Azalina, a member of the Umno party, has announced her resignation as Malaysia's deputy speaker

1412523345_linamain.jpg.a9ba8b53dea33568b5cd492ba1ffe388.jpg

Azalina Othman Said of Umno announced her resignation as Deputy Speaker of Malaysia's Dewan Rakyat on Monday (August 23).

The Pengerang MP claimed a conflict of tasks and obligations as one of the reasons for her resignation, including being an Umno supreme council member and a member of a ruling coalition parliament.

“Previous occurrences have revealed contradictory decisions within Umno as a party and among coalition government MPs,” she remarked.

“In the future, Speakers and Deputy Speakers of the Lower House should be barred from holding any political party positions in order to maintain the Office's political neutrality, which is a vital characteristic, and to allow them to function without fear or favour.”

She went on to say that the events of the previous 17 months have caused her to think on Malaysia's parliamentary institutions' institutional flaws as well as her personal limitations in performing her duties effectively without jeopardising her professional integrity.

“Since the Emergency Proclamation in January 2021, my personal value system pertaining to the rule of law, parliamentary democracy, and check and balance has been consistent,” said the first woman to become deputy speaker of Malaysia's lower house of parliament.

“My dissatisfaction and distress are well-known, as are the reasons for them.

“My official status is justified by law and procedure, which requires me to obey the Federal Constitution and the Lower House's standing orders at all costs.”

She went on to say that her performance as deputy speaker was hampered by a lack of consultation and cooperative decision-making.