Toyota Fortuners

Maigo6

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just mainly,out of curiosity,what is so mechanically naff about the vehicle to make people veiw the owners badly.toyota have been building 4x4's,or these type of vehicles for awile now.

just mainly,out of curiosity,what is so mechanically naff about the vehicle to make people veiw the owners badly

In purely mechanical terms the Fortuna is little more than a 'Pimped up pick-up', but its the combination of Fortuna and and other things, see my post above that I find amusing.

It's a cliche....

The must have accessory, raved about as something special but that in all truth is mediocre.

Personally, I don't know why you are so proud.

First car I have ever had that was brand new in my life, never able to afford it before, so maybe I am proud of myself for the achievement instead of pizzing all my money up the wall as I used to do in a previous life.

Mazda 3, no thanks. I kinda like the SUV style of motor, I have a small dick and need a car that steamrollers over Mazda's without feeling a thing.

I want to get a Huge Pick up too and intimidate Mazda owners in the Khon Kaen area!!

Hey Neeranam, I will be a regular visitor to KK as the younger sister is just starting at the Technical College, I will look out for a Farang in a Mazda and tailgate you flashing my lights!! :o:D

I think the general dislike towards Fortuners and their owners is down to exactly what was mentioned in a previous post.Usually the fecker whos flashing his lights about 5" behind me is driving ................a Fortuner!

Maybe its the size of the ugly pile of poo that turns the driver into 'King of the Soi'.

I'm a regular Fortuna Driver Basher.. I mean it's such a cliché - Fortuna, BigC, Camel Trophy outfit, the 'Family' and the 'Expat Swagger' (Do guys walk like that back home or is it something to do with the Fortuna Seats?)

More than that I think the Fortuna epitomizes "Farang going through the Bamboo Curtain" - They bought a car because they believed the rot they were told about it.

A second rate vehicle, that is only selling because there are no real alternatives in the price bracket. Like much in Thailand, second rate gets praised as first rate because... there is no alternative.

It's not the vehicle I bash, its those that believe the rot.

Well I know next to nothing about cars, except I've driven a huge number of them over the past 44 years - and that's just about everything from top of the range BMW's and Mercs to pre second world war English Standards, and I reckon the 'Tuners are great. In fact they re-ignited my pleasure in driving.

In Thailand I used to have a Ford Escape, which I bought from new and had for 3 years before changing to a Tuner. The escape was good and I was very satisfied, but it's not a patch on the Fortuner. I live 15kms east of Pattaya, where the roads leave a lot to be desired, and I also travel quite a lot up country and the Fortuner is the ideal vehicle. On good roads it will purr along at 140 clicks, on bad roads, you feel little discomfort, and when you put your foot down you can accelerate out of most situations, and it will carry a lot of people and/or goods.

Sure its not perfect, but you get a whole load of vehicle for your money.

My family - from the UK - who are all nuts about cars - were also very impressed with the 'Tuner's performance ,when they came to visit - and believe me, they were not just being polite.

I can't comment about the farang 'Tuner drivers. Out here, most farangs drive pick ups - but you can't criticise a car because of its drivers.

I also love the Jazz - a wonderful little car that is also a pleasure to drive.

Thats my contribution - I'll leave it to others to argue further.

I'm a regular Fortuna Driver Basher.. I mean it's such a cliché - Fortuna, BigC, Camel Trophy outfit, the 'Family' and the 'Expat Swagger' (Do guys walk like that back home or is it something to do with the Fortuna Seats?)

More than that I think the Fortuna epitomizes "Farang going through the Bamboo Curtain" - They bought a car because they believed the rot they were told about it.

A second rate vehicle, that is only selling because there are no real alternatives in the price bracket. Like much in Thailand, second rate gets praised as first rate because... there is no alternative.

Wow, GH usually gets it right. Oh well, no one bats 1.0000.

'Expat Swagger' - lol.....okay....whatever you say; I did hear you know a lot about prancing about. :D

'believed the rot I was told about it' - nobody told me anything about it. I test drove one. It fit my needs. I bought it.

'second rate vehicle' - hmmmmm.....honestly I've never 'rated' the Fortuner. Maybe it is second rate, I don't really know. All I know is that it has everything I need. I've put 25K on mine with nary a problem.

I'm very happy with my decision to buy the Fortuner; would do it again.

What's a 'Camel Trophy' outfit? :o

My 'Family' consists of me and my wife. We live 90k from her family and roughly 10,000 miles from mine.

Personally, I don't know why you are so proud.

First car I have ever had that was brand new in my life, never able to afford it before, so maybe I am proud of myself for the achievement instead of pizzing all my money up the wall as I used to do in a previous life.

Mazda 3, no thanks. I kinda like the SUV style of motor, I have a small dick and need a car that steamrollers over Mazda's without feeling a thing.

I want to get a Huge Pick up too and intimidate Mazda owners in the Khon Kaen area!!

