Using Small Electrical Appliances

Ossies

I was wondering if there are any problems with using small electrical appliances from Australia in Thailand on a long term basis. I assume the voltage is the same in both countries? Is it just a question of using an adaptor plug or are there any safety or other issues which mean this is not recommended/should not be done? I am thinking of say a food processor/blender and maybe even a vacuum cleaner. Both fairly new and quite expensive items I bought here and would prefer to bring with me. Thanks

Have a look here :- http://www.crossy.co.uk/wiring/plugs.html one of the 'universal' adaptors should do you just fine, available everywhere, do ensure you get a 3 pin one as illustrated. You can also get power boards with the universal outlets for your printer etc.

If you are remaining in Thailand long term the best option is to remove the Aussie plug and substitute a Thai plug. Yes, voltage and frequency are the same as Oz, ie 220V 50Hz.

Edited by Crossy

I am no electrician , but have a few Australian Items I run here without a problem . Adapters I buy are usually they cheaper ones found outside carefour . These I use on items that don't consume a lot of electricity . The printer I recommend that you use a UPS as there are surges here quite often and I have already blown up one computer monitor from running it direct .

When using the electric frying pan , I chose a wall outlet that has an earth pin as well , although it probably isn't wired up anyway .

To tell you the truth , I would ask myself if it is really worth shipping these Items here anyway , as most things can be bought locally at reasonable cost .

Just my opinion .

Cheers ,

Jim .