Government downplays plan to protect officials against vaccine lawsuits

webfact

te.jpg

By Erich Parpart

Some parts of government on Wednesday appeared to be backing away from a leaked draft decree that would shield doctors and policymakers from prosecution over the country’s Covid-19 vaccination plan.

“The cabinet told the Ministry of Public Health to reconsider the decree as it is not needed for the current situation and the issue might not be eligible as an emergency decree,” Deputy Prime Minister Wissanu Krea-ngam said on Wednesday.

“The draft decree has yet to be proposed to the cabinet so no one knows its details since no one even saw it,” he added.

Full story: https://www.thaienquirer.com/31149/government-downplays-plan-to-protect-officials-against-vaccine-lawsuits/

ti.jpg
  • Haha 2

25 minutes ago, HiSoLowSoNoSo said:

Brown envelopes and commissions when ordering the Chinese crappy vaccine? 

Yes, but that's "Corruption", lorded over by the now-neutered NACC.

I'm not sure that's covered in the proposed law?

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Some parts of government on Wednesday appeared to be backing away from a leaked draft decree that would shield doctors and policymakers from prosecution over the country’s Covid-19 vaccination plan.

Becoming a hot potato... 

• Like 2

what is the difference between treating a broken leg, a pneumonia, or a Covid patient. 

All should be treated with proper care.

Legislation by disease is rather arbitrary and inefficient, moreover this disregards that Medical Personnel have the same duty to any of their patients.:

give the best care possible!!

Shield executing doctors, executing nurses and any other executing support staff - no issue with that. 

The legislative rest, further up and in the drivers seat taking all the decisions, should face the music if the music starts to play. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

Obviously without seeing at least the draft of a law it is challenging to judge, but as a general concept I find this to be troubling, be it for medical personnel or policy makers. Is it Criminal code, Civil code or both?

Unless they are doing something they know to be wrong, negligent or illegal now, then why would they need protection in the future? Vaccines are covered by the Thai FDA for EU, so those are exempt from future legal action. Vaccine manufacturers are fully indemnified in contracts with the Thai regime.

And this can't be about mistakes made by medical professionals who are working too hard, and thus prone to make more mistakes.

I realize that Thai culture isn't big on personal responsibility, but this seems to go well beyond that character flaw.

Someone wants this. Just curious who, and why?

Someone's been a bad boy!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sydebolle said:

Shield executing doctors, executing nurses and any other executing support staff - no issue with that. 

Shield them from what? And why?

(I assume when you say "executing doctors" and "executing nurses" you mean those doing their normal job, and not killing people by executing them?)

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

"Deputy Prime Minister and Anutin Charnvirakul, the minister of health, said on Tuesday that the decree was not his idea but proposed by Permanent Secretary of Health Kiattiphum Wongrajit."

Certain members of this Government are experts at seeking praise if something goes right (not that a lot does when they are involved), but also unsurpassable at passing the buck when things are messed up !

Seems they have a whole pile of medical people lining up to take the fall along with him.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

Shield them from what? And why?

(I assume when you say "executing doctors" and "executing nurses" you mean those doing their normal job, and not killing people by executing them?)

Sorry for that; I separate this subject in legislative and executive. Legislative is the body making decisions; the executive is executing the decisions.

In this context medical staff like doctors and nurses are providing a service and hence are executive.

The legislative sets benchmarks on the level of service - in this case the catastrophic "planning" of the health ministry, its minister and his boss. 

So the doctors and nurses do not have to worry anything - in my irrelevant opinion. The amnesty in discussion does not need to cover them as (eventual) mistakes but can be granted. 
Explicitly excluded from this amnesty are the "higher ups" like the health minister and his bosses - me thinks!