Hua Hin: Locals get money to offset Covid-19 woes by collecting mussels and oysters from beach rocks

webfact

10pm.jpg

Picture: Siam Rath

Siam Rath went to the area by the Central Grand Hotel on Hua Hin beach and found many people collecting oysters and mussels from the rocks.

The beach - once crowded with tourists - has been deserted for the past 1 year and 8 months due to the ongoing pandemic. 

But right now is a good time for the shellfish and locals are taking advantage of that to help with family meals or even for sale.

Wanasnan from Hua Hin said that her and three relatives came to the beach to collect mussels and had 100 kilograms.

After they were rid of their sand and washed the "hoi maengphu" were graded according to size and sold.

She could sell 2, 3 or 4 kilogram lots for 100 baht depending on size.

Others at the beach said they were keeping a close watch on the tides that were low at present.

They only have a small window of opportunity to make money as the October monsoon in the area will end the season. 

Discover Cigna’s range of health insurance solutions created for expats and local nationals living in Thailand - click to view

asean_now_BB.jpg
  • Like 2

I walk on this section of the beach many mornings. There have always been some Thai's collecting shellfish from the rocks at low tide. But in the last week or so the tides have been extra low and there have been more people harvesting the mussels etc. than I have ever seen before! 

The wife bought a few kilos of the mussels and cooked them up. She and her family love them but not really my choice of seafood.

• Thanks 1