Former construction worker is now homeless, living in a pipe, and unemployed due to Covid-19 restrictions in Pattaya, tells his story

snoop1130

S__22814742-768x576.jpg

A former construction worker who is now laid off and unemployed due to Covid-19 related measures and restrictions that have essentially shut most major construction projects in Chonburi was found living in a concrete pipe near a road in Pattaya recently.

Pictures of the man’s “home” were shared on Thai social media and reporters from The Pattaya News went to speak with him over the weekend along with officials from local welfare groups. The man was happy to share his story of how he was dealing with the current situation in Chonburi.

Mr. Jamnong Innom, 50, lives in the cement pipe seen below near Sukhumvit Road in Naklua. He sleeps on old bed mattresses inside the cement pipe with only a few personal belongings to his name.

Full Story: https://thepattayanews.com/2021/08/04/former-construction-worker-is-now-homeless-living-in-a-pipe-and-unemployed-due-to-covid-19-restrictions-in-pattaya-tells-his-story/

PattayaNews.jpg

• Sad 10
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Denim said:

I would have expected the many temples scattered around could be doing more. Even if only providing space to camp out and use toilet and washing facilities.

It's always possible they are but just like in other countries, the homeless will reject certain forms of help.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, lolalol said:

Sigh...  This is truly sad...  

Not necessarily true  though, I  have had many workers  arrive here , they start off  full of gustro and often within a  week become just awful, lazy, sneaky and resort to many tactics to avoid doing anything. They will  hide away in places  around the land where they think i cant see. The latest pair  have just been gotten rid  of for numerous  things, many with zero sense at  all, when told  only  cut  off brown leaves they will  cut off  green  ones, when told to turn a  tap  off they will leave it  on, one or two times initially you may understand but  no it goes on often and gets forgotten, found  sprinklers  running 8  hours  later which should  have been turned off etc etc etc, many are  poor  for a  reason,  not saying this  guy  is  but they wail and moan theyre  poor, turn up here for work and are cack.

• Sad 1

My company is also depending on construction business and we are struggling since 2 month to pay our fixed cost and salaries.

No support at all from social security although we paid - in for more than 16 years.

It is going to be very serious and all my staff is suffering - hoping it will improve soonest. Otherwise we have no choice but to lock-down.

Very sad.

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, hotchilli said:

I don't understand, didn't the lets go halves scheme help everyone?

Thailand is  going down the pan fast, no tourism, commerce struggling to stay afloat, only niche exports doing anything.

Prayut & Co have a lot to answer for.

I dont think it did I know people who could not claim it

• Like 1

12 hours ago, sanuk711 said:

Haven't been back to the UK for some years, but the amount of people sleeping in doorways etc around London was staggering,

Sorry but a lot of what I see and have experienced it is of their own making and I feel absolutely no sympathy for them whatsoever.

I have been stuck in a bed and breakfast in Blackpool for the last 16 months - my own house is rented out and I my tenant a great guy so getting back to Thailand and leaving him there is worth this cess pit for a while.

Now, when covid first started the two bed and breakfasts either side of mine took in about 40 homeless, ranging I guess from 20 to 70. Our own landlord refused as he knew what was coming.

Within a day, the police vans were arriving every 6 hours or so, there'd be something 4 or 5 of them in the street daily.

The homeless people they moved in were continually drunk, on drugs, smoking weed, dancing in the street, fighting themselves and the neighboring hotel owners, continually shouting abuse, thieving, one even shooting seagulls with a gun (I could actually accept that), they had showers and access to washing machines but did nothing to improve themselves.

Within 2 months all but 2 of them had been kicked out - well, asbo and banned from B& B would be more accurate.

There was one guy that had been homeless and too the opportunity to turn his life around and eventually moved into our B&B. And he hated these people more than most.

My point is that 95% up of the people moved in were put straight back out on the streets in weeks. Homelessness in the UK most of the time is a lifestyle choice for these gutter type of people - NOT the same I would say as those homeless in Thailand that want work and house and a life but have lost it due to the pandemic

• Like 1

What can I say Richard, about your thoughts of homeless People,  or as you put it "these gutter type's of people"  who you feel are just homeless out of choice --this, based on your analysis of the 2 B&Bs in Blackpool.

I guess we will just have to disagree----:coffee1:

Shelter's 2019 per-covid estimate that 280,000 people are homeless in England means that one in every 200 people find themselves without a home. Wikipedia ....So now 1 in every 200 people are suddenly choosing to sleep on doorsteps etc.

Hope you manage to get back here soon mate, 16 months is a long time to be banged up in a B&B

20 hours ago, sanuk711 said:

Hope you manage to get back here soon mate, 16 months is a long time to be banged up in a B&B

They have the drag queen show each night and he is having a great time. 

• Haha 1

On 8/5/2021 at 8:48 AM, spidermike007 said:

We have no idea of the extent of the homelessness, at this time, but there is no doubt the lying, deceptive, deceitful authorities are trying to hide this from us, the media is being threatened if they reveal it, and as always, a false veneer is being used to obscure the truth, to fake reality

Millions are out of work right now, and the stingy ones are not doing anything meaningful to help.

Doesn't the fact that two Thai media outlets reported this man's story belie the premise of your post ????

• Thanks 1