Apple on Lazada, actually Apple or not?

ThLT

The iPhone 12 Mini (64GB) sells for 18,100฿ on Lazada. The store name is "Apple," which has a "LazMall Flagship Store" badge. However, when you go the the seller page, it's written "Authorized Reseller" at the top.

The prices are surprising. On the official Apple store, the 64GB iPhone 12 Mini sells for 25,900฿. That's a full 7,800฿ difference! The line "if it's too good to be true, it probably is" comes to mind. Does anyone know if the "Apple" store on Lazada actually is Apple?

Edited by ThLT

I don't think any of the Apple retailers in Thailand are actually owned by Apple?  With the possible exception of the new Apple Store at Central World, the shops and the on-line sellers are not part of Apple, but some may be official resellers.

But that does not mean you can't get a good deal.  I bought a new Samsung Note 10 on-line at a big discount when the 11 came out, and it was fine.  Unfortunately the reviews can be fake, so it's a gamble, but there are some good deals out there.

• Like 1

Thailand .... the hub of copies,  it's the same as Shopee advertisements of Samsung .... they are not original authentic mobiles.  Remember,  if something looks to good to be true then chances are it probably isn't ... 

Edited by steven100

35 minutes ago, ThLT said:

Thanks, @Kinnock @sometimewoodworker. It seems the "LazMall" and "Flagship Store" badges on Lazada aren't as reliable as I thought. 

They are reliable, in the sense that people can name their stores as they like.

But it is a caveat emptor situation, on lazada an “insert brand name here” Flagship store is not automatically an “insert brand name here” store and a LazMall store is again probably not an “insert brand name here” store. A Lazada official store may be an “insert brand name here” store. For example RTB Paint sells direct through Lazada.

• Like 2

On 8/9/2021 at 7:31 AM, sometimewoodworker said:

It is absolutely certainly not Apple. An authorised reseller  is not Apple. In some countries Apple has a refurbished store (not in Thailand) and prices for items are lower if available,

Jerome my friend, in my case you are wrong in this.  I have purchased an iPad Pro (latest model) and an Apple Watch (series 6) within the last 12 months from authorised resellers.  Both items came from Apple and with full Apple warranty.  In the case of the iPad Pro it came with a 12 month free subscription to Apple TV.

I used Banana IT for the purchase of the iPad Pro, can't remember who I purchased the watch from.  Yet they were both authorised resellers.

• Like 1

An Apple Authorized Reseller (AAR) is a business partner that has entered into a contractual relationship with Apple Computer Inc., to sell software and/or hardware products. The Apple website maintains lists of authorized corporate resellers and catalog/Internet resellers.

• Like 1

I would be a bit careful purchasing high-end electronics from a seller on Lazada. A couple of years ago I purchased a Samsung Galaxy S9 that was supposedly new. It did appear to be new and had all the correct (apparently) packaging, labeling and accessories. After checking its serial number online, It turned out to have been a model made for the Korean market and it had been rooted with software that was flagged by Bangkok Bank's mobile banking app. The software that was used to root the phone could not be uninstalled. The good news was that the seller accepted it for return and offered me a replacement.

If the iPhone is really coming from an authorized Apple reseller, then I don't think you would would receive a counterfeit, but perhaps a grey market or refurbished one. Check the seller's return policy before you buy, however. You also might contact the seller and specifically as if it is a refurb or grey market phone.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, lujanit said:

Jerome my friend, in my case you are wrong in this.  I have purchased an iPad Pro (latest model) and an Apple Watch (series 6) within the last 12 months from authorised resellers.  Both items came from Apple and with full Apple warranty.  In the case of the iPad Pro it came with a 12 month free subscription to Apple TV.

I used Banana IT for the purchase of the iPad Pro, can't remember who I purchased the watch from.  Yet they were both authorised resellers.

You are incorrect. You purchased those at retail prices, possibly with a small discount. 
I did not say that authorised resellers. were purveyors of fake goods, however as I did say “An authorised reseller  is not Apple.”

as has been pointed out authorised resellers have a relationship with Apple and all of them sell totally genuine new Apple products.

The point you seem to have missed is that a price drop of almost 31% on a phone that has only just been released is impossible from an authorised reseller (it is impossible on any new Apple product even refurbished items usually have less discount, and you can’t get Apple refurbished product in Thailand) it is also impossible from any legitimate seller, and is almost certainly not a new perfect product.

there’s nothing wrong with using authorised resellers I’ve bought from them myself as has SWMBO, though with my current iPad a 5th generation MHR63TH/A I did get a lower price and faster delivery by ordering directly from Apple, the same as my arriving Apple TV, though with that there’s no discount but it’s a lot safer (virus exposure) ordering online. 

FWIW did you get a 5th generation or 3rd generation iPad Pro, and how are you liking it? My upgrade was from a 5 year old iPad Air 2 and the improvements are superb.

If you got a 3rd gen, don’t have a case and want one please PM me as I have a spare that I got before I changed my mind and order for the 5th gen. I have also just got a Basus pencil yesterday and can recommend it as an alternative to the Apple one.

Edited by sometimewoodworker

2 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

FWIW did you get a 5th generation or 3rd generation iPad Pro, and how are you liking it? My upgrade was from a 5 year old iPad Air 2 and the improvements are superb.

