Troll-calling And Personal Attacks

girlx

this is a forum on the internet and as such we are all granted a certain amount of anonymity. therefore we might be free to put forward hypothetical stories to debate, questions we might not normally ask, things we really believe or think. and others are free to debate these thoughts. sometimes there are truly out of line posts, but on a daily basis there is a lot of petty judgement going on all over this place and bored bashing of each other rather than interesting discourse. my suggestion is to try thinking for yourself and allowing others the respect you would hope to receive in putting out their own thoughts. if you disagree, be diplomatic, no reason to be an ass. everyone is learning or they would be dead. just sayin'... from another site i copied this list: 10 tips on how to think for yourself:

1) If in doubt - ask a question.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2) Place experience over authority.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3) Understand People.

4) Don't feel you have to follow the crowd.

5) Trust your feelings.

6) Remain calm (TIT)

7) Gather the facts.

8) Look at Things from Different Perspectives.

9) Cultivate Empathy.

10) Be Brave.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

this is a forum on the internet and as such we are all granted a certain amount of anonymity. therefore we might be free to put forward hypothetical stories to debate, questions we might not normally ask, things we really believe or think.

Indeed, but sadly there is the other temptation that some are unable to resist.. To use their anonymity to take on a role they would not dare assume in any face to face converstation.

yes but that is totally their right. you are free to debate it or ignore it- surely either one can be done with a little bit of maturity and understanding?

Name-calling? On an internet site? I can't help thinking the world is getting soft. first noticed it when the world collectively went gaga after Princess Diana died and it's got progressively worse since then.

What is wrong with a bit of tongue-in-cheek sarcasm and malice being thrust in a thread to spice it up, particularly if it's designed to reveal a particular poster's muddled thinking or wrong facts?

If everyone was nicey nice, this forum would die a pleasant but ultimately boring death.

I personally like being attacked. It's not my fault everyone else is wrong and i'm always right about - well - EVERYTHING.

Edited by bendix

As I'm never quite sure what constitutes a "troll", this is the first time I've used the word in a forum.

As far as I know it's an imaginary Nordic dwarf and I shrink before bashing our Scandinavian cousins.

I personally like being attacked. It's not my fault everyone else is wrong and i'm always right about - well - EVERYTHING.

A self-confident man, probably good looking also and with an interesting character......you remind of somebody 'bendix'...........

me! :o

If everyone was nicey nice, this forum would die a pleasant but ultimately boring death.

Well said Bendix.

I also like being different to the mainstream, not Thai bashing singles me out from the majority here. :o

A self-confident man, probably good looking also and with an interesting character......you remind of somebody 'bendix'...........

that's three of us :D

that's three of us :D

FOUR!!! :D :D

Actually, I agree with Bendix (must be a first :D ), a FEW trolls, flames etc brighten the board, just don't let it get like that 'other' place (something to do with a hole filler made from indigenous hardwood).

Edited by Crossy

this is a forum on the internet and as such we are all granted a certain amount of anonymity. therefore we might be free to put forward hypothetical stories to debate, questions we might not normally ask, things we really believe or think. and others are free to debate these thoughts. sometimes there are truly out of line posts, but on a daily basis there is a lot of petty judgement going on all over this place and bored bashing of each other rather than interesting discourse. my suggestion is to try thinking for yourself and allowing others the respect you would hope to receive in putting out their own thoughts. if you disagree, be diplomatic, no reason to be an ass. everyone is learning or they would be dead. just sayin'... from another site i copied this list: 10 tips on how to think for yourself:

1) If in doubt - ask a question.

2) Place experience over authority.

3) Understand People.

4) Don't feel you have to follow the crowd.

5) Trust your feelings.

6) Remain calm (TIT)

7) Gather the facts.

8) Look at Things from Different Perspectives.

9) Cultivate Empathy.

10) Be Brave.

Don't be such a light weight pony?! Lets all have a group hug!

Name-calling? On an internet site? I can't help thinking the world is getting soft. first noticed it when the world collectively went gaga after Princess Diana died and it's got progressively worse since then.

What is wrong with a bit of tongue-in-cheek sarcasm and malice being thrust in a thread to spice it up, particularly if it's designed to reveal a particular poster's muddled thinking or wrong facts?

We share the same belief but with reference to different subjects :o

As I'm never quite sure what constitutes a "troll", this is the first time I've used the word in a forum.

As far as I know it's an imaginary Nordic dwarf and I shrink before bashing our Scandinavian cousins.