Hey Neeranam, I will be a regular visitor to KK as the younger sister is just starting at the Technical College, I will look out for a Farang in a Mazda and tailgate you flashing my lights!! :o:D

I'm seriously thinking of buying this veheeicle(as you say). I've had anough of the bullying.

post-11421-1180458351_thumb.jpg

I buy a large shopping once a month so need the space in the back. And once a year I like to play Songkran. Also we may move house in the next 5 years, so I'd better be safe and buy it.

Either that or I need a good psychologist to deal with the intimidation.

There was a thread a while back about pick-ups- http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...=23897&st=0

Seriously Maigo6, if you come to KK, give me a shout. I can lend you my vacuum pump. :D

I have noticed on a few threads that Fortuner owners come into some kind of sterotypical bracket by certain posters.

Are Fortuner owners different to a Honda Jazz owner ?

Why the Fortuner owners bashing ?

Do they sell Fortuners in Tokyo?

I have noticed on a few threads that Fortuner owners come into some kind of sterotypical bracket by certain posters.

Are Fortuner owners different to a Honda Jazz owner ?

Why the Fortuner owners bashing ?

Do they sell Fortuners in Tokyo?

Never seen one in Tokyo.

I wouldn't bash em... but I still think it's a POS (not to mention just too bloody many of them around). They don't even have to/can't pass NCAP or NHTSA crash tests... that alone is a deal-breaker.

edit: spelling

Edited by teejay

Fortuners are victims of their own success. It's a great truck. But It's become a poser status symbol for the easily influenced.

A black one pimped out with 22"wheels and low profile tyres screams ignorance. :D

The drivers of these pimped out shiny garbage zip around honking at pedestrians as if to further prove what stupid a$$holes they are!! :o

So what at least I don't have to be making their payments!

Well said that man. Spot on.

I was lambasted for daring to criticise it on the motoring branch.

All Hilux drivers would rather have a Fortuner but can't afford it.
Rubbish. Speaking as a Vigo owner I hate SUVs and the Fortuner is certainly no exception. I chose the pick-up for work reasons anyway, and IMO it looks far better than the horrible kid-carrying, soccer Mom style the Fortuner exudes.

My ute looks mean as it has been lowered and has 17s. Will destroy all stock Fortuners performance-wise as it's pumping out near 250bhp.

With a pick-up you gain the respect of the average Thai guy too, much more street cred amongst the motorcycle taxi drivers and other local dudes near my place.

This says it all. You're concerned with how others perceive you. "street cred" :o what are you 16 years old? Wow, impressing motorcycle taxi drivers is really something to aspire to.

I don't give a rat's rear what ANYONE else thinks of the car and motorcycle I drive. I chose my car & bike based on MY needs/wants.

We have two Fortuners in the clan, a 3.0 diesel and 2.7 gasoline, both black, and I've only seen them driven in a friendly manner. Now if you see an aging Toyota Granvia getting bigger in your rear view mirror at a fast rate, steer clear (sometimes I like to pop up through the sunroof and shoot out the 'bicycle' tires of unsuspecting Vios and Jazz drivers).

:o

I think people concerned about the environment have complaints about SUV's in general. I don't get the big deal about any SUV in Thailand they are all built like crap, cheap interiors and ride like trucks (which in fact they are). I have test driven many cars including the Fortuner here and same same as far as I am concerned. I finally settled on a Honda Civic full size regular engine not a city because it rides as well as anything else it's not bad on gas and I can find parking for it. I'm not sure what the major difference between "Thai made" cars and cars in the USA is but the cheapest Kia in the USA rides nicer then the best Toyota here.

All this thread reveals is that it's probably more dangerous to criticise a guy's car than it is to criticise his wife.

Cars aren't that important to me. I know nothing about them. I've always thought Fortuners looked ok but start talking to me about torque, horsepower and suspension, and my eyes glaze over, my attention wanders and I'm likely to answer your question concerning RPM with a general comment about how early rainy season is this year.

Now, get me on the subject of farang's hilarious devotion to muscle shirts, and I can wax lyrical for hours, nay DAYS.

Edited by bendix

However, IMHO there does seem to be a different driving mentality of those driving larger vehicles. It's a variation on the BMW and Merc mentality you see on the motorways...that of being able to drive faster than everyone else and in complete safety and those driving lesser expensive vehicles are not to obstruct their passage. Drivers of larger vehicles, typically 4WD, do tend to be more agressive simply due to the superiority the drivers command through the relative size of the vehicle. And that's not just something peculiar to Thailand but also occurs in many western countries as well.
I think that you'll find that there is a big difference in IQ too, maybe the size of their ***** too :D

All Hilux drivers would rather have a Fortuner but can't afford it. Most Fortuner drivers would rather have a BMW SUV.etc etc.

