Thaivisa Barbeque Party In Chiang Mai !

george

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since I just got back in town: is there a date for this event?

August 18th, and good to see you back PB.

I got a message from KanWin who was saying that the 18th may not be possible - I am not fully sure of the problem but it involves the governement election process which means that after 6:30pm there cannot be any alcohol sold. I am trying to get this confirmed and sent a PM to Buckwheat and George to verify if this is correct.

That said at this stage you are correct - the projected date for the party will be Saturday 18th August and we will be having it at ...........................

ya gonna have to wait a little bit longer

CB

P.I.S.S Head member

I got a message from KanWin who was saying that the 18th may not be possible - I am not fully sure of the problem but it involves the governement election process which means that after 6:30pm there cannot be any alcohol sold. I am trying to get this confirmed and sent a PM to Buckwheat and George to verify if this is correct.

That said at this stage you are correct - the projected date for the party will be Saturday 18th August and we will be having it at ...........................

CB

P.I.S.S Head member

CB,

If there is an election issue it is probably exclusive to the Chiang Mai area and we wouldn't know about it here. Can a member in your area call their local government office or police station and verify if this is in fact the case?

If so, we can't move it up a week because of HRH The Queen's Birthday, so either the 4th or the 25th of August would be alternative dates if you are locked in to having it in August. Just so you are aware, we have 2 other BBQ parties scheduled.....Surin in September and Khon Kaen in November.

CB

P.I.S.S Head member

CB,

If there is an election issue it is probably exclusive to the Chiang Mai area and we wouldn't know about it here. Can a member in your area call their local government office or police station and verify if this is in fact the case?

If so, we can't move it up a week because of HRH The Queen's Birthday, so either the 4th or the 25th of August would be alternative dates if you are locked in to having it in August. Just so you are aware, we have 2 other BBQ parties scheduled.....Surin in September and Khon Kaen in November.

Please don't move it to the 4th...sadwalk.gif

I was wondering what all the banners all around town were for. Hardly likely it would be mid August with the campaigning going on now and has been for at least a week. This is one thing I found in the Bangkokpost.

" Chiang Mai _ Duentemduang na Chiang Mai, a candidate in the polls for Chiang Mai's new mayor, has cried foul over the local election committee's decision to disqualify her from the race.

She will appeal to the Election Commission after the Chiang Mai election committee ruled she failed to properly file her candidacy registration, which rendered her ineligible to seek the mayor's post in the election scheduled for June 24. "

I will check with my other sources to verify the date.

She will appeal to the Election Commission after the Chiang Mai election committee ruled she failed to properly file her candidacy registration, which rendered her ineligible to seek the mayor's post in the election scheduled for June 24. "

I've asked around and the Chiangmai mayoral elections are at the end of this month and not in August so we can continue with the August 18th date. The National elections for PM, etc. are not due before October.

I've asked around and the Chiangmai mayoral elections are at the end of this month and not in August so we can continue with the August 18th date. The National elections for PM, etc. are not due before October.

Excellent news. So the 18th of August is party time..punk.gif

band.gif

Edited by Austhaied

band.gif

Great!!!!!

Now would be a good time to ensure there are ample quantities beer in the Chiang Mai area.

band.gif

Great!!!!!

Now would be a good time to ensure there are ample quantities beer in the Chiang Mai area.

We have reserves..

Just in case this happens..

band.gif

Great!!!!!

We have reserves..

Just in case this happens..

:o:D :D :D :D :bah: :bah: :o;)

Grahame at The Pub is having 6 bungalows built as we speak so there will be accommodation on site if the BBQ is held there. Roughly 600 per night, they look nice so far.

He now has John Smiths and Guinness on tap as well..

Ciao..

A BBQ party! What a FANTASTIC idea!

Count me in! Anytime in August!

I think weekends are best for the majority of people!

I have no suggestions to make in terms of venues,... not being that familiar with CM.

I have no doubt that it will be a resounding success wherever it is held!

Great initiative!

Cheers to all!

Edited by MyPenRye

CB

P.I.S.S Head member

Sorry for not being clear in my pervious PM and post to two Chiang Mai Members of ThaiVisaDotCom.

The Referendum on the New Constitution was quoted as being held on the 19th August.

Could this put a damper on the BBQ on the 18th August ???