I have a 4th generation 12.9" iPad Pro.  Including the case it is way too heavy to carry around.  I hardly have used it.  I have a generic pencil (not the one you have) and it seems to work okay.

I wish I had gone to a place selling Apple products to be able to feel the weight before I purchased it online.

I continue to use my normal size iPad daily even though it is several years old.

43 minutes ago, lujanit said:

I have a 4th generation 12.9" iPad Pro.  Including the case it is way too heavy to carry around.  I hardly have used it.  I have a generic pencil (not the one you have) and it seems to work okay.

I wish I had gone to a place selling Apple products to be able to feel the weight before I purchased it online.

I continue to use my normal size iPad daily even though it is several years old.

The pencil is ¼ the price of the Apple one and with both an active and passive end is in some ways even better than the Apple Pencil. 

The reason I got mine is because my iPad Air 2 has a display problem (my guess is a loose connection), the battery is virtually dead and it has payed for itself as my work computer for 3 years and personal one for 2 m0re. So this one will my main device at least until 2027. I felt that the savings in getting a gen 4 wasn’t worth the difference and it’s the only device with mini LED the speed is ridiculously high and specs are so much better.

I too was swinging back and forth between another 11” form factor (I actually had an 11” almost delivered) and this giant but since my days of carrying it back and forth daily are over the added weight and size are no longer an important factor. I did go to look and handle both and was unconvinced but the display not being available on the 11” was the deciding factor. 

13 hours ago, Excel said:

Why not order from Apple online then you know you get the real product plus delivered to your door ?

Reason is, like said in the OP, the Lazada "Apple Flashship" one is 18,100฿ compared to 25,900฿ directly from Apple.

20 minutes ago, ThLT said:

Reason is, like said in the OP, the Lazada "Apple Flashship" one is 18,100฿ compared to 25,900฿ directly from Apple.

It’s a fake, repaired broken, foreign second quality used phone with no guarantee, and a total waste of money.

it is impossible to get a genuine new iPhone 12 with that, or probably any discount. But as the proverb goes there is one born every minute is that you?

Do you really have enough money to throw away 18k? If so I can give you my prompt pay number ???? 

my wife bought me iphone 6 at apple shop for almost half price at new year sale at bang kae plaza.

I think a new model was coming around that time.

Now shopping malls are closed, but probably all those shops do sell online instead, and discounted. Even calling landline and checking directly for that model price

Edited by internationalism

1 hour ago, internationalism said:

yes, around this time. Shops on the outskirts of town, where poorer population lives, might be giving better deals.

This will tell you why you could get it for that kind of discount 

282BBCB9-D645-4786-9FBF-85661B5839E5.jpeg.c829405fcd749c243911026372ad2334.jpeg

so it was new but discontinued.

still an excellent phone for the price.

also this will tell you why the 12 the OP posted is not a new genuine Apple phone, as it’s still in production, to the best of my knowledge it is also in demand.

D15CC3BE-4771-48B0-9978-66937821D560.jpeg.4c3e8c1a63753fb89c42979e16890000.jpeg

I always buy my Apple hardware at Banana IT. New products and sometimes they have very attractive discounts.
The Iphone 12 mini they sell for THB 21.900,- https://www.bnn.in.th/en/p/apple/apple-iphone/apple-iphone-12-series/apple-iphone-12-mini-64gb-purple-194252431894_d8239l

18 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

It’s a fake, repaired broken, foreign second quality used phone with no guarantee, and a total waste of money.

it is impossible to get a genuine new iPhone 12 with that, or probably any discount. But as the proverb goes there is one born every minute is that you?

Do you really have enough money to throw away 18k? If so I can give you my prompt pay number ???? 

Chill, dude. I was just replying to his question. ????

19 hours ago, ThLT said:

Well if you want to take the risk of a knock-off or fake why complain on here about price ? Pays your money, takes your chance. 

I bought the 12 mini from that store in the 8/8 sale.  Arrived 2 days later, all sealed up.  Turned on and it immediately updated to the latest iOS, the I put next to my iPad and they synced and set up the phone.  I got the 3 months free offers on Apple Arcade and Apple TV+.  It also shows that AppleCare coverage is available via Settings.

It certainly isn't fake, nor second hand and I am perfectly happy with it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StateSix said:

I bought the 12 mini from that store in the 8/8 sale.  Arrived 2 days later, all sealed up.  Turned on and it immediately updated to the latest iOS, the I put next to my iPad and they synced and set up the phone.  I got the 3 months free offers on Apple Arcade and Apple TV+.  It also shows that AppleCare coverage is available via Settings.

It certainly isn't fake, nor second hand and I am perfectly happy with it.

And the price paid and model number?

21 hours ago, Excel said:

Well if you want to take the risk of a knock-off or fake why complain on here about price ? Pays your money, takes your chance. 

OMG, I know. Never complained about price. ???? Was just answering your question and saying why I initially created the thread.

Edited by ThLT

5 hours ago, StateSix said:

128gb, Bt 19,700

So far Thai sounds OK but without the model number, of which there are many. It’s not clear if it’s a just a good price or a fantastic one.

it will be something like this. MG873CH/A

14 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

So far Thai sounds OK but without the model number, of which there are many. It’s not clear if it’s a just a good price or a fantastic one.

it will be something like this. MG873CH/A

It is the A2399 model, which is the global version.