Naah, you have it wrong,...it is a mispronunciation of the word TRAWL......as used in fishing.....when a net is dropped to see what [or who ] can be caught.................... and the verb is trawling..............

ANYBODY WANTS TO DISPUTE THIS? GO ON , I DARE YER !!!!

The Forum Rules state:

By using this service you agree;

1) You will not use thaivisa.com to post any material which is knowingly or can be reasonably construed as false, defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, referencing prostitution (including bargirls and barboys), referencing suicide, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise in violation of any law.

2) Posting another members personal details, photos or web site details is forbidden and will result in being banned. Excessive, aggressive posts against other members, moderators and admin; or flaming will not be tolerated. 'Flaming' is best defined as posting or responding to a message in a way clearly intended to incite useless arguments, rants, and/or for launching personal attacks, insulting, being hateful, useless criticism, name calling, swearing and other bad behavior or comments meant to incite anger.

Could we be clearer??

Within that framework, feel free to say what you are thinking. :o

Well said Bendix.

I also like being different to the mainstream, not Thai bashing singles me out from the majority here. :o

Just as farang bashing makes you one of the herd, maigo? :D

Edited by qwertz

Naah, you have it wrong,...it is a mispronunciation of the word TRAWL......as used in fishing.....when a net is dropped to see what [or who ] can be caught.................... and the verb is trawling..............

You're half right. It's not a mispronounciation. It's from "Troll" fishing, or trolling; done with hooks.

The Forum Rules state:

1) You will not use thaivisa.com to post any material which is knowingly or can be reasonably construed as false, defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, referencing prostitution (including bargirls and barboys), referencing suicide, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise in violation of any law.

2) Posting another members personal details, photos or web site details is forbidden and will result in being banned. Excessive, aggressive posts against other members, moderators and admin; or flaming will not be tolerated. 'Flaming' is best defined as posting or responding to a message in a way clearly intended to incite useless arguments, rants, and/or for launching personal attacks, insulting, being hateful, useless criticism, name calling, swearing and other bad behavior or comments meant to incite anger.

Could we be clearer??

Can you tell me why certain MODS will break these rules? I had to make lengthy complaints to get a certain comment removed. And this was only achieved by making them in person to the owner and moderators and employees of thaivisa. Hence if rules are there they should be upheld by all.

You're half right. It's not a mispronounciation. It's from "Troll" fishing, or trolling; done with hooks.

Trawl Trawl, n.

1. A fishing line, often extending a mile or more, having

many short lines bearing hooks attached to it. It is used

for catching cod, halibut, etc.; a boulter. [u. S. &

Canada]

[1913 Webster]

2. A large bag net attached to a beam with iron frames at its

ends, and dragged at the bottom of the sea, -- used in

fishing, and in gathering forms of marine life from the

sea bottom.

[1913 Webster]

But i still say that the original word is trawl................and mispronounced!.........THEREFORE,I AM COMPLETELY RIGHT.........as usual...........correction.......as always.....!!!

The Forum Rules state:

Could we be clearer??

Astral, what was your framework when you flamed all the Americans on the board with your post on "The Best/Worst Tourists" thread? Was that a "do as I say, not as I do" framework?

Troll : The term used to describe the action of towing a fly or lure behind a boat.

or

the mythical beastie that lurks under small bridges in the countryside and kidnaps small children

:o

Check out the Troll! :o A regular and common sighting in Pattaya Beer Bars (note white string vest and earring)

post-42058-1180378765_thumb.jpg

Funny how some people from other countries try to hijack something taken from another country.

Never seen a troll like that.

post-4485-1180412992.gif

post-4485-1180413010_thumb.jpg

post-4485-1180413024.jpg

post-4485-1180413031.jpg

Just thought i would add my 10 pence worth.

I like beer and i like good looking ladies, does that make me a troll?

If so, so be it...

by the way im married to a Thai lady and have a Daughter.

Not sure why im writing this?? good subject though!!

Just thought i would add my 10 pence worth.

I like beer and i like good looking ladies, does that make me a troll?

If so, so be it...

by the way im married to a Thai lady and have a Daughter.

Not sure why im writing this?? good subject though!!

No, it does not make you a Troll.

But I bet it makes your wife jealous.

lol

My favourites are the ones that start deliberately controversial threads and then denounce their critics as trolls. I also like the ones that get banned and immediately register again under a new name and leap straight back into the argument - a great twist on this is when they forget what names they've been using and accidentally make derogatory comments about their earlier self.