Just got invited to get Covid-jab, BUT ...

I have an underlying medical condition (Asthma). Just got an email in regards to a vaccination, requesting a medical certificate for my condition (I'm younger than 60.)

Problem is, I hardly ever see a doctor in Thailand. When I did, it always was a different one. I don't currently suffer under my underlying condition. I don't take medication. So, how can I get a medical certificate for Asthma, which is not usually a health problem for me, unless, of course, I got Covid... Catch22?

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

How did you get "invited" to get vaccinated and what type of vaccine?

I am under 50 and healty, no certificate was required when I got my jab. Once you are on the list, you will get vaccinated. 

i would think it makes a difference to what list someone is on, if on a over 60, 7 medical condition, pregnant list, they want you to prove you are one of those 3 things.

I think the op could have been trying it on saying he has asthma, no medicine, no doctor, but to give him the benefit of the doubt, he should go to the last doctor he saw with regards to asthma and get him to supply a medical cert, after being examined, surely asthma systems would show up during the exam, but i do stand to be corrected.

• Like 2

Having asthma or not is beside the point.  COVID is a repertory virus and most deaths are do to the lungs simply failing.  So, there is less much less risk in getting a shot and have a few side effects that getting COVID, full stop.

FYI, I have moderate asthma and have twice daily hits from my inhaler.  I got vaccinated 5 months ago (we are living in the US right now).  I had some side effects that lingered for a couple of weeks and then was fine.

3 hours ago, steve187 said:

i would think it makes a difference to what list someone is on, if on a over 60, 7 medical condition, pregnant list, they want you to prove you are one of those 3 things.

I think the op could have been trying it on saying he has asthma, no medicine, no doctor, but to give him the benefit of the doubt, he should go to the last doctor he saw with regards to asthma and get him to supply a medical cert, after being examined, surely asthma systems would show up during the exam, but i do stand to be corrected.

The last doctor I saw about Asthma is in my home country, and I saw him 20 odd years ago. In Thailand I only self-medicate with over-the-counter meds (incl. Asthma-inhalers).

22 minutes ago, tonypattaya said:

Can't see that you are an asthmatic then. If you were you would be on a daily prevention inhaler, which helps to lessen the impact when you get asthma.

It's only rarely a problem for me (I only infrequently use an inhaler), but if I got Covid, I guess it would hit me hard because of it.

• Sad 1

Reply to OP:

ExpatOilWorker has kindly provided a blank certificate ^^^ (7 posts above this one)^^^ ☺️ Take it to doctor’s clinic, explain your circumstances and your need for a vaccine. Maybe you will need to visit a number of clinics before you find one who will sign the certificate. 

It’s a bit like opening a bank account when you have only a tourist visa. The banks’ rule is you must have 12 month visa to be able to open an account; a tourist visa is not good enough. However, if you walk around town and visit every bank you will eventually find a branch where the clerk you are talking to agrees to open an account for you, because, perhaps,  they don’t believe in applying the rules rigidly.

in your case, you are not asking the doctor to certify you have an illness like cancer so that you can have some free medical treatment for cancer, but a mild form of asthma so that you can get the Covid vaccine.

Of course, asthma can be a very serious illness. My late father had bad asthma and one of his lungs had emphysema too. Only through sheer strength of will, he made it to the age of 90; he could easily have died in his 40s or 50s.

In my own case, when I was in my 20s and 30s I had mild asthma too, and had to use the small asthma sprays. Gradually, as I aged, I seem to grow out of it. My problem was nothing compared with my father’s.

I no longer put asthma down as a problem on an application form any more, but yours seems more recent, and perhaps occasionally returns.

I had the first injection of AZ last Saturday, but that was because I qualify age wise.

Anyway, shop around at the clinics to see if you can get one of them to sign the certificate. The worst that can happen is they will say no.

Doctors and nurses are generally nice, caring people, and they are aware that the roll out of the vaccines by the government has been too slow.

