider requesting the 52 page passport book.

9 hours ago, mvdf said:

It's an international agreement amongst ALL member nations of the IATA system. It's not just a "only-us-developed-western-countries we-are-unique" thing fyi. 

International Civil Aviation Organisation, a United Nations agency, has standards and specifications on passport, to which all signatory countries must comply.