Swimming Pool with corner Jacuzzi -- need new Jacuzzi pump

Thailaw

The pump for the jacuzzi in the corner of my swimming pool is kaput. There is a separate pump for the swimming pool itself that is new last year and working fine. The internet shows many swimming pool pumps. There are also a few pumps stated to be specifically for spas or jacuzzis.  Are the pumps interchangeable? The pumps stated to be for spas/jacuzzis (1st photo) are much more expensive -- a 2HP pump around B25,000. There are pumps for swimming pools for B7,000 to B16,000. One on Lazada (2nd photo), is said by the seller to be suitable for spa/jacuzzi use ("Hello, this pump can be used with Jacuzzi pool. Thank you too"). Is this correct? I don't expect that the jacuzzi will get much use; one or twice a month at most, so I would prefer not spending much to get it working. Help will be greatly appreciated. 

Jacuzzi pump (1).jpg

Jacuzzi pump (2).jpg

What is the brand and size (hp) of your blown up motor?

How did your motor fail? 

Is it just buzzing and not pumping?

There's a real knowledgeable gent that comes on this forum... name's failed me at the moment, but his avitar is a face like a twisted sandshoe. He will know.

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, carlyai said:

How did your motor fail? 

Is it just buzzing and not pumping?

There's a real knowledgeable gent that comes on this forum... name's failed me at the moment, but his avitar is a face like a twisted sandshoe. He will know.

Thanks Carlyai. Twisted sandstone hmmm? Bahahahaha

Yep a Jacuzzi doesn't need a pool pump with a lint basket. Just a powerfull circulation pump!

I can supply! 

Twisted sanstone! Love it! 5555555

Lub it K@@nt! 

5 hours ago, carlyai said:

This is the motor that is on the jacuzzi in the swimming pool now. It is 2 HP. I don't know how or why it broke. The swimming pool walla said it was broken, and said that it needed to be repaired or replaced. 

Jacuzzi pump (3).jpg

5 hours ago, Bagwain said:

Yep a Jacuzzi doesn't need a pool pump with a lint basket. Just a powerful circulation pump!

I can supply! 

I accept that the jacuzzi doesn't need the lint basket, but will it cause a problem if it has one? (can't I just remove the lint basket and run the pump without it?) Is there any other difference between the swimming pool pump and the jacuzzi pump? The broken pump on the jacuzzi now appears to have a lint basket (or an area where one would be located) but it is dark/black plastic and not clear like the others. But the pump is labeled as a  "self priming pool pump" (see the picture above). Can you PM me with a price. Thanks. 

16 hours ago, Thailaw said:

This is the motor that is on the jacuzzi in the swimming pool now. It is 2 HP. I don't know how or why it broke. The swimming pool walla said it was broken, and said that it needed to be repaired or replaced. 

Jacuzzi pump (3).jpg

This brand & Boss worst pumps you can get.

Beware the <deleted> with price from 15 yrs ago with only experience from his own back yard!

He is gunna cause people grief!

I will PM you details!

5 hours ago, Saanim said:

I have the pump for 7,999, not for jacuzzi but swimming pool, running over years w/o problem... Same or similar can be bought at GH and other pump shops (not just pool specialized).  

Again quoting from ignorance.

Most pumps from GH have verly low flow rates and are rubbish.

Do you have any idea of what you are talking about or you just go for the cheapest you can find?

2 hours ago, Bagwain said:

Again quoting from ignorance.

Most pumps from GH have verly low flow rates and are rubbish.

Do you have any idea of what you are talking about or you just go for the cheapest you can find?

Actually, I did not buy it from GH and not 15 years ago. The price 7,999 is on Lazada, and not 15 years ago.  BTW, how do you know that "pumps from GH have verly low flow rates", did you have one? It has the flow rate as indicated on the shield - and that's not "verly low" for my 12x3 m pool...

Pump1.jpg

Pump.jpg

On 8/6/2021 at 7:52 PM, Saanim said:

Actually, I did not buy it from GH and not 15 years ago. The price 7,999 is on Lazada, and not 15 years ago.  BTW, how do you know that "pumps from GH have verly low flow rates", did you have one? It has the flow rate as indicated on the shield - and that's not "verly low" for my 12x3 m pool...

Pump1.jpg

Pump.jpg

Bagwain has many years experience with pool construction & fitting equipment, as do I actually, so he is worth listening to. His posts always make good sense. He has a business to run & this forum can lead to sales, it has for me occasionally. Posting advice on this forum can also have it's rewards as well as knowing you have been of help to others

Edited by Valentine
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, Valentine said:

Bagwain has many years experience with pool construction & fitting equipment, as do I actually, so he is worth listening to.

People of many years of real experience do not speak with such a tone denigrating experience of others. It shows just another kind of experience...

(But I do not try to sell anything...)    

1. KEEP SUCTION PIPING AS SHORT AS POSSIBLE

Include a straight run pipe length equal to 5 to 10 times the pipe diameter between the pump inlet and any obstruction in the suction line. Note: Obstructions include valves, elbows, "tees", and etc.

Keeping the pump suction piping short ensures that the inlet pressure drop is as low as possible. The straight run pipe gives you a uniform velocity across the pipe diameter at the pump inlet. Both are important to achieving optimal suction.

Pump Cavitation

Edited by sappersrest
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, Saanim said:

People of many years of real experience do not speak with such a tone denigrating experience of others. It shows just another kind of experience...

(But I do not try to sell anything...)    