I am sure that you will find someone who will be happy to sign the certificate for you, and so help another person to get vaccinated.

Good luck.

Edited by silver sea

21 minutes ago, StayinThailand2much said:

The last doctor I saw about Asthma is in my home country, and I saw him 20 odd years ago. In Thailand I only self-medicate with over-the-counter meds (incl. Asthma-inhalers).

Stop complaining and go to a local medical clinic.  Explain your situation to the doctor and show your inhaler.  Chances are excellent that they will give you a medical certificate for a few hundred baht.

Asthma and your risk of becoming ill with COVID-19

At the start of the pandemic, the Government indicated that people with asthma who were entitled to get the flu jab were clinically vulnerable. This is because flu is one of the top triggers for asthma attacks and the assumption was that, as COVID-19 was a respiratory condition, it would have a similar impact on people with asthma. However, since then, scientists and clinicians have been able to gather more evidence on who is developing complications from COVID-19 and we now know more about who with asthma is most at risk.

How your asthma affects your risk seems to be mainly linked to how well-controlled it is. People with well-controlled asthma that is not severe don’t seem to be at higher risk of dying from COVID-19.

People at higher clinical risk are those who either:

• have severe asthma
  • need regular or continuous oral steroids
  • have a history of asthma attacks that have required an overnight stay in hospital.

As a result, many of these people will be in the clinically extremely vulnerable (CEV) group.

However, if you have any type of asthma there is a small increase in the risk of needing to go to hospital if you get COVID-19. Although the risk of this happening is small, it’s still very important to manage your condition well. This includes taking your preventer medicines as prescribed and following your asthma action plan. This is particularly important if you have severe asthma and are clinically extremely vulnerable.

It’s also important to remember that your own level of risk is affected by many different interacting factors. Your asthma may play a part in your level of risk from coronavirus, but your risk is also affected by lots of other things too.

Public Health England has identified the main factors that increase the risk of catching and becoming seriously ill with coronavirus as:

• being older
  • being obese (with a BMI over 30)
  • your ethnic background
  • a weakened immune system
  • having an underlying health condition (including asthma)
  • being a man
  • your job – your risk level is higher if you work outside your home and come in to contact with lots of people every day
  • where you live - if lots of people in your area are infected with coronavirus, it’s more likely you’ll catch it. Find official coronavirus statistics for your area.

Public Health England may update this guidance if the scientific advice or spread of coronavirus changes. Many of these factors are connected and you may be at higher risk if you meet more than one of the criteria.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/need-extra-precautions/people-with-medical-conditions.html
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

So, how can I get a medical certificate for Asthma, which is not usually a health problem for me, unless, of course, I got Covid... Catch22?

Not that complicated. Visit a hospital - preferably hospital, sometimes a clinic won't count - and see a doctor, if you have a health problem, you'll get a certificate.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, khunPer said:

Not that complicated. Visit a hospital - preferably hospital, sometimes a clinic won't count - and see a doctor, if you have a health problem, you'll get a certificate.

It is only a problem when I get a heavy cold, am exposed to dust or certain pollen, or if air pollution is extremely bad. How can a doctor who doesn't know me give me a certificate if, currently, I do not suffer from Asthma attacks?

• Haha 1

Just now, ThaiSanookGuy said:

pay 100 thb and any small clinic will make one for you.

actually you can also give me 100 and I will print it for you.

so funny that some people still do not understand that nothing is serious or important in this country.

I doubt that the big hospital that manages the vaccinations would accept such a certificate. Sure, I could easily get a certificate 'that I am healthy', but this is not what I need.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, StayinThailand2much said:

It is only a problem when I get a heavy cold, am exposed to dust or certain pollen, or if air pollution is extremely bad. How can a doctor who doesn't know me give me a certificate if, currently, I do not suffer from Asthma attacks?

Sounds more like you might be suffering from pollen allergy, you should visit a doctor for a more correct diagnosis...????