Exit Thailand On British Passport

9 minutes ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

When you say, "leave UK on UK passport" what do you mean?

The only people who want to see your passport is the airline when you check in and they are only concerned about whether you'll be allowed in to your destination.

There is no passport control check on leaving the UK any more - or at least there wasn't, the last time we visited (2019).

I stated that you should always leave a country on the same passport you used to enter it.  

Someone responded, "not true", they entered the UK on their UK passport but left the UK on their Australian passport.  That is what I was responding to.

So the real question is how did this person "leave the UK on their Australian passport" if in fact the UK doesn't check people on exit?  Maybe this person did this many years ago when the UK did check on people on exit.

Nevertheless, my point still stands.  You must leave a country on the passport that you used to enter it.

3 hours ago, StevieAus said:

In the UK you don’t pass through Immigration when leaving the country.

Thanks for that information.  I was responding to someone who replied to my statement that you always leave the country on the same passport you used to enter it, with "not true."  They said they entered the UK on their UK passport and "left the UK on their Australian passport." 

So, I guess the question would be how did they "leave the UK on their Australian passport" if the UK doesn't check on exit.  Maybe they did this years ago when they did check.  Still seems to me it would have caused a problem if they had checked.

13 minutes ago, skatewash said:

I stated that you should always leave a country on the same passport you used to enter it.  

Someone responded, "not true"

That's because it's not true - not for the UK. You don't have to leave the UK on the same passport you used to enter. For instance, my daughter has both Thai and UK passports. She would be perfectly entitled to enter the UK with her UK passport and then leave carrying only her Thai passport.

She wouldn't, because then she'd need a visa to return to the UK, but she could if she wanted.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

That's because it's not true - not for the UK. You don't have to leave the UK on the same passport you used to enter. For instance, my daughter has both Thai and UK passports. She would be perfectly entitled to enter the UK with her UK passport and then leave carrying only her Thai passport.

She wouldn't, because then she'd need a visa to return to the UK, but she could if she wanted.

I think that's being silly.

My statement was that you must leave a country on the same passport you used to enter it.  Hardly a controversial statement I would have thought.  If a country doesn't choose to check the passport on exit (as is apparently the case in the UK) then it's is impossible to leave the country under a different passport because, in fact, you don't leave the country showing any passport for the simple reason that the country does not check them. ????

Someone replied that was wrong and then gave the example that they entered the UK with a UK passport and left on an Australian passport.  If what you say is true, that the UK doesn't check passports on exit, how then could the person have "left the UK on an Australian passport" as they would have left without having their passport checked according to you.

So arriving in the UK on a UK passport and leaving the UK on an Australian passport doesn't disprove my statement since there's no such thing (according to you) as leaving the UK on an Australian passport as nobody checks your passport on exit.

1 hour ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

They will if she shows them the UK passport she is going to use to enter SA.

My daughter does this going to the UK all the time. At the airport check in desk, you show them the passport you'll be using to enter your destination country - they aren't interested in your Thai immigration status.

At passport control, you show the Imigration Officer the passport you entered Thailand with so they can match up the entry and exit status - they are not interested in which passport you're going to use at the end of your journey.

If yse a uk passport to entry the uk they dont stamp it. We talking using a thai passport or a uk passport to enter SA and they stamp a entry stamp in it so when you leave also get a exit stamp both have dates on so they know how long you been there. If use a uk passport to leave Thailand no Visa needed but can only get back to Thailand using same passport as thai passport will not have a exit stamp but if yse a thai passport then will need a Visa 

23 minutes ago, skatewash said:

I think that's being silly.

My statement was that you must leave a country on the same passport you used to enter it.  Hardly a controversial statement I would have thought.  If a country doesn't choose to check the passport on exit (as is apparently the case in the UK) then it's is impossible to leave the country under a different passport because, in fact, you don't leave the country showing any passport for the simple reason that the country does not check them. ????

Someone replied that was wrong and then gave the example that they entered the UK with a UK passport and left on an Australian passport.  If what you say is true, that the UK doesn't check passports on exit, how then could the person have "left the UK on an Australian passport" as they would have left without having their passport checked according to you.

So arriving in the UK on a UK passport and leaving the UK on an Australian passport doesn't disprove my statement since there's no such thing (according to you) as leaving the UK on an Australian passport as nobody checks your passport on exit.

Not so. According to me (and I'm pretty sure I know that I mean better than anyone else does) what I'm saying is that if my daughter enters the UK with her UK passport and leaves with only her Thai one, she has clearly left the UK on her Thai passport, since it's the only one she was carrying.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

Not so. According to me (and I'm pretty sure I know that I mean better than anyone else does) what I'm saying is that if my daughter enters the UK with her UK passport and leaves with only her Thai one, she has clearly left the UK on her Thai passport, since it's the only one she was carrying.

She didn't leave the UK on her Thai passport.  She left the UK on her UK passport.  What passport she was "carrying" or "not carrying" has no impact on how she is recorded in the immigration records of the UK.

• Thanks 1