Word to the Wise - Check your Visa!

We did not and had a nasty 20,000b/p surprise at Suvarnabami upon departure. We did not have the cash, and were told that we would have to go to jail if we could not pay! - luckily the cc limits did not kick in.

Despite having applied for an O-A visa we were issued an O visa, which has different reporting rules, which we ignored in our ignorance. Why were we issued an O visa? No idea, we don't even qualify for one according to the official Thai consulate (USA) website. Of course, the situation was not helped by the fact that despite early submission of the visa application it was issued until "last minute"  pleas were made. I was happy to just get our passports back in time to make the flight.

We come to Thailand for 6 months at a time and I was planning to go back to a normal tourist visa and make a few visa runs, but with the pandemic worsening that does not seem to be the best strategy. 

Anyhow, good luck to the rest of you.

g

• Confused 9
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

If you applied for a non O-A you would not be given a non O by default.

Did you really apply for the O-A with police check etc etc.

The reporting for both visas is the same 90 day report.

On arrival you are given an entry stamp with an "admitted till" date. 

The non O would give you 90 days and non O-A a full year. 

Apparently you did not look at these stamps.

You were on overstay after the 90 days and received max fine of 20k. Damn lucky that you were not arrested and deported. 

Live and learn.

Yeah, it seems unlikely the person got an O visa when expecting an OA.  They really are differently handled at the Thai embassy websites in the USA.  But the person used the word "We" in his post, so maybe they did an O married thing or something like that?

27 minutes ago, gk10012001 said:

But the person used the word "We" in his post, so maybe they did an O married thing or something like that?

Doubt it ....note these words at start.

"We did not and had a nasty 20,000b/p"

20,000baht per person (b/p)

'She' wasn't Thai.

Anyway weird OP. Lucky avoided jail.

Stay safe everyone. 

17 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Doubt it ....note these words at start.

"We did not and had a nasty 20,000b/p"

20,000baht per person (b/p)

'She' wasn't Thai.

Anyway weird OP. Lucky avoided jail.

Stay safe everyone. 

A follow up.  I overlooked the fact that the Thaiembassy DC does offer a Non O for retirement.   I had always planned to get a Non OA retirement long stay.  Anyway, my question is, on a Non O, after arriving in Thailand, then what?  Every 90 days have to leave and re enter the kingdom?  Or do you get a one year extension and stay on that Non O?

Visa and Certificate of Entry for Non-Thai nationals who wish to obtain a retirement visa or a long-stay visa (Non-Immigrant Category O (retirement) / O-A / O-X) or who is currently holding re-entry permit for such visas

Visa and Certificate of Entry for Non-Thai nationals who wish to obtain a retirement visa or a long-stay visa
(Non-Immigrant Category O (retirement) / O-A / O-X) or who is currently holding re-entry permit for such visas

Non-Immigrant Visa Category “O” (retirement)

Purpose of Visit: This type of visa may be issued to applicants aged 50 years and over who wish to stay in Thailand for a period of not exceeding 90 days without the intention of working. Holder of this type of visa is allowed to stay in Thailand for 90 days. Employment of any kind is strictly prohibited.

Eligibility:
1. Applicant must be aged 50 years and over (on the day of submitting application)
2. Applicant not prohibited from entering the Kingdom as provided by the Immigration Act B.E. 2522 (1979)
3. Having the nationality of or residence in the country where applicant’s application is submitted
4. Applicant must have a Thai health insurance for the duration of stay, with coverage for outpatient treatment of no less than 40,000 baht and inpatient treatment of no less than 400,000

31 minutes ago, gk10012001 said:

I had always planned to get a Non OA retirement long stay.  Anyway, my question is, on a Non O, after arriving in Thailand, then what?  

First up, I wouldn't recommend a non O-A in current situation.

As for non O retirement, think USA  not that long ago made that available. Might wish to check update on that.

If you enter Thailand on visa exempt or tourist visa you can obtain a non O retirement at immigration.

Note there is current thread with OP report about exactly that process. Obtaining non o after visa exempt entry.

Your non O gives you 90 permit to stay in Thailand. In it's last 30 days you apply for 12 month extension to your permission of stay..

Edited by DrJack54
  • Thanks 1

Sorry I dont believe you applied for a Non OA in the first place. Its almost unbelievable that you went through the whole COE process and obtained the correct OA insurance if you had a Non O issued. The rules are completely different. In fact almost everyone checks their entry stamp. The sheer ignorance here astonishes me.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

First up, I wouldn't recommend a non O-A in current situation.

As for non O retirement, think USA  not that long ago made that available. Might wish to check update on that.

If you enter Thailand on visa exempt or tourist visa you can obtain a non O retirement at immigration.

Note there is current thread with OP report about exactly that process. Obtaining non o after visa exempt entry.

Your non O gives you 90 permit to stay in Thailand. In it's last 30 days you apply for 12 month extension to your permission of stay..

I did just check the embassy website.  It clearly offers the Non Imm O (retirement)

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, gk10012001 said:

I did just check the embassy website.  It clearly offers the Non Imm O (retirement)

Ta. Thought as much.

BTW if yourself or any American can assist the OP in another thread.  ."visas to other countries" can possibly give him advice in that forum. 

Edited by DrJack54

I would certainly be interested in knowing what the "different reporting requirements" are with a "O" visa. I had one myself and reporting was done every ninety days. I am not aware of any difference with an O-A visa. Please enlighten.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Nickelbeer said:

I would certainly be interested in knowing what the "different reporting requirements" are with a "O" visa. I had one myself and reporting was done every ninety days. I am not aware of any difference with an O-A visa. Please enlighten.

No difference in reporting every 90 days.  Even the Elite Visa folks have to report every 90 days.  Now as far as what a local immigration guy may ask for, I have seen reports of monies status, and all sorts of other nits and nats. But the basic 90 day reporting applies to just about everything.  MIght be some exceptions on some visas but I think those are few and far between,

11 hours ago, MrJ2U said:

Big Joke made a misery out of it by only allowing two in a calendar year.

The 2 visa exempt entries per calendar year at land border crossing order went into effect long before big Joke was in charge of immigration.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

The 2 visa exempt entries per calendar year at land border crossing order went into effect long before big Joke was in charge of immigration.

My mistake.

When did that begin?

Just chipping in to say always check your "permitted until" dates. 

I once got a 30 day visa exempt stamp as a British citizen, or so I assumed. For some reason the immigration officer had stamped me in for 15 days despite British citizens usually being allowed 30 days. 

Gave me a panic at the airport when the check in lady informed me I was on overstay of 3 days. However, when I went through immigration expecting to pay a fine they didn't even bat an eye and stamped me through. 

Unsure if I was lucky, or it was just an incorrect stamp and the official knew this or the system was correct. But, always check your stamps if you don't want a heart attack.