Math Tutor for English speaking teen Alg 2 - Trig

DrPhibes

Looking for a tutor for my son who kinda did not look forward at his college requirements and did not take a chunk of math and needs Algebra 2 though Trip and possibly pre-calc.  In my day, Alg 2 through Trig was required and you had to request out after your parents met with school teachers and such.  He is familiar with and currently using Khan Academy to work to catch up.

We live not far from Mee Chok Plaza.  Please PM me and lets talk.

Thanks in advance.

This is exactly the type of part time work I was hoping to do when I retire to Thailand, which I was hoping to do last December!  COVID nuttiness slowed that down.  I have a BS in engineering and a MS in Math. I did teach in college Alegebra, Pre Calc, and Calculus to the undergraduates while earning my Masters, so I am still very much aware of some of the sticky points people and I had learning these topics.  I still work in the aerospace industry doing technical work so I would be more than capable of handling the task.  I like to keep my brain active and doing some tutoring seemed like a good thing I could do in Thailand.  I have no desire to deal with a Thai school, work 30 or 40 days a week, have to dress up with a shirt and tie, etc.   The COVID policies are keeping me from traveling to Thailand at the moment and delaying my retirement.  Otherwise I would have jumped on the opportunity to help, make a little eating money, etc.  However, there is a possibility I will punch out and head there next month, as my next engineering contract, lucrative as it is, will not start until late October.   I may just decide to screw it, punch out and head to the LOS.  I don't need to work and take the job as I am fully  good financial wise.  But one never knows exactly how much they will need or what may happen so I was considering on working annother 1/2 year or so while waiting out COVID.

Good luck in the meantime and I hope some other posters with a science and technical background can help.

15 minutes ago, gk10012001 said:

This is exactly the type of part time work I was hoping to do when I retire to Thailand, which I was hoping to do last December!  COVID nuttiness slowed that down.  I have a BS in engineering and a MS in Math. I did teach in college Alegebra, Pre Calc, and Calculus to the undergraduates while earning my Masters, so I am still very much aware of some of the sticky points people and I had learning these topics.  I still work in the aerospace industry doing technical work so I would be more than capable of handling the task.  I like to keep my brain active and doing some tutoring seemed like a good thing I could do in Thailand.  I have no desire to deal with a Thai school, work 30 or 40 days a week, have to dress up with a shirt and tie, etc.   The COVID policies are keeping me from traveling to Thailand at the moment and delaying my retirement.  Otherwise I would have jumped on the opportunity to help, make a little eating money, etc.  However, there is a possibility I will punch out and head there next month, as my next engineering contract, lucrative as it is, will not start until late October.   I may just decide to screw it, punch out and head to the LOS.  I don't need to work and take the job as I am fully  good financial wise.  But one never knows exactly how much they will need or what may happen so I was considering on working annother 1/2 year or so while waiting out COVID.

Good luck in the meantime and I hope some other posters with a science and technical background can help.

Thanks for the quick response.  Have degrees is Chem, Med Tech, and Chem Eng (this last one from UCSB) myself but have owned a business for the last 25 years that requires trivial math skills (use it or lose it, why I need a tutor).  Did the aerospace shuffle in the 80's between 4 companies living in Long Beach, CA.  Have had a couple of other offers for tutoring but let me know when you get to Thailand and best of luck with getting over here!

8 minutes ago, DrPhibes said:

Thanks for the quick response.  Have degrees is Chem, Med Tech, and Chem Eng (this last one from UCSB) myself but have owned a business for the last 25 years that requires trivial math skills (use it or lose it, why I need a tutor).  Did the aerospace shuffle in the 80's between 4 companies living in Long Beach, CA.  Have had a couple of other offers for tutoring but let me know when you get to Thailand and best of luck with getting over here!

I took an Infra Red engineering class at UCSB while stationed at Vandenberg Air Force Base uip the coast!   I understand the trivial math thing.  Some of my jobs have not required much, but most I really have had to use my Trig, and Algebra and Data processing, Least Squares, MATLAB scripts to analyze test data, quite a bit of Inertial Navigation and GPS releated stuff,  etc.  It does not take long to get rusty and no longer fluent.

My BS was from University of Rhode Island, MS from University of Mass at Lowell.  I have lived and worked and been stationed in So Cal for over 20 years since 1982, in and out of the state.  Last stint was 5 years in Rancho Bernardo, CA jus north of San Diego ending in 2019 when I "retired" from Northrop.

2 minutes ago, gk10012001 said:

I took an Infra Red engineering class at UCSB while stationed at Vandenberg Air Force Base uip the coast!   I understand the trivial math thing.  Some of my jobs have not required much, but most I really have had to use my Trig, and Algebra and Data processing, Least Squares, MATLAB scripts to analyze test data, quite a bit of Inertial Navigation and GPS releated stuff,  etc.  It does not take long to get rusty and no longer fluent.

My BS was from University of Rhode Island, MS from University of Mass at Lowell.  I have lived and worked and been stationed in So Cal for over 20 years since 1982, in and out of the state.  Last stint was 5 years in Rancho Bernardo, CA jus north of San Diego ending in 2019 when I "retired" from Northrop.

Northrop was my last employer (left in '92) a windowless building on the property now occupied by SpaceX  ????

FYI.  when I had a few months off between some contracts, I looked into tutoring out of my house in Florida.  It seemed like rates of $50/hour for such subjects was not unreasonable.  I don't know what people would charge in Thailand, or how many Expats there might do it.  I have looked into how one might tutor in Thailand going through and agency or a a company or a university, with regards to work permits, not violating one's visa rules, getting paid, taxes, etc.  I did not get too far.  I even posted a few questions and ideas on the Teaching forum but did not get too far.  You might want to suggest moving your post to the teaching forum.