People should not bag professionals either! Throwing stones & glass housing come to mind! Maybe a different approach & attitude instead of trying to bag people trying to make a living! My concern was bad advice given by a back yard expert! Potentially leading people down the wrong path! 

Edited by Bagwain
  • Like 1

It seems that after 30 years you have also sufficient experience in twisting the matter discussed here:

Whether the pump from Global House can be used or not. With or without the elbow.

That the sucking elbow is close to the pump is given by the available and suitable location for it.  Actually I did not recommended it so to anybody,  did I?

Anyway, per your logic (and of your friend's) the pump from GH is of very low flow rate. Also per your 30 years professional experience testing the pumps from GH?

And I make the flow even worse with the elbow. You surely know how much worse?

Nevertheless, the pump with the elbow is still OK to serve 60 cbm pool with sucking from pool bottom and from overflow basin.  The sucking lengths are very short, thanks to the suitable location of the pump and the elbow. 

3 hours ago, Saanim said:

It seems that after 30 years you have also sufficient experience in twisting the matter discussed here:

Whether the pump from Global House can be used or not. With or without the elbow.

That the sucking elbow is close to the pump is given by the available and suitable location for it.  Actually I did not recommended it so to anybody,  did I?

Anyway, per your logic (and of your friend's) the pump from GH is of very low flow rate. Also per your 30 years professional experience testing the pumps from GH?

And I make the flow even worse with the elbow. You surely know how much worse?

Nevertheless, the pump with the elbow is still OK to serve 60 cbm pool with sucking from pool bottom and from overflow basin.  The sucking lengths are very short, thanks to the suitable location of the pump and the elbow. 

Not sure why this should develop into an argument.

1. Buying a new pump recommended by people who have 'been there, done that' seems sensible.

2. Having the correct length of pipe feeding into the pump is in the manufacturers handbook. Even though many people don't seem to do it because of limited space.

So it's really an argument about the choice of English language used not the advice. ????

• Like 1

On 8/13/2021 at 2:38 AM, carlyai said:

Not sure why this should develop into an argument.

1. Buying a new pump recommended by people who have 'been there, done that' seems sensible.

2. Having the correct length of pipe feeding into the pump is in the manufacturers handbook. Even though many people don't seem to do it because of limited space.

So it's really an argument about the choice of English language used not the advice. ????

Thanks for the replies, some quite helpful (some not so much). This is not a new installation. And my pumphouse is rather small, but not very far from the pool. Like Saanim, I am constrained by available space, existing piping (which can be changed, if necessary/helpful with not too much cost), and the fact that there are 2 pumps in the pump room -- one for cleaning the pool and one for the Jacuzzi.  I can see how an 90' elbow almost immediately after the outflow of the pump can put added "work" on the pump and significantly reduce efficiency, but choices with an existing pump arrangement are, by definition, limited, and I am not willing to make a relatively cheap pump replacement into a major redesign/renovation of my poolhouse. The existing pump, which was said by one responder to be on of the "worst pumps you can get", provided service for 10 years, so, if I can repeat that length of service with a relatively cheap pump and the existing piping, I will be satisfied (the elbow is significantly farther from the pump in my pumphouse, but it is not a straight line to the pool).  This is for the jacuzzi which is likely to get less than 30 minutes of use each month by my teenage kids, asymptotically approaching zero (or very close to it) after a few years. Thanks for the input. I feel much more confident about what I am doing and my available choices now. Best, TL 

20 hours ago, Thailaw said:

Thanks for the replies, some quite helpful (some not so much). This is not a new installation. And my pumphouse is rather small, but not very far from the pool. Like Saanim, I am constrained by available space, existing piping (which can be changed, if necessary/helpful with not too much cost), and the fact that there are 2 pumps in the pump room -- one for cleaning the pool and one for the Jacuzzi.  I can see how an 90' elbow almost immediately after the outflow of the pump can put added "work" on the pump and significantly reduce efficiency, but choices with an existing pump arrangement are, by definition, limited, and I am not willing to make a relatively cheap pump replacement into a major redesign/renovation of my poolhouse. The existing pump, which was said by one responder to be on of the "worst pumps you can get", provided service for 10 years, so, if I can repeat that length of service with a relatively cheap pump and the existing piping, I will be satisfied (the elbow is significantly farther from the pump in my pumphouse, but it is not a straight line to the pool).  This is for the jacuzzi which is likely to get less than 30 minutes of use each month by my teenage kids, asymptotically approaching zero (or very close to it) after a few years. Thanks for the input. I feel much more confident about what I am doing and my available choices now. Best, TL 

The elbow won't make much of a difference given the length (head) that it has to deal with!

As far as the brand being the worst, is becuase it and another similar are. Not just my opinion but my and a number of other pool builders experience, whom have had to change them.

(You are lucky that you got ten yrs, but it sure would have been a diffent case if it was your main pool pump)!

• Like 1

On 8/14/2021 at 11:32 AM, Thailaw said:

This is for the jacuzzi which is likely to get less than 30 minutes of use each month by my teenage kids, asymptotically approaching zero (or very close to it) after a few years.

Yes, that's quite a difference when my pump (8,000 Baht) running daily 8 - 10 hours over 10 years without any problem.  Used also weekly for sucking the bottom, sometimes very messy.  Actually, the pumps is not really from GH - although I see there similar ones (or same?) for the similar money.  You can get it in any better pump shop, I bought it in such - not really a swimming pool accessories shop.

And the flow 400 L/min. - as is written on the shield - it really gives. I do not think you need more for Jacuzzi.