American Convict To Be Deported

I wonder if he is happy to be serving the rest of his sentence in the States. Seems prisons here are more violent.

You must be kidding.

He must have applied like crazy to get the transfer.

US Prison as bad as it is will be 100 times better than a Thai prison.

i don't think prison rapes are as common in thailand as they are in the US.

Guess you saw that in a movie.

i have an MBA in criminal justice. i studied it for 4 years.

This must be a joke. MBA is a masters degree in business. Criminal Justice is a separate discipline and degree granted would not be MBA. Also, 4 years is the traditional study period for a bachelor's degree, not masters degree. I think he saw it in a movie.

sorry, it was a typo. it is a BA (bachelor of arts) in Criminal Justice. anyway, alot of the material covered is in corrections. i was refering to someone thinking that i got my information from movies.

Then what does the 'M' stand for?? :o

I wonder if he is happy to be serving the rest of his sentence in the States. Seems prisons here are more violent.

You must be kidding.

He must have applied like crazy to get the transfer.

US Prison as bad as it is will be 100 times better than a Thai prison.

i don't think prison rapes are as common in thailand as they are in the US.

Guess you saw that in a movie.

i have an MBA in criminal justice. i studied it for 4 years.

This must be a joke. MBA is a masters degree in business. Criminal Justice is a separate discipline and degree granted would not be MBA. Also, 4 years is the traditional study period for a bachelor's degree, not masters degree. I think he saw it in a movie.

sorry, it was a typo. it is a BA (bachelor of arts) in Criminal Justice. anyway, alot of the material covered is in corrections. i was refering to someone thinking that i got my information from movies.

Meth

Man I Hope If I Ever Went To Prison Nobody Would Take My Manhood From Me.

Then pray that it will be Thailand and not the US, in case you would have to go to prison one day.

Are you implying that some prisoners in Thai prisons don't have their way with other men? :D:D

Then pray that it will be Thailand and not the US, in case you would have to go to prison one day.

Are you implying that some prisoners in Thai prisons don't have their way with other men? :D:D

Prison reality is if you are weak someone will take what they want from you.

Be it whatever.

What i am implying is that the incidents of rapes in Thai prisons is far less than in US prisons. Consensual sex obviously and naturally happens.

Thai prisons have overcrowded cells, and the food is lousy, but they are less violent than prisons in the US. If you don't believe me, then speak with prisoners here about that subject, please.

Prison reality is if you are weak someone will take what they want from you.

Be it whatever.

Not everywhere. And not to the same extend.

Have you read through the links i have posted at the beginning of the thread? I have never heard from prisoners in the Thai system of similarly horrific conditions as described in those websites, neither from Thai nor from farang inmates.

Lousy food, cramped cells, yes. But not systematic rapes.

What i am implying is that the incidents of rapes in Thai prisons is far less than in US prisons. Consensual sex obviously and naturally happens.

Thai prisons have overcrowded cells, and the food is lousy, but they are less violent than prisons in the US. If you don't believe me, then speak with prisoners here about that subject, please.

Doubt most prisoners in Thailand have ANY experiences in what prison life in the US is - but apparently you have wide experience in both?...and evrything! :D

Doubt most prisoners in Thailand have ANY experiences in what prison life in the US is - but apparently you have wide experience in both?...and evrything! :o

The comment above constitutes a flame.

From the Forum Rules:

"'Flaming' is best defined as posting or responding to a message in a way clearly intended to incite useless arguments, rants, and/or for launching personal attacks, insulting, being hateful, useless criticism, name calling, swearing and other bad behavior or comments meant to incite anger."

Please refrain from posting such comments again.

A possible explanation as to why Mr. Hunkleman would have requested to be transferred to the American prison system can be found within the reports created by the famed Thai blogger, Panrit "Gor" Daoruang.

It can provide an insight into the basis for this whole thread.

Some excerpts from Gor's blog written from within prison:

However, once or twice a week they do strip searches. Each day we have different guards and some are stricter than others. The normal way for this is that five prisoners at a time are called to the front. They then have to take off their shirt, shorts and underwear and then turn around 360 degrees. The trustees then search the clothes while the guards watch. If any contraband is found, the prisoner is forced to lie down naked on his front and the guard then hits his backside with his wooden truncheon.

----------------------------------------

Now I am the cell boss which is sort of good news, but it is also really bad news. I didn’t ask for this job. The old cell boss is now chained up in solitary confinement. Last week, there was an incident in our cell. It happened during the middle of the night and as I was sleeping I didn’t learn about it until the following morning. Normally these kinds of things don’t get reported if it happens to boys from Burma, Cambodia or Laos. They are never here longer than 90 days. But, this hilltribe boy knew someone who had been here for a while and he reported it for him. The cell boss didn’t actually have anything to do with this incident, but he is responsible for anything that happens. So, all of them have now been chained up and moved to a different section of the prison. The cell boss will probably wear leg irons for about three months. I doubt he will get his job back again.

Well, at the moment I have a really bad toothache. For people living on the outside, a toothache is not really a big deal. You can visit your local drug store to get some pain killer or go to your dentist if it gets really bad. However, here in prison, we have to wait for the doctor to visit our section on Mondays. If we are ill, or think we are going to be ill, we can apply for a doctor’s appointment on Friday afternoon. Then we are allowed to go and see him on the Monday. However, there isn’t usually much he can do to help. He usually just gives us a Paracetamol. This is mainly for headaches but he will give it to you for most problems. This is because he has now run out of the proper drugs. There is no more money for the prison to buy any more medicine and we will have to wait for about two months for the next shipment. These deliveries are only two or three times a year.