Will they enforce a ban on Pubs like in a General Election? On the eve and then on the day?

Yours truly,

Kan Win :o

The Referendum on the New Constitution was quoted as being held on the 19th August.

Will they enforce a ban on Pubs like in a General Election? On the eve and then on the day?

Looks like I need to do some more investigation because I thought the Referendum was in September. They keep moving the goal posts so difficult to keep up as to most recent decision on dates.

Just found this post from Jai Dee > http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=124484 So not sure 100% about this yet.

CB

P.I.S.S Head member

Sorry for not being clear in my pervious PM and post to two Chiang Mai Members of ThaiVisaDotCom.

Yours truly,

Kan Win :o

Kan Win - thanks for the additional information, the obvious advantage of planning well ahead of time is to allow for these sorts of issues. If in the worse case we have a clash of dates we can make changes to the plan accordingly.

1) We can change the date to the following weekend

2) Change the venue to p1p's house as a private party - no restriction on alcohol (ok just kidding p1p so settle down)

CB

Looks like I need to do some more investigation.

I've asked about a dozen Thai ajarns at the university and none know the exact date yet and haven't seen it in the Thai media. One though said something that makes sense. He said that the news media is being quiet due to not wanting to make a mistake in getting the announcement date incorrect. When the date is announced by the media it will be obvious and a lot of fanfare around it since it is a major historical event.

We will probably know in the next 3-4 weeks is my guess, leaving about one month to make our final date announcement.

Looks like I need to do some more investigation.

I've asked about a dozen Thai ajarns at the university and none know the exact date yet and haven't seen it in the Thai media. One though said something that makes sense. He said that the news media is being quiet due to not wanting to make a mistake in getting the announcement date incorrect. When the date is announced by the media it will be obvious and a lot of fanfare around it since it is a major historical event.

We will probably know in the next 3-4 weeks is my guess, leaving about one month to make our final date announcement.

This will have to suffice in the circumstances but will make it a little more difficult for people who are coming from out of town if they need to book time and or flights etc.

I think we should target the 18th and then react when the date of the Referendum is announced.

I asked the guys up here if they had heard of anything about the date and only 2 out of the 10 asked even knew they were having an referendum. Pretty laid back out here in the sticks.

CB

I think we should target the 18th and then react when the date of the Referendum is announced.

I asked the guys up here if they had heard of anything about the date and only 2 out of the 10 asked even knew they were having an referendum. Pretty laid back out here in the sticks.

I agree. If it is on the 19th it may not effect the 18th party date anyway, unless it goes past midnight. :o

I agree. If it is on the 19th it may not effect the 18th party date anyway, unless it goes past midnight. :o

It will almost definitely go past midnight and depending on the venue the will be able to close up at 1am and turn it into a "private party". That will carry it over until 5am by which time I suspect even the most hardy party animal will be looking for a place to lie down.

CB

Grahame at The Pub is having 6 bungalows built as we speak so there will be accommodation on site if the BBQ is held there. Roughly 600 per night, they look nice so far.

Ciao..

He also has a web address now: http://www.thepubchiangmai.com

Things have certainly taken a turn for the better down at the pub, had a very enjoyable music quiz last Friday. There were even a few of the younger set there also. Word must be getting around. Good luck to Grahame.

Cheers

Ciao..

He also has a web address now: http://www.thepubchiangmai.com

Thanks for the link. I was going to post it a couple of weeks ago but apparently was under construction at that time.

Now this has all got very professional I have to ask.....Any idea what time you intend to start?, it's just that some members have famlies and maybee want to bring their children...plus there are poor souls such as I who are committed at night, I would be really up for coming if it started at around 1pm...but if its an evening do...Saturday is busy at my Wife's restaurant and I doubt if I could get the boss to give me a Fri/Sat night off, as with most in this business they are our busiest nights. Even though it was me that suggested the date , a start time was never discussed ..I just assumed it would be an afternoon start...please tell me that is indeed the case. I really don't want to miss it.

Just food for thought.

TP

Get out the Bug Spray!!!!

Baz, RdRokit and myself will be arriving in Chiang Mai on Monday night, 12 July.

We look forward to meeting as many of you as possible and checking out the local watering holes.

Any suggestions for lodging close to the prospective venues would be greatly appreciated.

post-13660-1182344529_thumb.jpg