Selfishness plays a big part in driving a pick-up.

oopss... wrong! i own a hilux sports rider 3000cc D4D limited edition that it's 1.3M baht. can't i afford fortuner then? and i bought this one just before the fortuner came out to the market and i already knew that.

the spare wheel under the fortuner's bump is very very ugly.... :o

Edited by thai_narak

Rubbish. Speaking as a Vigo owner I hate SUVs and the Fortuner is certainly no exception. I chose the pick-up for work reasons anyway, and IMO it looks far better than the horrible kid-carrying, soccer Mom style the Fortuner exudes.

My ute looks mean as it has been lowered and has 17s. Will destroy all stock Fortuners performance-wise as it's pumping out near 250bhp.

With a pick-up you gain the respect of the average Thai guy too, much more street cred amongst the motorcycle taxi drivers and other local dudes near my place.

Are you a window cleaner?

Sad.

oopss... wrong! i own a hilux sports rider 3000cc D4D limited edition that it's 1.3M baht.
Let me guess, you live in Bangkok?

Take a long trip driving on the major highways and make up your own mind. It won't be difficult to see that they do have a different way of driving. Crossy said that it will normally be Fortuner flashing its lights and trying to pass everything on the road. He is 100 percent correct. That look in the rear view mirror will see a VERY pregnant Volkswagen Beetle stuck to your rear bumper flashing the lights. There are some that do drive what we would call normal but they are vastly outnumbered.

i coukln't be bothered, but you have said it for me. Though i must add it is usaualy a fortuner or any other raised pickup.

I like Fortuners!

Their arrival has given given my aging Sportrider an air of gentle respectability, we are now invisible to the motorway patrol cars! We get waved through check points without a second glance. We smile when Fortuners dash past us with their posse of souped up 3 ltr turbo-charged poser pick-ups in hot pursuit, a bit like indulgent parents with unruly offspring!

Occasionally we stretch our legs and go flat out but soon have to pull into a service station, firstly to empty my tank and then to fill it's tank.

So have fun in your Fortuner, enjoy your "day in the sun".

because all to soon you'll be "Kin Istory" , read (Expletive History). AKA the year AF.

I like Fortuners!

Their arrival has given given my aging Sportrider an air of gentle respectability, we are now invisible to the motorway patrol cars! We get waved through check points without a second glance. We smile when Fortuners dash past us with their posse of souped up 3 ltr turbo-charged poser pick-ups in hot pursuit, a bit like indulgent parents with unruly offspring!

Haha............. :o Nice one.

Toyota must do something right to inspire such brand loyalty. I've often said that if Toyota put wheels on a giant turd, Toyota fans would praise it even though it is still a big POS.

Toyota must do something right to inspire such brand loyalty. I've often said that if Toyota put wheels on a giant turd, Toyota fans would praise it even though it is still a big POS.

I also own a 38 year old Mitsubishi Colt, and an 18 year old Mazda 626. I could equally praise their qualities, "Horses for courses".

Well said that man. Spot on.

I was lambasted for daring to criticise it on the motoring branch.

This says it all. You're concerned with how others perceive you. "street cred" :o what are you 16 years old? Wow, impressing motorcycle taxi drivers is really something to aspire to.

I don't give a rat's rear what ANYONE else thinks of the car and motorcycle I drive. I chose my car & bike based on MY needs/wants.

I couldn't agree more with you on this! Let thoughs that think that ALL Fortuner drivers are prats carry on thinking that. I've just bought my Fortuner and am really happy with it. I drive in a sensible way and try to treat all other road usuers and pedestrians with courtesy and the respect that I would like them to extend to me - fat chance in LOS- most drivers drive as thought they are in a bubble - totally spacially unaware.

If you want to criticise drivers, try looking at those pricks that drive the small Toyota buses between Hua-Hin and Bkk - total bl--dy lunatics, give me a fortuner driver anyday.

Love the Jazz but doesn't seem to like being in two or three feet of water - hence the Fortuner for me.

Had an Isuzu 2 door cab on hire for 3 months and thought it was excellent. but not a patch on the ride and quality of the F. Totally different suspension also that makes a <deleted> bit difference no matter what anybody says. Trucks are great if you need to haul stuff around, but I don't want a boot full of water when I arrive home.

Horses for courses as they say, but here is one F driver that you WON'T find stuck up your AR-E!! and that is the end of it :D

O M G . . . . What a completely useless discussion.

(which is Thaivisalese for "I was late seeing the topic and jamming in my 2 saleung's worth." :o )

Anyway, I may get one second hand in a couple of years. Though it also depends on what my wife drives at that time, because I absolutely need at least one proper pick-up in the family, to use during Songkran.

Can't play Songkran from a Fortuner yousee.

Are you a window cleaner?

No. Are you a window licker?

A painter and decorator?

I know one guy with a pick-up because he goes to Viengtienne once a month. Go figure that out, maybe they don't have roads there.

Anyway, I may get one second hand in a couple of years. Though it also depends on what my wife drives at that time, because I absolutely need at least one proper pick-up in the family, to use during Songkran.

Why not rent one for 500 baht for the day, then the rest of the year you can have a proper car.

Edited by Neeranam