Most people have problems like sore throat, headache and skin infections. As there are 50 people in a cell, diseases spread fast.

From before he became a cell boss:

My old school friend, who is a trustee, suggested that I should try to transfer to his cell. To make the move, I had to bribe someone 10 packets of cigarettes. In prison, cigarettes are worth more than money and we use them to get things done. Once I arrived in the new cell, I then paid another five packets of cigarettes to the cell boss in order to have my own space on the floor. I don’t really have a lot of room. It is about the width of my shoulders and the length of my body. However, I suppose I am fortunate because about 30 people in my cell have to sleep on their side on the bare floor.

================================================================

It's not all gloom and dispair, however, and it does provide a very realistic look from a first person perspective:

http://www.thaiprisonlife.com/index.php?op...&Itemid=104

Have you read through the links i have posted at the beginning of the thread? I have never heard from prisoners in the Thai system of similarly horrific conditions as described in those websites, neither from Thai nor from farang inmates.

Having your anus raped in prison happens all over the world and in Thailand I hear it is very common amoung inmates.

In USA raping someone in prison supposedly adds to that inmates charges so unless someone punks you out (makes you be their girlfriend for sexual services) it may be much more prevelant in Thailand as prison system here is extremely brutal.

Having your anus raped in prison happens all over the world and in Thailand I hear it is very common amoung inmates.

In USA raping someone in prison supposedly adds to that inmates charges so unless someone punks you out (makes you be their girlfriend for sexual services) it may be much more prevelant in Thailand as prison system here is extremely brutal.

What can i say. I heard the opposite from friends, both Thai and Farang, who have spent time in prisons here (mostly drug offenses and theft from the farang i know, and my Thai friends mostly violent crimes, and drugs as well).

It of course depends on the prisons. Some are of course worse than others. Mostly the ones in the provinces are worse. I am not saying that prisons are nice here, nothing compared to the standard in Scandinavian countries.

Yes, inmates are often beaten with clubs for infractions. Infractions such as rapes as well. I have not said that rapes do not happen, but not to the extend they are reported about (and confirmed by American friends of mine) in US state prisons, where people who are not gang affiliated can almost count on being raped.

Just read the websites i have posted, and try to find confirmed reports about the Thai prison system as it is today similar to what is written there regarding rapes in the US system.

It might be noteworthy to know the time-frame your friends were in an American prison. The 4 year-old law seems to specifically address the concerns you cite in your 6-year old link:

The Prison Rape Elimination Act of 2003 is the first United States federal law passed dealing with assault of prisoners, requiring "the gathering of national statistics about the problem; the development of guidelines for states about how to address prisoner rape; the creation of a review panel to hold annual hearings; and the provision of grants to states to combat the problem." It was partly a response to a Human Rights Watch report on prison rape in U.S. prisons, which made the front page of the New York Times in 2001.

----------------

Perhaps more up to date links might be worth a look:

National Prison Rape Elimination Commission

http://www.nprec.us/

The National Institute of Corrections

http://community.nicic.org/blogs/prea/default.aspx

----------------------

Has rape in American prisons been eliminated? Of course not, but serious effort has been and is being taken to do so. I'm not sure what, if any, action their Thai counterparts have undertaken.

========================================================

But not to totally focus on the issue of rape in this thread as I'm sure there were a whole host of issues that Mr. Hunkleman considered when requesting his prison transfer, some of the other details of Thai prison life, as depicted by blogger Gor above, should be considered.

Having not spent any time in a Thai prison ... or any time on the wrong side of the bars in a US prison ..... I think I'll reserve my comments about daily prison life and rape :o

That being said, assuming from the 9 year sentence that the guy we are talking about wasn't a major dealer and more likely he was a casual user that got busted. He should be out almost as fast as the next parole board meeting after they have all the facts of his case.

Having not spent any time in a Thai prison ... or any time on the wrong side of the bars in a US prison ..... I think I'll reserve my comments about daily prison life and rape :o

That being said, assuming from the 9 year sentence that the guy we are talking about wasn't a major dealer and more likely he was a casual user that got busted. He should be out almost as fast as the next parole board meeting after they have all the facts of his case.

Most likely a big part of his motivation for a transfer.

The Federal Sentencing Guidelines tend to be tougher than many states have and as a federal case he would fall into this category.

His sentencing length would depend on several factors such as quantity of the drug as well as any other convictions in Thailand or USA. A single other conviction can add an additional year or more to his sentence. Two to three other convictions can add nearly 4 years.

Even with a best case scenario of a previously clean record... and NOT even taking into consideration his other concurrent conviction in Thailand for marijuana which indeed will also be considered.... even relatively small amounts of methamphetamine can result in some rather long times in confinement.

Here are some examples for first-time offenders:

At least 35 G but less than 50 G of Methamphetamine (actual), or at least 35 G but less than 50 G of "Ice" is a Level 30 offense level = 97-121 months sentencing.

At least 20 G but less than 35 G of Methamphetamine (actual), or at least 20 G but less than 35 G of "Ice" is a Level 28 offense level = 78-97 months sentencing.

=========

America is taking a rather hard line against "crank" these days, particularly on the Federal level, which seem to get tighter with each passing year.

Mr. Hunkleman may not see much reduction in his sentencing.

On the positive side for him, the Prisoner Transfer Treaty signed with Thailand prevents him from being sentenced for a LONGER time in the USA than he was in Thailand, such as would be the case in the first example if he has 2 previous convictions resulting in a 121-151 month sentence.