Spinal Exams - Bangkok

mrwebb8825

Was looking for informed opinions on where to go for a good (reliable) and reasonably priced spinal exam. I broke my back in '91 and knew that at some point in the future I may need surgery. Lately that elephant in the room has been sitting on my lower back and it's probably time to see someone for an exam with x-rays and a reliable opinion on how to correct it.

I did a search on hospitals in Bangkok and they list the top 10 with only 2 quoting a price of between 250,000-350,000 THB if surgery was an absolute necessity while the others opted for the come and see reply. Average for the consultation was between 1,000-2,000 THB but I'm pretty sure that won't include the x-rays. 

I'm not concerned about paying the consultation and x-ray fees but I am about paying for the surgery as I don't have coverage for it.

I'm 62 if that matters. In '91 the injury was to the L4, L5 and L6. 1 crushed disc, 1 bulging. They also discovered a bone spur I've apparently had since birth and it may very well be just that causing the issues with pain at the pelvic girdle and right leg.

Any places to recommend or steer clear of would be helpful. Thank you.

If you cannot afford 250-350k for surgery (and if surgery is indicated) then no choice but to use a government hospital.

In Bangkok I suggest Chulalongkorn Hospital. Use their "after hours" outpatient clinic ("clinic nok wela")and ask for an acharn specializing in spine.  13th floor of main building, register first on ground floor for a patient number then go up to 13th floor. Starts about 4 pm on weekdays but someone may be there by 3 pm. You have to go in person to make the appointment. Bring a book and lots of patience -- and a Thai speaker at least the first time.

• Thanks 1