COE insurance

I returned to Canada July 21/2021 to get covid vaccinations. I will be fully vaccinated with the Pfizer vaccine September 2/2021. I would like to return to Thailand September 29/2021. I have a non immigrant O retirement visa extension with a re entry permit valid until January 14/2022. The non immigrant O visa extension does not require medical insurance to enter Thailand but the Certificate of Entry (COE) does. My question is does the COE insurance requirement supersede the non immigrant O visa extension of no required medical insurance? I realize covid insurance is required in both cases. Thank you kindly. 

If you fly Emirates it is included in the ticket. i did that and it was accepted for the COE. Also the medical insurance also included as part of the covid insurance is from AIG. It is exellent and like said included and valid until return date on the ticket.

OP -  i worked with the thai consulate in Los Angeles.  not sure if all consulates have the same requirements.  this is the list i had for my non O with re-entry permit.  i wasn't sure if i would be able to return before my permit expired on May 31 and it turned out i missed it and came early july visa exempt instead.  take a look at #4 this is the health insurance that is normally associated to the non OA visa.  and these requirements reportedly applied to my non O/extension of stay issued in thailand as well as any new non O that i might obtain from the LA office.  so it appears there may be two types of insurance that apply to your entry.

Non-Immigrant Visa Category “O” (retirement)

Holder of this type of visa is allowed to stay in Thailand for 90 days.
Employment of any kind is strictly prohibited.

Eligibility / Other required documents :

1. Applicant must be aged 50 years and over (on the day of submitting application).
2. Applicant not prohibited from entering the Kingdom as provided by the Immigration Act B.E. 2522 (1979).
3. Having the nationality of or residence in the country where applicant’s application is submitted.
4. Insurance – Applicant must have a health insurance for the duration of stay, with coverage for
    4.1 outpatient treatment of no less than 40,000 baht and
    4.2 inpatient treatment of no less than 400,000 baht

Edited by buick

I returned to Thailand in late June from the US.  Just like you I have a non-o and entered Thailand with my valid re-entry permit.  I only needed the $100k Covid coverage.  I did not need proof of any other insurance.  At the time I was applying for my COE there were people reporting that some consulates in other countries were requiring the extra coverage.  I don’t recall anything posted from Canadians.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, statman78 said:

I returned to Thailand in late June from the US.  Just like you I have a non-o and entered Thailand with my valid re-entry permit.  I only needed the $100k Covid coverage.  I did not need proof of any other insurance.  At the time I was applying for my COE there were people reporting that some consulates in other countries were requiring the extra coverage.  I don’t recall anything posted from Canadians.

that is good to know.  it was not real clear in my dealings with the LA consulate.  at one point, probably in march 2021, it appeared that the requirements were the same for non O (w/re-entry permit) and non OA.  that included the police report, etc..  i got good service/response time from the LA consulate on everything but the requirements to come in with non O and re-entry permit.  once i got my vaccine appts set up  (april and may), i knew i wouldn't make it in before the permit expired so i went with visa exempt.  i got back on july 8.  we both got back just in time for the new 'lockdown' !!

Edited by buick

13 hours ago, paahlman said:

If you fly Emirates it is included in the ticket. i did that and it was accepted for the COE. Also the medical insurance also included as part of the covid insurance is from AIG. It is exellent and like said included and valid until return date on the ticket.

From what we heard if you fly emirates they even cover the situation if someone on the plane has Covid-19.

6 hours ago, skytrooper70 said:

The COVID and general health insurance options, for Thailand, appear to stop after age 74. Does anyone know of coverages that are available for those over 74 years of age? Thank you.

You can get covid 19 insurance needed for entry to the country up to the age of 99.  See: https://www.tipinsure.com/CovidRegional/product_detail

Most insurance companies will issue medical insurance up to the age of 75. Why do you need the insurance. It is only needed if applying for a Non-OA visa or extending the entry of one.

On 8/10/2021 at 9:17 PM, ThaiVisaCentre said:

From what we heard if you fly emirates they even cover the situation if someone on the plane has Covid-19.

I have also heard so... It should do as it covers from you embark on your journey which could maybe be after you have locked your main door.

• Like 1